A Brooklyn boy that still roots for the Dodgers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Brooklyn boy that still roots for the Dodgers

It isn't intended to hit a raw nerve, but I wanted to know if people like this guy is the exception rather than the rule:

http://dodgers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/la...s_la&fext=.jsp

Originally posted by CaliforniaCajun
    It isn't intended to hit a raw nerve, but I wanted to know if people like this guy is the exception rather than the rule:

http://dodgers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/la...s_la&fext=.jsp
    The exception, the old time Brooklyn Dodger fans cannot relate to the left coast team, once the team was kidnapped from Brooklyn they no longer existed for me and many others.

Comment

Without doubt, an exception to the nth degree.

As an anti-Brooklyn rooter and one whose premise is that the only good season is one in which the Yankees win the WS and the only bad season is one in which the Yankees lose the WS, losing to Brooklyn in 1955 was as bad as it could get.

Losing to Los Angeles in 1963 was bad, but nothing compared to 1955.
      Baseball articles you might not like but should read.

Comment

Though I believe that the number of people in Brooklyn rooting for the LA Imposter Franchise is relatively small, something I saw in Brooklyn this past Thursday was disturbing. On the way back from a 5 day trip to Philadelphia, I went into a couple of stores on Bay Parkway, right off the Belt Parkway.

One of the stores ( sporting goods type of store ) had more LA NL Team caps than Brooklyn Dodgers caps and merchandise. Other than one Brooklyn Dodgers style of cap and a Jackie Robinson replica shirt, with the name Dodgers on the front and Robinson 42 on the back, they had no Brooklyn Dodgers merchandise. They didn't have any Brooklyn Cyclones merchandise.

Comment

I was born in Brooklyn in the late 1940's, but moved when I was two so I don't have the deep connection to the city that others that grew up there would. I rooted for the Dodgers while they were in Brooklyn and conitnued to do so when they went West. When Koufax retired I began to lose interest in them. As they became more the Dodgers of La-La-Land I began to actively dislike them.
          Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Unscientific but reliable ( I think) guess on my part is that it is an exception for a Brooklyn Dodger fan to remain a fan of the team in L.A.

When they left, I felt they deserted us, and I lost all my lifelong affinity for them.

I suspect that was/is a prevalent feeling in Brooklyn.

I have no animus toward those few present & former Brooklynites who support the LA team, but feel they are a rarity.

Comment

when the dodgers left brooklyn, i TRIED to follow them. the new york papers never had their scores because their games ended too late. i was always a day behind them! that got very frustrating fast! when the mets came around, we (my family and buddies) all switched our allegiance to the metsies! and we've never looked back. ok, maybe we peeked now and then. regards, pete
              you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS
              http://brooklyndodgermemories.freeforums.org/

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X