Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wilpon's loss could be Brooklyn's gain?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wilpon's loss could be Brooklyn's gain?

    Whenever the subject of a possible third franchise in the NY area gets raised it inevitably gets shot down because of perceived objections from George Steinbrenner & Fred Wilpon.

    Now that Wilpon has blown a substantial proportion of his personal fortune in a Ponzi scam I can see the Mets organisation at least acquiescing to expansion/relocation.

    The only other alternative I can see for Wilpon to dig himself out of his financial black hole is to sell all or part of the Mets.

    In those circumstances a new kid on the block and expansion/compensation fees in his back pocket might seem a preferable option.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Meadowlark View Post
    Whenever the subject of a possible third franchise in the NY area gets raised it inevitably gets shot down because of perceived objections from George Steinbrenner & Fred Wilpon.

    Now that Wilpon has blown a substantial proportion of his personal fortune in a Ponzi scam I can see the Mets organisation at least acquiescing to expansion/relocation.

    The only other alternative I can see for Wilpon to dig himself out of his financial black hole is to sell all or part of the Mets.

    In those circumstances a new kid on the block and expansion/compensation fees in his back pocket might seem a preferable option.
    Wilpon is a bad, bad owner. One can always hope.


    "The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Meadowlark View Post
      Whenever the subject of a possible third franchise in the NY area gets raised it inevitably gets shot down because of perceived objections from George Steinbrenner & Fred Wilpon.

      Now that Wilpon has blown a substantial proportion of his personal fortune in a Ponzi scam I can see the Mets organisation at least acquiescing to expansion/relocation.

      The only other alternative I can see for Wilpon to dig himself out of his financial black hole is to sell all or part of the Mets.

      In those circumstances a new kid on the block and expansion/compensation fees in his back pocket might seem a preferable option.
      You make some valid points, Meadowlark.

      A few nights ago, I did hear that there was one individual who has already come forward to say he wants to buy the Mets. Fred Wilpon shot back immediately that under no circumstances are the Mets for sale.

      Has a familiar ring to it, doesn't it. WE Brooklyn fans all remember.....my roots are in Brooklyn, etc.

      This should be interesting to watch.

      c.

      Comment


      • #4
        It's interesting how, when one domino is turned over how many different things can happen. Things that just a moment before seemed impossible.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Meadowlark View Post
          Whenever the subject of a possible third franchise in the NY area gets raised it inevitably gets shot down because of perceived objections from George Steinbrenner & Fred Wilpon.

          Now that Wilpon has blown a substantial proportion of his personal fortune in a Ponzi scam I can see the Mets organisation at least acquiescing to expansion/relocation.
          As always, I'll be rooting for a third New York City team to materialize.
          Let's Go Mets!
          New York Mets fan since 1962

          Comment


          • #6
            An update to the discussion on this thread, the NY Times has this today....

            http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/18/sp..._r=1&th&emc=th

            c.

            Comment


            • #7
              There is no chance this leads to a 3rd team in the NY area. With the Yanks and Mets moving into new stadiums they have no interest in allowing a competitor into their realm.
              Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by KCGHOST View Post
                There is no chance this leads to a 3rd team in the NY area. With the Yanks and Mets moving into new stadiums they have no interest in allowing a competitor into their realm.
                The Wilpon's losses are estimated to be somewhere between 300 & 500 million dollars.

                The only way they recoup that amount is to sell the Mets or aquiesce to an expansion franchise a la Washington Nationals.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Meadowlark View Post
                  The Wilpon's losses are estimated to be somewhere between 300 & 500 million dollars.

                  The only way they recoup that amount is to sell the Mets or aquiesce to an expansion franchise a la Washington Nationals.
                  In the crashing economy, who is going to pony up $1 billion for a new Brooklyn stadium, while there is a brand-new Ebbets Field clone 5 miles away??

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by qbannik View Post
                    In the crashing economy, who is going to pony up $1 billion for a new Brooklyn stadium, while there is a brand-new Ebbets Field clone 5 miles away??
                    Well, I can tell you this... a new Brooklyn stadium would have one thing Citi Field can never have... a Brooklyn location.
                    X
                    What's THAT guy doing?
                    - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
                      Well, I can tell you this... a new Brooklyn stadium would have one thing Citi Field can never have... a Brooklyn location.
                      Maybe they could call these guys?



                      Then all they would have to do is find a big empty lot for Citi Field.
                      I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
                      - Walt Whitman

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by qbannik View Post
                        In the crashing economy, who is going to pony up $1 billion for a new Brooklyn stadium, while there is a brand-new Ebbets Field clone 5 miles away??
                        Admittedly the chances of a MLB franchise being physically located in Brooklyn are slim but I do think the Wilpon's financial armageddon opens the door for a third team in NY/NJ.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by jnakamura View Post
                          Maybe they could call these guys?



                          Then all they would have to do is find a big empty lot for Citi Field.
                          Heck, all they need to do is get those Not-So-Great Society dinosaur tenements off the Ebbets Field lot and start anew.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I think a start is for someone (?) to offer cash for the Cyclones, Think Wilpon would go for that?, it might be a first step into the territory.
                            Hmm, Jersey Cyclone has a ring to it, make it a AAA franchise, helps with the
                            fanbase and In coney Island, build a bigger Major league park, unfortunately much of the amusement park is being closed, but could be used as land for a new Ball park. Now's the chance to test the water. We already have a Reese/Robinson statue up!

                            Comment

                            Ad Widget

                            Collapse
                            Working...
                            X