"After Many a Summer" by Robert Murphy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "After Many a Summer" by Robert Murphy

I see no ones posted about it, which is unbelievable!, is it on the "no discuss list?" If so it's probably because it's too close to the truth. Since Robert (the scoundrel) Moses has no PR dept working on his Image I suggest people get this book. It seems to be a meticulously well researched book and is the truth as far as the parts covering what we had knowledge of at the time. It smacks of the truth.

Originally posted by dodger dynamo View Post
    I see no ones posted about it, which is unbelievable!, is it on the "no discuss list?" If so it's probably because it's too close to the truth. Since Robert (the scoundrel) Moses has no PR dept working on his Image I suggest people get this book. It seems to be a meticulously well researched book and is the truth as far as the parts covering what we had knowledge of at the time. It smacks of the truth.
    Amazon has this book right now for $13.44
    you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS
    http://brooklyndodgermemories.freeforums.org/

Comment

This book provides a welcome corrective to the fashionable - but wildly misconceived- notion that if anyone is to blame for the still lamented move of the Brooklyn Dodgers to Los Angeles it is planning czar Robert Moses and not team owner Walter O'Malley.
      you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS

Comment

I just heard about this one the other day. As seen in the "Revising the Revisionists" thread, this kind of discussion is more than welcome. I'd like to get the book myself.

Comment

It would be nice if Mr. Murphy could be persuaded to share some additional thoughts and perceptions here. battlin bake, the dodger dynamo

Comment

Originally posted by penncentralpete View Post
            Amazon has this book right now for $13.44
            That's a great price Pete! as always thanks buddy!, now can get another copy at a reasonable price for when I wear this one out.

Comment

There's been little by way of reviews so far. I am interested to see whether this one will have the same kind of marketing and press behind it as Michael D'Antonio's Forever Blue.

Note that the first customer review on Amazon comes from Henry Fetter, author of the "Revising the Revisionists" article.

Comment

I am in the process of reading the book. Murphy was around the same age as many of us,8-10, when the Dodgers moved. He has researched his material well without having the luxury of seeing O'Malley's personal papers as D'Antoni did. I am sending an E-Mail to Sports Illustrated asking that Murphy be given the same coverage as D'Antoni was given. I'm not holding my breath. Murphy has some interesting background on O'Malley and Stonehams fathers as well. I did get mine through Amazon, they have saved me a ton of money over what I used to pay at bookstores.
                Lets get Eddie Basinski elected to the Polish Sports Hall of Fame.
                www.brooklyndodgermemories.com

Comment

Author Robert Murphy himself weighed in recently:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert..._b_219569.html

The newspaper/magazine reviews remain scarce. Here's a brief one from the Providence Journal:

http://www.projo.com/books/content/B...10.f5a617.html

Comment

I want to read this book, but I haven't seen it anywhere yet.

Comment

Originally posted by EdTarbusz View Post
                      I want to read this book, but I haven't seen it anywhere yet.
                      Amazon.com

Comment

Amazon.com
                        My discretionary fund for books is so tight, right now, that I have to read through a book before I decide that I'm going to purchase it.

I may have to wait until I can get a used copy for about $5.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Zig Tyko
                          How about the library, Mr. Ed?
                          I've been looking there, with no luck.

Comment

Originally posted by EdTarbusz View Post
                            I've been looking there, with no luck.
                            Go to the front desk and order the book. It will cost you 50 cents to do so.

Comment

Go to the front desk and order the book. It will cost you 50 cents to do so.
                              I'll look into that.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X