Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Triple A?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Triple A?

    A terrible thing was done when the Dodgers were moved out of Brooklyn. It should have never happened. After reading several threads in this forum, I have concluded that the Dodgers organization is but a shell of its former self now, ever since they moved to Los Angeles.

    But you guys have the Mets now. I know for a lot of you it isn't the same, but you basically have a NL team playing in the same spot the Dodgers would have, if they didn't move. What I'm getting at, is that the Dodgers aren't gonna move back, and I don't think New York City would want another team that just represents one borough.

    But I do think that Brooklyn needs something. So how about a AAA International League team (Mets affiliate), in a centrally-located Brooklyn ballpark that seats around 20,000? A New Jersey or Staten Island Yankee counterpart will make for a good rivalry.

    I think this is the most reasonable solution at this point.
    12
    Yes
    25.00%
    3
    No
    75.00%
    9

  • #2
    Originally posted by JaysExpos View Post
    A terrible thing was done when the Dodgers were moved out of Brooklyn. It should have never happened. After reading several threads in this forum, I have concluded that the Dodgers organization is but a shell of its former self now, ever since they moved to Los Angeles.

    But you guys have the Mets now. I know for a lot of you it isn't the same, but you basically have a NL team playing in the same spot the Dodgers would have, if they didn't move. What I'm getting at, is that the Dodgers aren't gonna move back, and I don't think New York City would want another team that just represents one borough.

    But I do think that Brooklyn needs something. So how about a AAA International League team (Mets affiliate), in a centrally-located Brooklyn ballpark that seats around 20,000? A New Jersey or Staten Island Yankee counterpart will make for a good rivalry.

    I think this is the most reasonable solution at this point.
    Both Mets and Yankees won"t allow a Triple A team into the NY area for a full season and thats why Mets and Yankees has their own Rookie Class A short season team in the NYPL in Brooklyn and Staten Island.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by jints15 View Post
      Both Mets and Yankees won"t allow a Triple A team into the NY area for a full season and thats why Mets and Yankees has their own Rookie Class A short season team in the NYPL in Brooklyn and Staten Island.
      That's a shame. It's too bad Staten Island and Brooklyn don't have Triple A ball clubs. It would have been super convenient for players who shuffle between the Bigs and AAA during the playing season to still be in NYC. Like when the Mets and Yankees used to send Clemens and Pedro to the minors to tune up --they would have traveled to Brooklyn & Staten Island instead.
      Last edited by Let's Go Mets!; 11-17-2009, 11:25 PM.
      Let's Go Mets!
      New York Mets fan since 1962

      Comment


      • #4
        An Atlantic League franchise in Brooklyn would be perfect.

        Comment


        • #5
          At one time there was a AAA team in Jersey City the Havana team moved there during the Cuban revoltion.

