Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many of us are left

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How many of us are left

    I read an newspaper article about the dwindling number of WW1 and WW2 veterans that are still around today, and that every day we lose a number of those veterans. Not to put these great men in the same context as ebbets field veterans, but someday we will all be gone. my younger brother was born in 1948 and just celebrated his 61st b'day. He was 9 yrs old, going on 10 that summer they left, and he was there once. I would imagine anyone born after 1949 or '50 might have never been there, or, if they were, would have no memory of being there. I was either 8 or 9 years old in the summer of 1952 or 1953, and my father took me to my first dodger game, it was on a Friday night against the St.Louis cardinals. My dad, rest his soul, never remembered when that game was, but it would have to have been on a Friday night. i checked on retrosheet.com and the dates would have either been June 5, 1953 or July 25, 1952. The 1953 date seems more logical because for years i kept a scorecard that had the 1952 team stats. It's fun trying to check back.
    What are your memories of your first ebbets field experience? I would love to here them. By the way, retrosheet has box scores and play by play back to 1952 now. Talk about your time tunnel to the past.

  • #2
    1954. Milwaukee at Brooklyn, Ebbets Field. Snider homers against Lew Burdette in the 1st and the Dodgers roll. I was just about to turn 8.
    you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS
    http://brooklyndodgermemories.freeforums.org/

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by penncentralpete View Post
      1954. Milwaukee at Brooklyn, Ebbets Field. Snider homers against Lew Burdette in the 1st and the Dodgers roll. I was just about to turn 8.
      As recently stated, the first major league game I ever attended was on July 25, 1956, Brooklyn versus Cincinnati at Roosevelt Stadium. The Dodgers won 2-1, in the bottom of the ninth on a Duke Snider walk off homer. All three runs scored were solo homers, by Frank Robinson, Carl Furillo, and the big one by the Duke.
      Let's Go Mets!
      New York Mets fan since 1962

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Let's Go Mets! View Post
        As recently stated, the first major league game I ever attended was on July 25, 1956, Brooklyn versus Cincinnati at Roosevelt Stadium. The Dodgers won 2-1, in the bottom of the ninth on a Duke Snider walk off homer. All three runs scored were solo homers, by Frank Robinson, Carl Furillo, and the big one by the Duke.
        I was at that game with my dad and my best buddy. We were thrilled when the Duke sent that Brooks Lawrence fastball high into the night!
        you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS
        http://brooklyndodgermemories.freeforums.org/

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by jayzeeg View Post
          I read an newspaper article about the dwindling number of WW1 and WW2 veterans that are still around today, and that every day we lose a number of those veterans. Not to put these great men in the same context as ebbets field veterans, but someday we will all be gone. my younger brother was born in 1948 and just celebrated his 61st b'day. He was 9 yrs old, going on 10 that summer they left, and he was there once. I would imagine anyone born after 1949 or '50 might have never been there, or, if they were, would have no memory of being there. I was either 8 or 9 years old in the summer of 1952 or 1953, and my father took me to my first dodger game, it was on a Friday night against the St.Louis cardinals. My dad, rest his soul, never remembered when that game was, but it would have to have been on a Friday night. i checked on retrosheet.com and the dates would have either been June 5, 1953 or July 25, 1952. The 1953 date seems more logical because for years i kept a scorecard that had the 1952 team stats. It's fun trying to check back.
          What are your memories of your first ebbets field experience? I would love to here them. By the way, retrosheet has box scores and play by play back to 1952 now. Talk about your time tunnel to the past.
          There is only one American doughboy left today. His name is Frank Buckles and he lied about his age to join the Army. He never saw any combat and was an ambulance driver. Still he is a hero, and the last American warrior of the war to end all wars. England has one vet left (Royal Navy), as does Canada and Australia. All the Axis vets passed away years ago. The last British Tommy passed away about 2 weeks ago. It's amazing that a conflict involving 60,000,000 could be down to 4...
          unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
          unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
          unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

          Comment


          • #6
            Memories of Teams That Left For the West Coast

            Originally posted by Let's Go Mets! View Post
            As recently stated, the first major league game I ever attended was on July 25, 1956, Brooklyn versus Cincinnati at Roosevelt Stadium. The Dodgers won 2-1, in the bottom of the ninth on a Duke Snider walk off homer. All three runs scored were solo homers, by Frank Robinson, Carl Furillo, and the big one by the Duke.
            I went to the first or second major league game ever played at Roosevelt Stadium, Jersey City, NJ in April 1956. The Dodgers won on a walk-off Sacrifice Fly. I went to one game early the following year at Roosevelt and one game mid-1957 at Ebbets Field.
            The first game I ever attended was a season-ending Giants-Phillies doubleheader at The Polo Grounds on 9/25/55. (Robin Roberts lost the opener and Curt Simmons won the nightcap. Willie Mays hit his 51st HR and Stan Lopata hit his 31st in Game One..The Phillies turned a triple play in Game 2 -
            Bobby Morgan(2B) to Ted Kazanski (SS) to Marv Blaylock (1B), and Kazanski hit one of his rare (13 lifetime) home runs. Giants manager, Leo Durocher was fired immediately after game two ended). I was age 6.
            All of the above games were against the Phillies. Naturally! I was always, and still am today, an out-of-area (Northern New Jersey) Phillies fan.

            *Philly-brownsfan*

            Comment


            • #7
              September, 1942--Mort Cooper beat Whit Wyatt.

              Comment


              • #8
                mid april...46.....I was 6...I would turn 7 after the season.....Dogers beat the giants 8-1, where?? in Ebbets field of course....on that I became a brooklyn dodger fan for life...now pop probably had me to others, but thats the first one I remember...battlin bake, the dodger dynamo...I turn 70 in Oct.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I have a younger brother born in 50 and a sister born in 52...and my brother remembers 55, barely and 56 and 57 my sister only has a few recollections of 57...

                  Comment

                  Ad Widget

                  Collapse
                  Working...
                  X