World Series Game 5, 1956

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Series Game 5, 1956

Major League Baseball has made available Don Larsen's game. The Dodgers played well especially Maglie who pitched an outstanding game in defeat. Well worth watching. The DVD contains the entire game from the second batter in the top of the second inning with Mel and Vin doing play by play. The complete radio broadcast is also included. It is a box set of six no hitters/perfect games and also contains interviews with players.

http://shop.mlb.com/product/index.js...366583.2498460

Larsen had a few close calls in that game, but one gets little attention. It was something I didn't know until recently: Sandy Amorós hit a liner that barely hooked foul and would otherwise have been a homer.

Comment

Originally posted by VIBaseball View Post
      Larsen had a few close calls in that game, but one gets little attention. It was something I didn't know until recently: Sandy Amorós hit a liner that barely hooked foul and would otherwise have been a homer.
      There were six possible Dodger hits in the game:

1) Robinson's second inning liner off Carey's glove that could have bounced anywhere but went right to the shortstop who threw Robinson out by half a step.

2) Sinder's fourth inning drive into the stands that was just foul according to the announcer Mel Allen who said he had to wait for the unpire to call it and that the unpire took a long time before calling it foul.

3) Hodges liner to left center than Mantle made a running backhanded catch on in the fifth.

4) Amoros liner into the stands that was foul by perhaps inches in the fifth

5) Gilliam's very hard hit bouncer right at the shortstop could have been a hit if not right at the fielder in the seventh.

5) Hodges hard hit liner to third in the eight.

In the meanwhile Maglie retired the first eleven in a row until Mantle hit his liner into the stands just fair down the line.

No more Yankees hits in the fourth and none in the fifth. Three singles and a double play plated one run in the bottom of the sixth for New York. One more single in the seventh and nothing in the eight for New York as Maglie struck out the side.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobcat View Post
        1) Robinson's second inning liner off Carey's glove that could have bounced anywhere but went right to the shortstop who threw Robinson out by half a step.
        The only thing that I really found disapointing about the video of the game, was that the broadcast picked up right after this play.

Comment

The dvd also cuts out the few commercials that were aired durring it's premiere on the mlb network, as well as cutting off after the game before Mel Allen gave his post game comments as fans walk across the outfield.
          ..."I might have been given a bad break, but I've got an awful lot to live for."

Comment

Originally posted by Gehrig27 View Post
            The dvd also cuts out the few commercials that were aired durring it's premiere on the mlb network, as well as cutting off after the game before Mel Allen gave his post game comments as fans walk across the outfield.
            It would have been more enjoyable with a commercial or two left in and Mel Allen's comments.

The radio coverage does have the commercials, station breaks, etc., left in and in some way is more enjoyable than Mel & Vin, especially Vin who adds little "life" to his play by play, I found Mel to be more "alive" on the big plays. It seems that Mel may have been considered to favor the Yankess when he did the games for them but when he did the games on NBC and Mutual he was balanced, at least I thought so.

http://www.cooperstownmusic.com/complete.htm

Holley Music has the radio game coverage, with pre game, post game and the commercials.

Hope you enjoy.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X