Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greatest North American Sports Franchise Ever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatest North American Sports Franchise Ever?

A decent argument could be made that the Brooklyn Dodgers National League Baseball Team was the most prominent North American professional sports franchise of all-time.

The nearest contenders to the title might include the New York Yankees, the Green Bay Packers, the Boston Celtics, and the Montreal Canadiens.

“Second-tier” competition would come from the Boston Red Sox, the St. Louis Cardinals, the Chicago Bears, the Pittsburgh Steelers, the Dallas Cowboys, and the Los Angeles Lakers.

These other outstanding franchises are known—with the possible exception of the Red Sox—for their perennial success on the field, the court, or the rink. And yet the point could still be made that all of them pale in comparison to the Brooklyn Dodgers (which won but one World Series championship [in 1955]).

One reason for this evaluation: the Brooklyn team, more than any other organization, *Defined* the culture of its time—on both the local and national scales. And this was largely made possible by the Borough of Brooklyn itself, which was something of a cross-section of American life.

That all depends on how you define greatness. If it's merely winning the Yankees, Canadiens, and Celtics are head and shoulders above all others. Pro Football has several teams within range of each other in titles (including pre-merger) such as, the Steelers, Giants, Cowboys, 49ers, Colts, and Bears. In College Football the Fighting Irish are on par with the Yanks, Habs, and Celts.

If it's impact on a pscyhe then the Brooklyn Dodgers would be near the top of any list. They are the more relavant today than some teams that are still playing! That says alot.
    Last edited by theAmazingMet; 08-20-2009, 08:37 AM.
    unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
    unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
    unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Comment

Originally posted by theAmazingMet View Post
      That all depends on how you define greatness. If it's merely winning the Yankees, Canadiens, and Celtics are head and shoulders above all others. Pro Football has several teams within range of each other in titles (including pre-merger) such as, the Steelers, Giants, Cowboys, 49ers, Colts, and Bears. In College Football the Fighting Irish are on par with the Yanks, Habs, and Celts.

If it's impact on a pscyhe then the Brooklyn Dodgers would be near the top of any list. They are the more relavant today than some teams that are still playing! That says alot.
      You're right; and that's the criteria: impact on general psyche. Here we are, more than 50 years out, and this team is still prominent in many minds. (Compare the number of hits on this site to other teams.)

Were the Yankees, for instance, to cease existing today--I doubt there would be as much residual passion for them 50 years down the road, as there is for the BD's.

Comment

I'll go with most unique

Originally posted by BornthedaythebumswontheWS View Post
        A decent argument could be made that the Brooklyn Dodgers National League Baseball Team was the most prominent North American professional sports franchise of all-time.

The nearest contenders to the title might include the New York Yankees, the Green Bay Packers, the Boston Celtics, and the Montreal Canadiens.

“Second-tier” competition would come from the Boston Red Sox, the St. Louis Cardinals, the Chicago Bears, the Pittsburgh Steelers, the Dallas Cowboys, and the Los Angeles Lakers.

These other outstanding franchises are known—with the possible exception of the Red Sox—for their perennial success on the field, the court, or the rink. And yet the point could still be made that all of them pale in comparison to the Brooklyn Dodgers (which won but one World Series championship [in 1955]).

One reason for this evaluation: the Brooklyn team, more than any other organization, *Defined* the culture of its time—on both the local and national scales. And this was largely made possible by the Borough of Brooklyn itself, which was something of a cross-section of American life.
        The franchise is so well remembered. It seemed to personify the community like none other. It won five pennants in the last 10 years it was there, then left.

Perhaps another comparison would the Oakland Raiders (the first time they were in Oakland). They had a unique identity. 10 straight years of sellouts, and two championships, then they left over a stadium squabble.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Zig Tyko
          With all due respect for the Dodgers, "greatest" is not the woid... most beloved? Yes.
          I "kin" live with that!

Comment

Nope. The NY Yankees rightfully claim that title because they are the most beloved AND the most hated sports franchise in history.

This is something no other franchise can claim.

Comment

Originally posted by beisbolfiebre View Post
              Nope. The NY Yankees rightfully claim that title because they are the most beloved AND the most hated sports franchise in history.

This is something no other franchise can claim.

That all depends on the fans point of view. A Football fan would say the same about the Cowboys, a soccer fan about Manchester, etc. There are millions who have apathy towards baseball.

