Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LAS1914
    replied
    In 1954 Jane Jarvis became the organist for the Milwaukee Braves and composed a team song for the Braves. She and Gladys exchanged sheet music and Jane told me she played Follow the Dodgers and Gladys played the Braves song. Jane played the Braves song in the top of the seventh when the Braves played at Shea Stadium

Leave a comment:

• LAS1914
    replied
    When Jane Jarvis was the organist for the Milwaukee Braves she wrote a team song for the Braves. She and Gladys exchanged sheet music and Gladys played the song during batting practice and in the top of the 7th inning from 1955 through 1957. She played a Pawn Shop in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania for the Pirates

Leave a comment:

• LAS1914
    replied
    Song played for Milwaukee Braves at Ebbets Field

Jane Jarvis was the Milwaukee Braves organist from 1955 til 1962 and the Mets organist from 1964 til 1979. While in Milwaukee she composed a theme song for the Braves. Gladys Goodding contacted her and they exchanged sheet music and each played the respective songs at County Stadium and Ebbets Field. Jane played the Braves song in the top of the 7th inning when the Braves played at Shea Stadium

Leave a comment:

• LAS1914
    replied
    Originally posted by jaykay View Post
    Okay, you Gladys Goodding trivia experts. Here's one that was posted on this forum many moons ago, and - despite the presence of numerous savvy oldtimers - was never answered completely. Maybe some of you new guys can help.
    It goes like this:
    When the visiting team took the field for batting practice, Gladys would play an appropriate song.
    Giants - "We're Calling All Fans, All You Giant Ball Fans"
    Phillies - "Pennsylvania Polka"
    Pirates - "Pennsylvania Polka"
    Cardinals - "St. Louis Blues"
    Cubs - "Chicago"
    Reds - "Down By the O-hi-o"
    Boston Braves - nobody knew
    Milwaukee Braves - maybe the same, but nobody knew
    Help!
    Remember, this is not to find out if you can think of any Boston/Milwaukee/Massachusetts/Wisconsin songs NOW, but to determine if you really remember - or learned from someone who is old enough to remember. It has been suggested that instead of an actual song, she played tom-tom music (you know what I mean) for the Braves; also that Gladys was too highly-trained a musician to play the same song for both the Phillies and Pirates; also that her Cardinals song was "Missouri Waltz."

Well, there you have it.
    What have you heard?
    Jane Jarvis played for the Milwaukee Braves from 1955 until 1963. She composed a song for the Milwaukee Braves and sent the sheet music to Gladys Goodding. Gladys sent her a copy of the Follow the Dodgers sheet music to Jane. While Jane was the organist for the Mets she played the Braves song at the top of the 7th inning when the Braves visited Shea

Leave a comment:

• LAS1914
    replied
    When Jane Jarvis was the organist for the Milwaukee Braves she wrote a theme song for the Braves. She and Gladys Goodding exchanged sheet music and from 1955 through 1957 Gladys played that song for the Braves. When Jane Jarvis was the Mets organist she played the Braves song before the top of the 7th inning when the Braves played at Shea

Leave a comment:

• Joe Barrie
    replied
    Originally posted by musial6 View Post
    Just before the start of the top of the seventh inning, when the Cardinals were the visitors, Gladys always played "Meet Me in St. Louis."
    Incidentally, the custom of visiting team fans taking THEIR stretch at the TOP of the seventh has long since disappeared.
    She actually played "The Missouri Waltz", made even more famous by President Truman himself.
    "East Side, West Side" preceded the use of the Giants' victory song, and "Yankee Doodle Dandy" appeared during several World Series games.
    "Cincinnati Dancing Pig (he's the barnyard Mr. Big)" and "There's a Pawnshop on a corner in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania" were used. I'm stumped about the Braves.

