62 season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 62 season

Was anyone there the day the Dodgers or the Giants returned to play the Mets?

Originally posted by wishiwasthere4
    Was anyone there the day the Dodgers or the Giants returned to play the Mets?
    WE were at the first game/s in which that "left coast group" played the METS at the Polo Grounds, which was a DH on Memorial Day.

What I remember about that day was that WE went to see how the METS would fair (bad as they were) against the other group. WE were rooting for the METS that day. You must remember that there were several of OUR BROOKLYN guys playing for the METS in that first year, so they were who WE were cheering for. I don't know what the attendance was that day, but I do recall that the place was packed....and judging from all the jeers and boos against that "west coast group" (which went on relentlessly that day), ALL were rooting hard for the METS. I can still picture, coming up from the subway, seeing what seemed like thousands of non-stop people entering the PG. Keep in mind that this was the first real chance that BROOKLYN/NY fans had to openly express all OUR PAIN (for what was done to US).....and as I remember, WE did so in pure BROOKLYN style. I believe the METS lost both games that day, but that day really wasn't about the METS winning, it was about so much more.

c.

Comment

Originally posted by DODGER DEB
      WE were at the first game/s in which that "left coast group" played the METS at the Polo Grounds, which was a DH on Memorial Day.

What I remember about that day was that WE went to see how the METS would fair (bad as they were) against the other group. WE were rooting for the METS that day. You must remember that there were several of OUR BROOKLYN guys playing for the METS in that first year, so they were who WE were cheering for. I don't know what the attendance was that day, but I do recall that the place was packed....and judging from all the jeers and boos against that "west coast group" (which went on relentlessly that day), ALL were rooting hard for the METS. I can still picture, coming up from the subway, seeing what seemed like thousands of non-stop people entering the PG. Keep in mind that this was the first real chance that BROOKLYN/NY fans had to openly express all OUR PAIN (for what was done to US).....and as I remember, WE did so in pure BROOKLYN style. I believe the METS lost both games that day, but that day really wasn't about the METS winning, it was about so much more.

c.
      Dodger Deb, I was there that day at the Polo Grounds too. Went by train to NYC from my home in Wilmington, Delaware. Quite a day. Sandy pitched the first game of the twinbill. The Dodgers did sweep the doubleheader. Sandy was the last Dodger to pitch for Brooklyn and the first Dodger pitcher to pitch in New York against the Mets.

Comment

Originally posted by stan opdyke
        Dodger Deb, I was there that day at the Polo Grounds too. Went by train to NYC from my home in Wilmington, Delaware. Quite a day. Sandy pitched the first game of the twinbill. The Dodgers did sweep the doubleheader. Sandy was the last Dodger to pitch for Brooklyn and the first Dodger pitcher to pitch in New York against the Mets.
        Good for you, stan!

Were you a Dodger fan, or did you come up to root for the Mets against the Dodgers?

c.

Comment

According to Retrosheet the attendance was 55,704 that day. Sounds like a full house.
          Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Originally posted by DODGER DEB
            Good for you, stan!

Were you a Dodger fan, or did you come up to root for the Mets against the Dodgers?

c.
            Dodger Deb, I should probably take the 5th. I was a Dodger fan in 1962. I have never rooted against Sandy Koufax, and Sandy won game one of that doubleheader. Brooklyn born Sandy is by far my favorite player of all time. He was in 1962 and he still is now.

I put together a thread of Sandy's appearances in 1955 that I posted earlier today. I don't have a scanner. If you could scan a photo of Sandy and put it into that thread I would be appreciative. I don't think I have to tell you what hat I want Sandy to be wearing in the photo you select.

Comment

I was also there that day. My biggest thrill was seeing my favorite player Gil Hodges, hit three homeruns in the doubleheader.
              Lets get Eddie Basinski elected to the Polish Sports Hall of Fame.
              www.brooklyndodgermemories.com

Comment

Originally posted by tonypug
                I was also there that day. My biggest thrill was seeing my favorite player Gil Hodges, hit three homeruns in the doubleheader.
                Gil was a favorite of mine too. It must have seemed really strange for him to call the Polo Grounds home. I have always thought that it would have been great if the Mets could have played one season in the Polo Grounds and one season in Ebbets Field before moving into Shea. If Ebbets had been left standing, maybe I would have had a chance to see a game in the one place I have always wanted to see a game. Getting tickets to a Mets/ LA game at Ebbets would have been pretty difficult though I would bet. I saw the Mets play LA at the Polo Grounds in doubelheaders in 62 and 63, and I am greatful for that.

Comment

If memory served me right, this happened on Memorial Day in 1962.

En route home on a five hour trip from my first year of college with my parents, I was listening to the Mets-Dodger game at the Polo Grounds. Charley Neal was with the Mets, and they pulled off a triple play against the Dodgers.

I vividly remember the enthusiam of Lindsay Nelson's description of the event.

Comment

It was Memorial Day, it was a Monday I believe...the Mets had made their first visit to the West Coast and O'Malley Stadium the week before...

The Mets got run out in the first game and Frank Howard hit a late home run to win the 2nd game for the LA National League baseball team (not the Dodgers who of course we all know ceased to exist at the end of the 1957 season).....in the 2nd game the Mets did pull off a triple play although the LA National League baseball team runner did get back and Tom Gorman, the umpire, gave the Mets a big break by calling the runner out.

At the end of the game Lindsey Nelson was very impressed by the crowd and that the vast majority of fans there were NY Met fans not Los Angeles National League baseball team fans.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X