• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DODGER DEB
    BROOKLYN FOUNDER
    • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Spirit of '55 View Post
    Friends:

What I DO NOT UNDERSTAND AT ALL is how O'Malley could move the team knowing the amount of passion, support, and love OUR DODGERS have.

I luistened to the old recordings---first time I've heard, "Follow The Dodgers" and I laughed, smiled, and got choked up at the sheer SWEETNESS and GOODNESS of it all.

I watched Game 5 of the 1955 WS on DVD tonight, and heard Gladys Goodding's "Star-Spangled Banner" for the first time, and yet realized I'd heard it before, a hundred times---any decent performance uses Gladys as a template!

Was O'Malley crazy?

The Brooklyn Dodgers of Los Angeles?

The Los Angeles Brooklyn Dodgers?

The Team Formerly Known As The Brooklyn Dodgers Now Formerly Known As The Los Angeles Dodgers Because They Moved Back To Brooklyn (TTFKATBDNFKATLADBTMBTB)?

How do you even pronounce that? Tifcatbidenfecataladbitembt'b? I think that means, "The Fat Man With A Cigarette Holder Is In Hell Today" in Lower Middle Eastern Slobovian.

How about this: Move the team back home and let's just call them "The Brooklyn Dodgers."

I'm all for that.
    HALLELUJAH! Another kindred spirit! :bowdown::bowdown:

What you've said, So55, is what so many of US have said thousands and thousands of times since 1957, and what WE should never stop saying.....EVER!

What happened to US and OUR DODGERS should NEVER, NEVER have happened, for all the reasons you mention...and then some!

H-O-M-E for OUR DODGERS will always be B-R-0-0-K-L-Y-N! To even suggest (or accept) anywhere else shows a total lack of understanding about US, OUR History, and OUR TEAM!

So55, you just lifted my day! :gt

c.

Comment

• SLOTSAU64
      • May 2008

Follow The Dodgers

HELLO DODGERS FAITHFUL,
      AFTER LOOKING OVER THE INTEREST IN THIS SONG, I SIGNED UP JUST TO LET YOU ALL KNOW THAT I WILL BE LISTING A 78 RPM COPY OF GLADYS GOODDING'S FOLLOW THE DODGERS. IT IS ALSO SIGNED BY GLADYS TOO. I FOUND THIS AT AN ESTATE SALE TODAY AND WAS RESEARCHING MY DISCOVERY WHEN I STUMBLED ON YOU. I WILL BE LISTING IT ON EBAY SUNDAY AFTERNOON. MY STORE NAME AND DOMAIN LINK IS riverbluffrarities.com

I LOOK FORWARD TO YOUR INTEREST!
      SCOTT
      riverbluffrarities.com
      :cap:

Comment

• Joe Barrie
        • Jun 2010

Originally posted by musial6 View Post
        Just before the start of the top of the seventh inning, when the Cardinals were the visitors, Gladys always played "Meet Me in St. Louis."
        Incidentally, the custom of visiting team fans taking THEIR stretch at the TOP of the seventh has long since disappeared.
        She actually played "The Missouri Waltz", made even more famous by President Truman himself.
        "East Side, West Side" preceded the use of the Giants' victory song, and "Yankee Doodle Dandy" appeared during several World Series games.
        "Cincinnati Dancing Pig (he's the barnyard Mr. Big)" and "There's a Pawnshop on a corner in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania" were used. I'm stumped about the Braves.

Comment

• LAS1914
          • Sep 2013

When Jane Jarvis was the organist for the Milwaukee Braves she wrote a theme song for the Braves. She and Gladys Goodding exchanged sheet music and from 1955 through 1957 Gladys played that song for the Braves. When Jane Jarvis was the Mets organist she played the Braves song before the top of the 7th inning when the Braves played at Shea

Comment

• LAS1914
            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by jaykay View Post
            Okay, you Gladys Goodding trivia experts. Here's one that was posted on this forum many moons ago, and - despite the presence of numerous savvy oldtimers - was never answered completely. Maybe some of you new guys can help.
            It goes like this:
            When the visiting team took the field for batting practice, Gladys would play an appropriate song.
            Giants - "We're Calling All Fans, All You Giant Ball Fans"
            Phillies - "Pennsylvania Polka"
            Pirates - "Pennsylvania Polka"
            Cardinals - "St. Louis Blues"
            Cubs - "Chicago"
            Reds - "Down By the O-hi-o"
            Boston Braves - nobody knew
            Milwaukee Braves - maybe the same, but nobody knew
            Help!
            Remember, this is not to find out if you can think of any Boston/Milwaukee/Massachusetts/Wisconsin songs NOW, but to determine if you really remember - or learned from someone who is old enough to remember. It has been suggested that instead of an actual song, she played tom-tom music (you know what I mean) for the Braves; also that Gladys was too highly-trained a musician to play the same song for both the Phillies and Pirates; also that her Cardinals song was "Missouri Waltz."

Well, there you have it.
            What have you heard?
            Jane Jarvis played for the Milwaukee Braves from 1955 until 1963. She composed a song for the Milwaukee Braves and sent the sheet music to Gladys Goodding. Gladys sent her a copy of the Follow the Dodgers sheet music to Jane. While Jane was the organist for the Mets she played the Braves song at the top of the 7th inning when the Braves visited Shea

Comment

• LAS1914
              • Sep 2013

Song played for Milwaukee Braves at Ebbets Field

Jane Jarvis was the Milwaukee Braves organist from 1955 til 1962 and the Mets organist from 1964 til 1979. While in Milwaukee she composed a theme song for the Braves. Gladys Goodding contacted her and they exchanged sheet music and each played the respective songs at County Stadium and Ebbets Field. Jane played the Braves song in the top of the 7th inning when the Braves played at Shea Stadium

Comment

• LAS1914
                • Sep 2013

When Jane Jarvis was the organist for the Milwaukee Braves she wrote a team song for the Braves. She and Gladys exchanged sheet music and Gladys played the song during batting practice and in the top of the 7th inning from 1955 through 1957. She played a Pawn Shop in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania for the Pirates

Comment

• LAS1914
                  • Sep 2013

In 1954 Jane Jarvis became the organist for the Milwaukee Braves and composed a team song for the Braves. She and Gladys exchanged sheet music and Jane told me she played Follow the Dodgers and Gladys played the Braves song. Jane played the Braves song in the top of the seventh when the Braves played at Shea Stadium

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X