No announcement yet.

The 40s & 50s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's been a rainy,dreary day here in Tampa Bay, but those pictures brought a smile to my face. Thanks.
    Lets get Eddie Basinski elected to the Polish Sports Hall of Fame.
    www.brooklyndodgermemories.com

Comment

Originally posted by tonypug
      It's been a rainy,dreary day here in Tampa Bay, but those pictures brought a smile to my face. Thanks.
      Always happy to bring a smile to an original Brooklyn Dodger fan.

Comment

Here is an email sent to me from Bill M. who wants to sell this extremely rare Dodger Lifetime pass.

The "story" of how he got it was told by Red Barber, as follows:

"A Man of Infinite Kindness

by

“The Old Redhead”

Red Barber

Nyack, N.Y. -(AP) June 29,1968

John Martin, 61, who became a well-known host to leading sports figures throughout the United States as manager of the Bear Mountain Inn during 1941 - 1965, died yesterday of a heart attack.

The attack on Pearl Harbor came on the first Sunday in December of 1941. At halftime of the Dodgers-Giants pro football game, Arthur Daley of the New York Times left the press box, came below briefly to where the wives and officials of the teams were sitting and told them of the attack in the Pacific.

My assignment at the Polo Grounds that Sunday was to scout the Giants for their championship game with the Bears the next Sunday. After Daley broke the news I stopped scouting. I went home with the car radio on full force.

As a nation it seemed we were slow getting into an all-out war routine. Three months after Pearl Harbor spring training for baseball came -- and nobody changed anything, or even thought about changing anything. All the clubs went South.

But 1943 was different. The president of the Texas League shut down his league, saying the ballplayers would be more useful in war work. The rest of baseball was frightened the government would close all the leagues.

Judge K.M. Landis realized that the best way of shocking the nation and Uncle Sam into closing down baseball would be to permit the major league teams to train in the South and have the writers send back their sunshine communiqués, accompanied by pictures of athletes and palm trees and bathing beauties. So, the Judge ordered the teams to train in their immediate neighborhoods, in order that "railroad transportation would be saved" for the war effort.

The plan worked and Landis got the "green light" for baseball to continue. He managed a letter from FDR saying baseball was good for morale.

During the years 1943 - 1945 the Brooklyn Dodgers went North for spring training. Branch Rickey was running the club - Larry MacPhail was called into the Army - and Rickey established by far the best "for the duration" set-up of any major league club.

It gets bitterly cold on the plains of West Point where the Military Academy was established back in the year 1802. The winter winds whistle down the Hudson River past Storm King Mountain. But it wasn't cold in the West Point Field House, which is big enough to include a full-sized baseball infield.

The Academy permitted the Dodgers a certain number of hours daily in the field house. The players threw the ball, hit the ball, ran and sweated.

Napoleon said an army moved on its stomach. I don't know about an army, but I do know a baseball club does - especially on steak, milk, potatoes, steak, ice cream and steak.

This is where John Martin comes into the picture. Five miles down the Hudson from West Point was the well-heated Bear Mountain Inn. Martin ran it.

He set a bountiful table. He had a variety but always steak. Where he got them from I never asked him.

It was truly a hardship spring.

John Martin was one of the few genuine men I've ever known. He was intelligent, but was without guile. He took you as you said you were.

John was a vigorous man, always on top of his operation. He saw to it that things went well.

He had the constant warmth of a real liking for people - especially sports people. The list of men from sports who ate well at the Bear Mountain Inn, and never got a check, is very long.

Several times each spring we'd get the word "they" were coming: Herman Hickman who was the line coach at Army for Red Blaik, stout Steve Owen, who was coach of the football Giants, and Coach Lou Little of Columbia. When these three sat down to eat, with the resources of John Martin's kitchen behind them, even the ballplayers gathered in awe.

Finally the war was going better. We knew the next spring - 1946 - we'd leave such rigorous surroundings and be back in Florida. Branch Rickey gave a farewell dinner in honor of Martin.

