No announcement yet.

The 40s & 50s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harold Parrott was OUR Traveling Secretary and Director of Publicity/PR in 1951.

Starting in 1952, Frank Graham, Jr. became OUR Director of Public Relations, and Lee Scott OUR Traveling Secretary.

Harold Parott was made OUR BUSINESS MANAGER sometime in 1952, and held that job thru 1957.

Arthur "Red" Patterson, who was BUZZIE BAVASI'S right hand as Assistant GM, also handled all the Publicity during the 1957 season. He was the one who made the announcement to the Press in BROOKLYN on that fateful day, October 9, 1957, which changed OUR lives forever.

c.

Comment

• After Branch Rickey was bushwacked by O'Malley, the GM position was abolished. Red Patterson started calling himself the assistant GM, when officially there was no GM. Bavasi and Fresco Thompson shared the GM duties.
      Lets get Eddie Basinski elected to the Polish Sports Hall of Fame.
      www.brooklyndodgermemories.com

Comment

• Campy was wonderful, and it still kills me to look at that picture.

Comment

• Originally posted by donzblock
          Campy was wonderful, and it still kills me to look at that picture.
          Sorry to bring up a painful memory, Mr. Donzblock. I was watching an interview with Campy's son, Roy, and it got me to thinkng about his father and the pluck it must have taken to give the world a smile in that situation. Remarkable man.

zman
          Last edited by zman; 07-21-2005, 07:35 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by JACKIE42
            There are photo's I have, that are more graphic then the one you posted, but for the very reason expressed by Donzblock, I will not post them.
            Yes. I'm afraid I exercised poor judgement in posting it. Initially, I thought it was uplifting, the way he was smiling as if to say, "Don't worry, folks. It's going to be all right. I'm going to beat this." Rare courage, when you consider the severity of his hardship. It should have occurred to me that seeing the photo might bring pain to those who knew him best. Sorry for the lapse in judgement, folks. I guess that's why my girlfriend always says of me..."He means well, he's just stupid."
            zman
            Last edited by zman; 07-21-2005, 01:20 PM.

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by donzblock
                  Campy was wonderful, and it still kills me to look at that picture.
                  From the day of his accident, it has always been difficult (and painful) to reconcile pictures of a paralyzed, wheel-chair-bound Campanella with the images of the powerful, indestructible player who guarded home plate so fiercely and who regularly boomed game-winning hits all over Ebbets Field.

When I met him at Dodger Fantasy Camp in the Fall of ’86, Roy had been in that wheel chair for almost 28 years, and yet, in all the time I spent with him, he was unfailingly chipper and gracious. And always, always smiling.

He showed up every day of that magical week in full uniform, and took an active part in all our activities, always ready with a word of encouragement or a story to illustrate a bit of baseball strategy.

Erskine, Labine, Podres, Drysdale, Branca, Snider, Furillo and Roe were also at the Camp that year…but it was Number 39 who always drew the biggest crowds…whether on the field, in the dining room or in the lounge at the end of the day.

I had been in awe of Campy as a player. I now marveled at his spirit, his courage, his love of life despite the cruel blow he’d suffered.

For this Dodger fan, spending a week at Camp was a special experience.

Meeting Campy made it unforgettable.

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• zman
                        Last edited by zman; 07-22-2005, 08:45 AM.

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• zman
                              Last edited by zman; 07-22-2005, 08:49 AM.

Comment

• Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X