Ebbets Field Fashions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by penncentralpete View Post
    lol..............I'll be able to spot you in a crowd of 40,000.
    I live in Atlanta. Try 20,000.

Comment

Many of the old photographs depict most of the men and women attending Brooklyn games in suits, ties, and hats for the men, and the ladies in dresses (also with hats). As a young boy (ages 7 through 11) I wore dungarees and a t-shirt. My dad wore a suit, tie and hat (mom a dress). What do you remember wearing?
      I've had the same question jangling around in my mind for a while.

I've always wondered, maybe some of you guys can answer: what was the crowd atmosphere like back in the day? In 2009, when something exciting happens you'll see fans jumping and throwing their hands in the air and screaming, but as for way back when the cheering seemed more...polite? Maybe this is just me misinterpreting all the celebrations of championships from 1940s - 1960s.

And also, you go to a game nowadays and, unfortunately for some little kids, there's a lot of fans (some drunk) who lace every sentence with obscenities and scream out curses at umps. Were fans as loud and obnoxious back then, or was there a bit more formality to the whole ballpark experience?
      sigpic

Comment

We yelled and screamed, but NEVER used the words that are screamed today............never. If you yelled "Damn" back in the day, people around you would stare at you disapprovingly.
        you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS
        http://brooklyndodgermemories.freeforums.org/

Comment

We yelled and screamed, but NEVER used the words that are screamed today............never. If you yelled "Damn" back in the day, people around you would stare at you disapprovingly.
          Did you throw your hands in the air in raucous celebration whenever someone hit a home run? I've seen old footage of ballgames and it doesn't appear so.

Comment

What about author Michael D'Antonio's claim that many fans at Ebbets were rude, and threw bottles?
            Let's Go Mets!
            New York Mets fan since 1962

Comment

Originally posted by Let's Go Mets! View Post
              What about author Michael D'Antonio's claim that many fans at Ebbets were rude, and threw bottles?
              "Many" fans were not rude, and a precious few threw bottles throughout the history of the park, dating back to 1913 (no more than any other park).
              you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS

Comment

"Many" fans were not rude, and a precious few threw bottles throughout the history of the park, dating back to 1913 (no more than any other park).
                That's what I thought.

No mention by D'Antonio, however, about the "gang activity" that some say threaten Dodger Stadium.
                Let's Go Mets!
                New York Mets fan since 1962

Comment

Every ballpark has those couple of undesireables. D'Antonio uses the if it happened once, it must have happened all the time approach. He also tells how shabby and decrepit Ebbets Field was. I don't see anything about how the owner (O'Malley) spent no money on the upkeep of the park. Painting the seats every 2 years and changing burnt out lightbulbe was about the only maintenance, preventive or otherwise that O'Malley ever did.
                  Lets get Eddie Basinski elected to the Polish Sports Hall of Fame.
                  www.brooklyndodgermemories.com

Comment

I'm curious what the Brooklyn B's that are displayed in Dodger Stadium are like. I've been trying to find a close pic of one but can't yet.
                    I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
                    - Walt Whitman

Comment

Many of the old photographs depict most of the men and women attending Brooklyn games in suits, ties, and hats for the men, and the ladies in dresses (also with hats). As a young boy (ages 7 through 11) I wore dungarees and a t-shirt. My dad wore a suit, tie and hat (mom a dress). What do you remember wearing?
                      my dad wore a suit every day and a white shirt and one of those blue hats, not quite a fedora...with a black brim...kind of a Dana Andrews/Alan Ladd special, cop or crook variety...even bums in those days wore shaby suits...seen the pictures of the breadlines? they all have suits on in varrying degree of unkemptnesss...how odd was that? pop would stand when he was excited, never saw him jump up, me I would jump up, you'd hear atta boy real loud , or the ump needs binocculars..you might see some one point on an exclamation...like did you see that!! but I guess it's like the eskimo's, or people from sieberia...the cold doesn't bother them as much as it would us, just like the heat didn't bother all the guys in suits, it was the enviroment they were accustumed too. also with so many day games it meant those businessmen we're skipping out early from the office...

Comment

Originally posted by JOVE23 View Post
                        Did you throw your hands in the air in raucous celebration whenever someone hit a home run? I've seen old footage of ballgames and it doesn't appear so.
                        Sure we did. When the Duke smacked one, I danced and lept about (to the delight of the older Dodger fans). Now remember, I'm talkin' 1950's not '20's or '30's....................

Comment

I went to public school and we had to wear shirts with a collar and dress pants and on assembly day a dress shirt and tie. Men wore hats and there were business's that blocked and cleaned hats, when was the last time you saw one of those? Most home runs or spectacular plays received applause and shouting.

Comment

Originally posted by tonypug View Post
                            I went to public school and we had to wear shirts with a collar and dress pants and on assembly day a dress shirt and tie. Men wore hats and there were business's that blocked and cleaned hats, when was the last time you saw one of those? Most home runs or spectacular plays received applause and shouting.

There's a few stores in Chicago that I know of that block and clean hats. It's certainly not as pervasive as it used to be, though.

Comment

Originally posted by JOVE23 View Post
                              There's a few stores in Chicago that I know of that block and clean hats. It's certainly not as pervasive as it used to be, though.
                              Are hats making a comback? Here in Florida, all I see are baseball hats and football helmets

Comment

I have a brown fedora (ala Indiana Jones) or this guy-> , and it needs a good cleaning and straightening out. Wonder if there are any shops in NYC that can help me out? I wear it in inclimate weather when I get dressed up, which ain't often! Still...
                                unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
                                unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
                                unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X