The Brooklyn Connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Brooklyn Connection

Is it just me or is there a tangible connection between the old Brooklyn Dodgers and the Mets?

Had the O'Malley accepted Moses' offer, they be in Queens rather than Los Angeles. Granted the two were bullheaded leaders, but I believe there'd be no need for the expansion team that came to New York in '62.

On top of that, the Mets seem to endure the same type of heartbreak that the fans of the old Brooklyn team did more than any other team, coupled with the fans' devoted loyalties.

I may be mistaken, but those are my educated feelings. Thoughts?
    Put it in the books.

Originally posted by milladrive View Post
    Is it just me or is there a tangible connection between the old Brooklyn Dodgers and the Mets?

Had the O'Malley accepted Moses' offer, they be in Queens rather than Los Angeles. Granted the two were bullheaded leaders, but I believe there'd be no need for the expansion team that came to New York in '62.

On top of that, the Mets seem to endure the same type of heartbreak that the fans of the old Brooklyn team did more than any other team, coupled with the fans' devoted loyalties.

The connection is very close, but not quite the same. Brooklyn's fans have a greater connection to Mets fans then the Dodgers team to the Mets team. While the heartbreak is similar in regards to winning WS titles, and having epic collapses, the relationship to the other teams in the market isn't. If anything the Yankees and Giants were rivals in a closer market, than the Dodgers. The Dodgers started out as Brooklyn's team, when Brooklyn was an independent city. They didn't so much compete with the Yankees and Giants for the hearts and minds, as the Giants did with the Yankees. The Giants were the first dynastic team in NY, and the Yankees slowly encroached on this, and finally took over the reigns as the dominant NY team. The Dodgers were the indisputed team of Brooklyn, Queens and Long Island. They owned their market, while the Mets are fighting the Yankees for control of their own market areas. The Dodgers in the 20th century were not always underdogs, and had some great teams. Sure they fell short alot in the WS, but they made it to the dance often enough to be relevant. They only had one long prolonged period of futility during the "daffiness days" and had probably the greatest NL team of all time in the 50's. Unfortunately the Yankees were better when it counted the most. The Dodgers franchise was top-notch and run efficiently. The Mets haven't been so more often than not.

It is the Fans that make the connection seem tangable. Most Dodgers fans crossed over to the Mets, as did Giants fans. At the time the teams left the Dodgers were the more popular team due to the fact that they dominated the NL (except for 51 & 54) for almost the entire decade of the 50's till they left. Because most Mets fans were Dodgers fans the connections to both were an inevitable side effect.

Having said all that, yes you are right in regards to loyalty, and heartbreak. I just don't think that the actual organizations can compare, the fans however do in my honest opinion.
    unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
    unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
    unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Comment

Originally posted by milladrive View Post

:disbelief:

You haven't been following the whole controversy about the Wilpons through the years have you?

Even if there are "connections" don't tell that to Met fans, or even old Giant fans whom feel that their team gets shafted more and more as the years go by.

I understand you trying to make for a good thread topic, but with Met fans, and even non-Met fans up in arms about how Citi Field looks, and the fact that there are more Brooklyn Dodger related images around the park than Met images, it isn't exactly en vogue to start comparing the fanbases.

Hmmm, how about both fanbases in Chicago?

Perhaps the Angels and Astros (two historically snakebit teams in terms of tragic events occurring) also have a strong case to make about enduring heartbreak as well.
      NY Sports Day Independent Gotham Sports Coverage
      Mets360 Mets Past, Present and Future
      Talking Mets Baseball. A baseball blog with a Mets bias

Comment

When the Dodgers and Giants left, we had three choices, continue to root for our teams even though they were now on the west coast, root for the Yankees, or forget baseball all together. Many of the younger fans myself included continued to root for the Dodgers and Giants. A few became Yankee or American league fans and many of the older fans forgot about baseball all together. Remember the National League abandoned, New York City, and left for good, as far as they were concerned. The Mets came into being in part to keep a new league from being formed. Many of us younger fans became Mets fans by default. There were more former Dodger fans then Giants fans at the time and it seemed natural for people to say that the Mets and Dodgers were connected. That really wasn't true. The Mets gave all the disenfranchised fans, a chance to have a home team again, nothing more, nothing less. The elder Wilpon was a big Brooklyn Dodger fan and has allowed that to influence his design of Citifield. It has nothing to do with catering to old Brooklyn Dodger fans. In fact many former Brooklyn fans resent the fact that the Wilpons are 'cashing in" on Brooklyn Dodger nostalgia. The tangible connection between the Brooklyn Dodgers and New York Mets is mostly media driven and being pushed by those seeking to cah in on the connection. Thanks for allowing me to put in my two cents worth.
        Lets get Eddie Basinski elected to the Polish Sports Hall of Fame.
        www.brooklyndodgermemories.com

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X