Leave a comment:

• SLOTSAU64
    replied
    Follow The Dodgers

HELLO DODGERS FAITHFUL,
    AFTER LOOKING OVER THE INTEREST IN THIS SONG, I SIGNED UP JUST TO LET YOU ALL KNOW THAT I WILL BE LISTING A 78 RPM COPY OF GLADYS GOODDING'S FOLLOW THE DODGERS. IT IS ALSO SIGNED BY GLADYS TOO. I FOUND THIS AT AN ESTATE SALE TODAY AND WAS RESEARCHING MY DISCOVERY WHEN I STUMBLED ON YOU. I WILL BE LISTING IT ON EBAY SUNDAY AFTERNOON. MY STORE NAME AND DOMAIN LINK IS riverbluffrarities.com

I LOOK FORWARD TO YOUR INTEREST!
    SCOTT
    riverbluffrarities.com
    :cap:

Leave a comment:

• DODGER DEB
    replied
    Originally posted by Spirit of '55 View Post
    Friends:

What I DO NOT UNDERSTAND AT ALL is how O'Malley could move the team knowing the amount of passion, support, and love OUR DODGERS have.

I luistened to the old recordings---first time I've heard, "Follow The Dodgers" and I laughed, smiled, and got choked up at the sheer SWEETNESS and GOODNESS of it all.

I watched Game 5 of the 1955 WS on DVD tonight, and heard Gladys Goodding's "Star-Spangled Banner" for the first time, and yet realized I'd heard it before, a hundred times---any decent performance uses Gladys as a template!

Was O'Malley crazy?

The Brooklyn Dodgers of Los Angeles?

The Los Angeles Brooklyn Dodgers?

The Team Formerly Known As The Brooklyn Dodgers Now Formerly Known As The Los Angeles Dodgers Because They Moved Back To Brooklyn (TTFKATBDNFKATLADBTMBTB)?

How do you even pronounce that? Tifcatbidenfecataladbitembt'b? I think that means, "The Fat Man With A Cigarette Holder Is In Hell Today" in Lower Middle Eastern Slobovian.

How about this: Move the team back home and let's just call them "The Brooklyn Dodgers."

I'm all for that.
    HALLELUJAH! Another kindred spirit! :bowdown::bowdown:

What you've said, So55, is what so many of US have said thousands and thousands of times since 1957, and what WE should never stop saying.....EVER!

What happened to US and OUR DODGERS should NEVER, NEVER have happened, for all the reasons you mention...and then some!

H-O-M-E for OUR DODGERS will always be B-R-0-0-K-L-Y-N! To even suggest (or accept) anywhere else shows a total lack of understanding about US, OUR History, and OUR TEAM!

So55, you just lifted my day! :gt

c.

Leave a comment:

• Spirit of '55
    replied
    Friends:

What I DO NOT UNDERSTAND AT ALL is how O'Malley could move the team knowing the amount of passion, support, and love OUR DODGERS have.

I luistened to the old recordings---first time I've heard, "Follow The Dodgers" and I laughed, smiled, and got choked up at the sheer SWEETNESS and GOODNESS of it all.

I watched Game 5 of the 1955 WS on DVD tonight, and heard Gladys Goodding's "Star-Spangled Banner" for the first time, and yet realized I'd heard it before, a hundred times---any decent performance uses Gladys as a template!

Was O'Malley crazy?

The Brooklyn Dodgers of Los Angeles?

The Los Angeles Brooklyn Dodgers?

The Team Formerly Known As The Brooklyn Dodgers Now Formerly Known As The Los Angeles Dodgers Because They Moved Back To Brooklyn (TTFKATBDNFKATLADBTMBTB)?

How do you even pronounce that? Tifcatbidenfecataladbitembt'b? I think that means, "The Fat Man With A Cigarette Holder Is In Hell Today" in Lower Middle Eastern Slobovian.

How about this: Move the team back home and let's just call them "The Brooklyn Dodgers."

I'm all for that.

Leave a comment:

• JOVE23
    replied
    Originally posted by I talk to myself View Post
    Greetings Fans O' the Bums

Just wanted to give you guys a heads up. Baseballrecordings.com has picked up a new Dodger recording. It's an old 78rpm from the Armed Forces Radio Services, but that is really all that is known about it, at least by me.

It's a DRAGNET spoof that talks about the Dodgers. It contains a LOT of 50's Dodger references. You guys are the experts. Can you help me out?

Some questions I need answered if possible.
    Aside from Erskine (and maybe Preacher Roe) who are the other players referenced?