Marie Martin was there in a pretty dress. The Martin children were there. So were the ballplayers and the writers. The inevitable camp-following free-loaders were also there.

That's when I first heard Ricky tell about talking to his daughters. One of his girls wanted to know what was the single most important qualification a man should have.

Rickey went down a number of assets: wealth, standing, looks, health. Finally he selected "infinite kindness" as the most important.

Rickey turned to John Martin and said he could not say anything better about him, than that he had given to the Dodgers in their need "infinite kindness." Then he gave John an 18-carat solid gold lifetime pass to Ebbets Field - the only one ever in existence.

So John got the reward. The war ended and the teams returned South in the spring.

But for the last ten years the gold pass was no good. How could it be without a ballpark."

I look forward to hearing from you.
        Attached Files

Comment

Time machine

Jackie-thanks for sharing these photos, there just aren't the proper words to do it justice.

If I could get into a baseball time machine, I would love to go to the late 40's and follow Stan, Red, Slaughter and the Cards for a week on a road trip to NY. See them take on Leo & the Giants at the Polo Grounds, then watch them battle the Dodgers at Ebbets. I understand Stan used to tear that place up. I would guess there would also be a few good places in the vicinity where one could have a cold beer and talk baseball.

Maybe catch a fight at the Garden, Dean & Jerry at the Copa. Some manhattans at Toot Shors.

Until they build the time machine, this is the next best thing.
          It Might Be? It Could Be?? It Is!

Comment

Originally posted by 64Cards
            Jackie-thanks for sharing these photos, there just aren't the proper words to do it justice.

If I could get into a baseball time machine, I would love to go to the late 40's and follow Stan, Red, Slaughter and the Cards for a week on a road trip to NY. See them take on Leo & the Giants at the Polo Grounds, then watch them battle the Dodgers at Ebbets. I understand Stan used to tear that place up. I would guess there would also be a few good places in the vicinity where one could have a cold beer and talk baseball.

Maybe catch a fight at the Garden, Dean & Jerry at the Copa. Some manhattans at Toot Shors.

Until they build the time machine, this is the next best thing.
            Thank you for kind words, i agree with you. Until they build the time machine, this is the next best thing.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKIE42
              I suppose some collector would be interested, not this one.

lol, figures you would respond with a comment like that.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKIE42
                1942 Brooklyn Dodgers of Hall of Fame Manager Leo Durocher and members of the Brooklyn Dodgers team in Havana Cuba. Manager Leo Durocher (Left) interrupts his lecture at Dodgers Camp in Havana to pose with his newcomers. Left to right, Back Row; Pitcher Chester Kehn, Pitcher Emile Lochbaum, Outfielder Tommy Tatum, Pitcher Lester Webber, Catcher Homer Howell, Front Row: Pitcher Ed Albosta, Pitcher Bob Chipman, Catcher Clifford Drapper, Outfielder Jack Granam and Pitcher Edward Head.
                It should be pointed out that Leo is addressing the Dodgers in Spanish. Notice how all the players are looking off to the left for the English subtitles.

Also, the guy in the suit standing next to the fellow with the open jacket is obviously Fidel Castro.
                donzblock
                Brooklynite
                Last edited by donzblock; 03-22-2005, 03:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by donzblock
                  It should be pointed out that Leo is addressing the Dodgers in Spanish. Notice how all the players are looking off to the left for the English subtitles.

Also, the guy in the suit standing next to the fellow with the open jacket is obviously Fidel Castro.
                  SI,SI, SENOR, Donaldo

Comment

More ebbets field art/photos:
                    Attached Files
                    Son, we'd like to keep you around this season but we're going to try and win a pennant.

Comment

on deck...
                      Attached Files
                      Son, we'd like to keep you around this season but we're going to try and win a pennant.

Comment

colorized arial photo:
                        Attached Files

Comment

one great HR hitter the Dodgers lost:
                          Attached Files

Comment

color Reese & Gilliam:
                            Attached Files

Comment

Van Mungo:
                              Attached Files

Comment

another color of Ebbets...
                                Attached Files

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X