Follow the Dodgers Theme Song

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Follow the Dodgers Theme Song

Growing up when I did, it of course gave me a small opportunity to follow the Dodgers (the real ones) but I was 11 years old when the slime ball stole the franchise from Brooklyn. Unfortunately that was before the digital era and even the casette era of music.

Several years later, when I was 15, I became a big NY Ranger fan and began attending every game with my 50ยข GO card...the connection...well the organist at Madison Square Garden until her unteimely death in 1963 was the one and only Gladys Gooding and part of her repertoire before the teams hit the ice for practice a half hour before the game was to play the song, "Follow the Dodgers." Of course the left coast imposters have long since abandoned the song (as has much of baseball which no longer use organists and have this rap garbage similar to the Mets now)..

But anyway, I would give something to get a hold of a digital copy of the organist playing the song. Does it exist anywhere? I would love to get an MP3 to use as a ringtone...

Anybody know where I might be able to find this? My appreciation to anybody who could.
    Last edited by MATHA531; 04-25-2006, 10:06 AM.

I have looked everywhere I can think of, including itunes, and cannot find it. I would love to hear it.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Shotgun Shuba
      I have looked everywhere I can think of, including itunes, and cannot find it. I would love to hear it.
      In the HBO special, When It Was A Game, part I, that song was identified as having been used but I can't pick it out.

I'd like to hear it myself. I wonder if the Dodger organization would be willing to provide.

Comment

Personally, I do not consider the current left coast imposters as the Dodgers organization therefore I can't write to them....after all they dumped the song soon after their betrayal of the fans of Brooklyn.

Perhaps you might contact them and get some sort of a link to where it might be found?

Comment

Here is a lead! Complete with Catalog number!!!

Hello,

Like CaliforniaCajun I thought of When It Was A Game 1 and was without success in hearing the song. Perhaps it is just a snippet under the narration because it certainly isn't featured prominantly like some of the program's other musical selections.

On an upbeat note, I found this while Googling: a writer who researched numerous baseball team themes that were either original, adopted, or adapted over the years. The relevant quote is this:

Organist: Gladys Goodding, "Follow The Dodgers" (Sports 7115, 78 rpm, 1951)

The entire piece is lengthy, but very entertaining with some very obscure and interesting references of baseball stars.

Here is the link for the complete article: Goldmine Collectormania! Archive by Chuck Miller.

http://members.aol.com/clctrmania/cm-baseball.html

Enjoy!

Dennis
          BrooklynDodger14

Comment

Well, everyone, have I got a treat for you....

Go to www.baseballrecordings.com and on the left side of the page click on "Songs of Teams"... then scroll down to the photo showing the record of FOLLOW THE DODGERS...and click on. Make sure your speakers are turned way up.....

For those of you who never heard OUR SONG, you will really enjoy this.

For those of you, like me, heard Gladys playing OUR SONG each time WE entered OUR Ebbets Field, be prepared for a few tears.....ok, maybe a lot of tears.

In any case, I hope you all enjoy my find!

c.

Comment

Thank you so much...now if only there was a way to digitize it...it will make a great ring tone.

Comment

Originally posted by MATHA531
                Thank you so much...now if only there was a way to digitize it...it will make a great ring tone.
                I'm working on it, MATHA531. BROOKLYN fans never give up!

If there is a way, I will find it!

c.

Comment

Dodger Deb, You Are Truly A Magician!!!

My present day real-world secret identity is as an editor in an Audio/Visual facility. I am working on an MP3 conversion of the recording right now. And will post it to whomever is interested. Please e-mail me at my AOL...

It IS a great tune! Now I will hum it as I go to lunch!

Dennis
                  BrooklynDodger14

Comment

Dodgers Theme Song

The "Follow the Dodgers" mp3 is READY!!!

Dennis
                    BrooklynDodger14

Comment

Well I did manage to download it onto my computer as an MP3 file...I wish I was more computer wise...I suppose it can be digitally re-mastered to get rid of the screeching...I'm certainly no expert on that.

I also wish, maybe some expert here knows. how it can be made into a ringtone...boy Dodger Deb we could make a fortune for the board by somehow getting somebody to convert the file I suppose to a MIDI file and get one of the ringtone companies to add the non vocal part as a ringtone...I just wish I was more computer wise.

But I now have burned it onto a CD (hope that's not illegal and the download police are not watching but what the hell, Gladys is dead) and have played it several times...I'm on such a high and you're right it brings tears to my eyes...I've hummed the song so many times for friends but have never heard the complete set of words...(we should post the words somewhere eh!)

BTW did you know or do you remember as I do that Gladys Gooding could also sing and as a matter of fact when she played the National Anthem before Dodger games at Ebbets Field she sang it too! (as I noted when I became a little older and started going to NYR games, she was the Garden organist but she did not sing the anthem then, rather a guy named Everett Morrison did....oh the trivia that comes back).

Once again Deb, thank you so much.

Comment

Try the version I sent you yesterday... I filtered the pops & clicks.

Comment

Well I did manage to download it onto my computer as an MP3 file...I wish I was more computer wise...I suppose it can be digitally re-mastered to get rid of the screeching...I'm certainly no expert on that.

I also wish, maybe some expert here knows. how it can be made into a ringtone...boy Dodger Deb we could make a fortune for the board by somehow getting somebody to convert the file I suppose to a MIDI file and get one of the ringtone companies to add the non vocal part as a ringtone...Once again Deb, thank you so much.
                          Hello MATHA531,

Try the mp3 I sent you offsite yesterday. That has the pops and clicks filtered out. Anyone of the Dodger faithful who would like the file, please contact me as well! It is such a joy to have an actual element of Brooklyn Dodger history to enjoy.

I just found an Audio to MIDI converter on the Net and will make a MIDI of the organ solo for you later today!

Dennis
                          BrooklynDodger14

Comment

And here are the words which I managed to transcribe thanks to the copy I got:

So follow the Dodgers follow the Dodgers around
                            The infield the outfield the catcher and the fellow on the mound
                            Oh the fans will come a running when the Dodgers go a gunning
                            For the pennant that they’re fighting for today

So the Dodgers keep swinging and the fans will keep singing
                            Follow the Dodgers hurray

And the baseball club in Brooklyn the team they call dem bums
                            So keep your eyes right on them and watch for hits and runs

So follow the Dodgers follow the Dodgers around
                            The infield the outfield the catcher and the fellow on the mound

Last edited by MATHA531; 04-30-2006, 04:38 AM.

Comment

BTW did you know or do you remember as I do that Gladys Gooding could also sing and as a matter of fact when she played the National Anthem before Dodger games at Ebbets Field she sang it too! (as I noted when I became a little older and started going to NYR games, she was the Garden organist but she did not sing the anthem then, rather a guy named Everett Morrison did....oh the trivia that comes back).

Once again Deb, thank you so much.
                              I was listening to the 1949 World Series this week, and I thought Gladys Gooding's organ playing probably sounded good at the ballpark. I thought her singing was awful, though. It sounded like she was imitating Margaret Dumont singing 'Hail Freedonia' from Duck Soup.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X