Comment

Now which team hasn't existed for over 50yrs? which must be a factor in the equation...is there any other team...in pro sports...that hasn't really existed...in 50 yrs that people still talk about this way?? feel this way about??Not even the Philadelphia athletics with all their pennants, world championships and great players..is remembered this way...we talk of greatness, but in regards to championships won and star players of teams that "still" take the field every year...they are in our recent memory...they are in the now...like how foolish it is to pick the top 50 TV shows of all time and include shows that have been off the air less than 10 yrs...or ones that are still on??? the test of time with anything is the true test....by all rights the Brooklyn dodgers should have been forgotten...or fallen into the "Giants" category....Sorry zig...but the Brooklyn dodgers haven't.....O'malley hoped that with the creation of the mets this would happen, it has not....WHY??? Even the Mets owner wishes his team was the Brooklyn dodgers...because we all know where a MLB team should be and it isn't......this fact alone tells the real story of Brooklyn dodger support. there are no gate receipts to count....no tv rights to negotiate...to dodger team takes the field in Brooklyn.....yet here we are in support of out Bums...and we don't give up or let it go....millions of people still love the Brooklyn dodgers....and you have to ask why?? and it should tell MLB something too....it made a mistake...and it needs fixing....bb the dd

Comment

Originally posted by dodger dynamo View Post
                  Now which team hasn't existed for over 50yrs? which must be a factor in the equation...is there any other team...in pro sports...that hasn't really existed...in 50 yrs that people still talk about this way?? feel this way about??Not even the Philadelphia athletics with all their pennants, world championships and great players..is remembered this way...we talk of greatness, but in regards to championships won and star players of teams that "still" take the field every year...they are in our recent memory...they are in the now...like how foolish it is to pick the top 50 TV shows of all time and include shows that have been off the air less than 10 yrs...or ones that are still on??? the test of time with anything is the true test....by all rights the Brooklyn dodgers should have been forgotten...or fallen into the "Giants" category....Sorry zig...but the Brooklyn dodgers haven't.....O'malley hoped that with the creation of the mets this would happen, it has not....WHY??? Even the Mets owner wishes his team was the Brooklyn dodgers...because we all know where a MLB team should be and it isn't......this fact alone tells the real story of Brooklyn dodger support. there are no gate receipts to count....no tv rights to negotiate...to dodger team takes the field in Brooklyn.....yet here we are in support of out Bums...and we don't give up or let it go....millions of people still love the Brooklyn dodgers....and you have to ask why?? and it should tell MLB something too....it made a mistake...and it needs fixing....bb the dd
                  The Dodger Dynamo has said it with perfection. This is precisely *why* the Brooklyn Dodgers are the greatest North American professional sports franchise of all time!

Comment

....the Brooklyn Dodgers are the greatest North American professional sports franchise of all time!
                    "All time" includes the present. One must give credit where credit is due ...and love 'em or hate 'em....it has to be the New York Yankees.
                    Let's Go Mets!
                    New York Mets fan since 1962

Comment

Originally posted by Let's Go Mets! View Post
                      "All time" includes the present. One must give credit where credit is due ...and love 'em or hate 'em....it has to be the New York Yankees.
                      That argument *can* be made, and I admit it. But, I bet if it was the Yankees, and not the Dodgers, that moved to California in 1958--they would NOT have the following (today) that the Bums have.

Comment

That argument *can* be made, and I admit it. But, I bet if it was the Yankees, and not the Dodgers, that moved to California in 1958--they would NOT have the following (today) that the Bums have.
                        I'm not so sure about that.

I always wished that if such a thing had to happen, it was the Yankees who moved rather than the Dodgers & Giants. But times have changed. Today's Yankees have fans in almost every ball park, especially California. I can understand East coast parks full of Yankee fans, but how about places like Oakland where it seems one third of the fans root for the Bombers? Michael Kay once had the cameras pan Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum to prove this point. He estimated a third, and he wasn't very far off.

The New York Yankees popularity extends far and wide.
                        Let's Go Mets!
                        New York Mets fan since 1962

Comment

Originally posted by Let's Go Mets! View Post
                          I'm not so sure about that.

I always wished that if such a thing had to happen, it was the Yankees who moved rather than the Dodgers & Giants. But times have changed. Today's Yankees have fans in almost every ball park, especially California. I can understand East coast parks full of Yankee fans, but how about places like Oakland where it seems one third of the fans root for the Bombers? Michael Kay once had the cameras pan Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum to prove this point. He estimated a third, and he wasn't very far off.

The New York Yankees popularity extends far and wide.
                          OK. This point is good, and well-taken; and I do not dispute it. I think you're right: the New York Yankees probably *do* have more genuine fans than *any* other North American sports franchise.

But, does this make them the greatest? I don't think so. It seems to me--and only those of you who lived in NYC during the "three-teams-still-there"-era could attest to--that the Brooklyn Dodgers were *more* passionately loved, followed, revered, and emulated than their two rivals.

IF this *was* the case, then I think they (the BD's) were the greatest.

Comment

The Dodgers (as great as they were) were only loved in Brooklyn. The Yankees have a world wide following.

Here in Minnesota, I have come across many Yankees fans from throughout the five state region. The following for the Yanks was especially strong in Fargo, North Dakota where Roger Maris grew up.

The Twin Cities had a great rivalry between the old Minneapolis Millers (Giants) and St Paul Saints (Dodgers). I have met many old timers who remember Willie Mays and others who played for both MLB clubs. But not one of them was a Brooklyn Dodgers fan.

One thing more - there are many baseball card collectors in this region. The most popular card collection set in this area (that is, second only to the old time Twins series)? You guessed it: the 1961 Yankees.

Comment

Actually the Brooks had a very big nationwide following, especially amongst the African-American population after Jackie came aboard. I'm sure some of these older young-ins on this board can attest to that.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X