Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bitter Fan
    replied
    I feel really bad for guys like Coleman who make it so, so close and then fall just short. That's why I love seeing 29 year old guys get called up in September for a couple of at-bats. Even if they stink, their name is in the Encyclopedia and they've reached their goal.

I know a guy who was a star collegiate catcher and had a successful minor league career. Unfortunately he got his girlfriend pregnant and quit baseball to get a "real job". He was in AAA and hitting well and almost certainly would have gotten a callup by the end of the following season. He became really successful and now lives in retirement in Hawaii, but he says it still kills him he didn't make it all the way.

Leave a comment:

• metrotheme
    replied
    I'm working on a book that is partially about Dandridge. I've interviewed close to 100 of his former teammates and opponents from the Negro Leagues, Winter Ball and AAA about him. It should be interesting. I'm about halfway done with transcribing all of the interviews.

Leave a comment:

• metrotheme
    started a topic Hampton Coleman - "The Dodger That Didn't Make It"

Hampton Coleman - "The Dodger That Didn't Make It"

http://www.baseballhappenings.net/20...t-make-it.html

I was talking with some Dodgers fans, when one presented me with a photo of Dodgers prospects and noted that all but one in the photo made the Major Leagues. They asked me if I knew who the lone non-major leaguer was in the photo, and I told them that I had interviewed him last year. So I decided to tell the story of how Solomon "Hampton" Coleman was a can't miss prospect for the Brooklyn Dodgers and how a twist of fate cut off a path to the Major Leagues. Let me know what you think.

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X