          Comment


          • #6
            You would have to to increase the size of Keyspan. For a AAA stadium most range in the low teens some are below 10K but right now the Mets AAA team in Buffalo seats 19,500, although they don't own that team. But demand for a AAA team would be higher. Seattle has its AAA team in Tacoma so it can be done, especially since Citi is much smaller then Shea with higher ticket prices so there unmet demand for baseball. The one thing that would get in the way is the Mets, is that AAA baseball might be too close of an alternative to many fans. If you can get good seats to AAA for $20 would you pay $55 for MLB? Especially if its a year when the Mets suck. Plus if your kids are young they can't tell the difference. Also, if a AAA team consistently sells 18-20K a night it might build a case for MLB to return to Brooklyn.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by aqib View Post
              You would have to to increase the size of Keyspan. For a AAA stadium most range in the low teens some are below 10K but right now the Mets AAA team in Buffalo seats 19,500, although they don't own that team. But demand for a AAA team would be higher. Seattle has its AAA team in Tacoma so it can be done, especially since Citi is much smaller then Shea with higher ticket prices so there unmet demand for baseball. The one thing that would get in the way is the Mets, is that AAA baseball might be too close of an alternative to many fans. If you can get good seats to AAA for $20 would you pay $55 for MLB? Especially if its a year when the Mets suck. Plus if your kids are young they can't tell the difference. Also, if a AAA team consistently sells 18-20K a night it might build a case for MLB to return to Brooklyn.
              I was thinking a more centrally-located ballpark, maybe in Downtown Brooklyn, as opposed to KeySpan. That park is too out of the way to really be part of the fabric of Brooklyn. There are several ballparks in the PCL that are around a 20,000 capacity, so it's by no means out of the question. AAA capacity is generally 10,000 to 20,000. You're absolutely right that there is "demand for baseball" and CitiField does not adequately meet it. If done right, having a AAA team close by in Brooklyn can only strengthen the connection to the Mets, rather than take fans away from them.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by JaysExpos View Post
                I was thinking a more centrally-located ballpark, maybe in Downtown Brooklyn, as opposed to KeySpan. That park is too out of the way to really be part of the fabric of Brooklyn. There are several ballparks in the PCL that are around a 20,000 capacity, so it's by no means out of the question. AAA capacity is generally 10,000 to 20,000. You're absolutely right that there is "demand for baseball" and CitiField does not adequately meet it. If done right, having a AAA team close by in Brooklyn can only strengthen the connection to the Mets, rather than take fans away from them.
                The issue would be if there are consistently 18-20K a night in Brooklyn, a lot of people would start building a case for a third major league team in NYC

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by aqib View Post
                  The issue would be if there are consistently 18-20K a night in Brooklyn, a lot of people would start building a case for a third major league team in NYC
                  Some people are already trying to make that case, but it will never happen, regardless of what does or doesn't happen with minor leagues.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by spark240 View Post
                    Some people are already trying to make that case, but it will never happen, regardless of what does or doesn't happen with minor leagues.
                    I know lots of people are making the case. Largely on this board. But if you had a AAA team drawing 18-20K and its not affecting the Mets I think it would make the case stronger, especially when you have Cablevision out there eady to throw $50 million a year at a major league team for broadcast rights.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      If you could build a 20,000 seat stadium in central Brooklyn then there is no reason why Brooklyn shouldn't have a major league franchise.

                      You also could probably cure cancer, but that's neither here nor there.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Bitter Fan View Post
                        there is no reason why Brooklyn shouldn't have a major league franchise.
                        Sure there is. Brooklyn is already within easy day-trip range of two major league venues, while lots of other cities have none. While Brooklynites themselves would no doubt love to have their own major league team again, such an expansion does little for fans elsewhere, the league or the game.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by spark240 View Post
                          Sure there is. Brooklyn is already within easy day-trip range of two major league venues, while lots of other cities have none. While Brooklynites themselves would no doubt love to have their own major league team again, such an expansion does little for fans elsewhere, the league or the game.
                          A third NYC franchise does nothing for the game? I'd say taking a huge bite out of the revenue of the Yankees and Mets would make a lot of people happy.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Actually MLB in Brooklyn , more specifically "The Dodgers" renews interest in baseball across the board..helps bury the steroid issue .Brooklyn dodgers vs whoever, In their park or away...people will come out....It will be all over the news and be the "hot topic" for a long time..It would send shock waves throughout base ball....Just as it did 50 + yrs ago!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Bitter Fan View Post
                              A third NYC franchise does nothing for the game? I'd say taking a huge bite out of the revenue of the Yankees and Mets would make a lot of people happy.
                              But the argument being made, at least by some, is that it wouldn't take much of a bite out of the Yanks and Mets. If there was any evidence that it would, that would certainly kill the idea from the league's perspective (if it had any traction to start with, which I don't think it really does).

                              Originally posted by dodger dynamo View Post
                              Actually MLB in Brooklyn , more specifically "The Dodgers" renews interest in baseball across the board..helps bury the steroid issue .Brooklyn dodgers vs whoever, In their park or away...people will come out....It will be all over the news and be the "hot topic" for a long time..It would send shock waves throughout base ball....Just as it did 50 + yrs ago!
                              It wouldn't be the Dodgers, though, would it?

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X