Does this "murder" refer to a specific event?

Anyone know the origin of this recording and has anyone heard it before?

Can you help with the more obscure references in this piece?

Here is the link to the new recording.
    http://www.baseballrecordings.com/Dragnet Dodgers.mp3
    It should be up on baseballrecordings.com soon, but for now it's all yours.

Dave
    :radio
    I Talk To Myself
    Hello,

This is my first post here, so I'll try to be concise.

I would assume the Preacher is Preacher Roe, and the 9 guys in white knickers and funny hats were the Yankees. I would guess the "murder" was Roe getting "murdered" by the Yanks.

I think the Michael Mandle character is Mickey Mantle, but past that I cannot tell you much.

Leave a comment:

• spacegeist
    replied
    Originally posted by dodger dynamo View Post
    leave la to the angels, the dodgers belong to Brooklyn. It would be great for the city and even better for base ball. no matter where they are they are always and only Brooklyn dodgers.
    Hello, I am a huge dodger fan! I have tremendous respect for the dodgers Brooklyn roots. I’ve even spoke to friends about the scenario if the Dodgers returned to Brooklyn. The result would just be my friends and I rooting for a Brooklyn team. I would have no problem with that at all and would let them go with out a fight. I feel many other dodger fans would do the same.

Also, The Angel are not an L.A. team. There stadium is in Anaheim. They my as well say that Disneyland is located in L.A. if they are to say the Angels are. I angers me to no end that they tacked on L.A. to that team.

Leave a comment:

• dodger dynamo
    replied
    gladys gooding and the dodgers

some one should make this record available for sale, many of us would buy it. also now that the omalley's are gone, I harbor no ill feelings toward the dodgers. after all Gil, Duke and pee wee didn't want to leave Brooklyn. the team in la just needs to come home. I would welcome them with open arms, as hope all of you would. leave la to the angels, the dodgers belong to Brooklyn. It would be great for the city and even better for base ball. no matter where they are they are always and only Brooklyn dodgers. there are no la dodgers, It's a myth, propaganda, an illusion, regardless of location and logos we just need to refer to them as the Brooklyn dodgers until somebody wises up and corrects a mistake. yea the Brooklyn dodgers were pioneers, they colonised the west. now the west doesn't want or need them any more. tear the la off the hat and jersey's, no need for that here. just Brooklyn and dodgers. think of it as if the dodgers are off on a quest, they've been spreading a different kind of religion. (baseball) It's now time to come home, the Brooklyn dodgers need to come home, it's time.:gt I'll be happy when the rallying cry is "wait till this year"
    Last edited by dodger dynamo; 09-17-2007, 02:43 PM. Reason: left out word

Leave a comment:

• brkl97
    replied
    new to this board...

Hi there, Im brand new here, just joined today because I have been searching for months for an an Mp3 of Follow the Dodgers for my grandfather. We still live in Brooklyn and he has refused to watch baseball since 1958, although he does come with me to Cyclones games when I can get him there... if anyone who posted above still has an Mp3 of the song they can send me so I can put it on a cd for him, I would appreciate it more that you can imagine!

John

Brkl97@gmail.com

Leave a comment:

• I talk to myself
    replied
    Originally posted by trickyjo View Post
    Would you kindly send a copy of the mp3 of "Follow the Dodgers?" Although I was born in LA after the exodus, my husband was born in Brooklyn before it, and we're both passing the Dodger fanaticism to our almost-five year old (he is a fourth generation LA dodger fan...). I want to hear the music to see if I've ever heard it played by either Helen Dell or our current organist, Nancy B.
    You can go to baseballrecordings.com and then go to the "songs about teams" page, or if you are pressed for time (and you can spend a good bit of it at the website) you can just click HERE.

Leave a comment:

• MATHA531
    replied
    Originally posted by tonypug View Post
    At first O'Malley wanted to call his team the Los Angeles Brooklyn Dodgers, but was talked out of it.
    Oh you mean like the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim...yes I can see it now

The Brooklyn Dodgers of Los Angeles or maybe

the Brooklyn Dodgers of La La Land

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X