Dodgers 2 - Yankees 0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dodgers 2 - Yankees 0

Mr. Miley is releasing game 7, 1955 WS on 10/19/10. Pre-orders placed by e-mail by 10/12/10 receive a $2.00 discount. E-MAil to - [email protected]

http://www.cooperstownmusic.com/

Originally posted by Bobcat View Post
    Mr. Miley is releasing game 7, 1955 WS on 10/19/10. Pre-orders placed by e-mail by 10/12/10 receive a $2.00 discount. E-MAil to - [email protected]

http://www.cooperstownmusic.com/
    I'm assuming this is the Al Helfer broadcast on Mutual?

Comment

Can't hurt to ask them.

Comment

The Helfer Mutual broadcast would be the only radio version of the game ever done. Mutual had exclusive broadcast rights in those days.

Comment

Meaning for millions of people in the United States and around the world, the man relaying to them that the Brooklyn Dodgers were the champions of the world was a bored sounding Al Helfer.

Hooray.

Comment

Originally posted by Bitter Fan View Post
            Meaning for millions of people in the United States and around the world, the man relaying to them that the Brooklyn Dodgers were the champions of the world was a bored sounding Al Helfer.

Hooray.
            There may have been millions of baseball fans in 1955 who weren't thrilled to have another New York team win the World Series.

Comment

From listing to other games with Al Helfer it does not seem to fit. Someone once told me that the announcer that day was ill and made a number of errors including missing the change over in left field at the start of the bottom of inning six. He still thought Gilliam was out there in left. How true all of this is I do not know. Guess I'll find out when I listen to the game.

Comment

The other broadcaster with Helfer on radio was Bob Neal so I think in fairness we need to wait and see if maybe that final half of the game was called by Neal.

Comment

Originally posted by EdTarbusz View Post
                  There may have been millions of baseball fans in 1955 who weren't thrilled to have another New York team win the World Series.
                  I'd be interested to hear support for your conjecture, Ed. That's a rather sweeping generalization.

Comment

Originally posted by VIBaseball View Post
                    I'd be interested to hear support for your conjecture, Ed. That's a rather sweeping generalization.
                    How many people outside of New York do you think were excited by another all New York World Series in 1955? It was the fourth one of the decade and the tenth in 15 years with at least one New York teams. It was also the the fifth New York/Brooklyn World Series since the end of WWII.

How many fans outside of Brooklyn do you think were saying 'I'm glad that Brooklyn finally won one!". I'm guessing it wasn't very many because the nostalgia wave hadn't reached baseball in the 1950s.

Comment

Originally posted by EdTarbusz View Post
                      How many people outside of New York do you think were excited by another all New York World Series in 1955? It was the fourth one of the decade and the tenth in 15 years with at least one New York teams. It was also the the fifth New York/Brooklyn World Series since the end of WWII.

How many fans outside of Brooklyn do you think were saying 'I'm glad that Brooklyn finally won one!". I'm guessing it wasn't very many because the nostalgia wave hadn't reached baseball in the 1950s.
                      I think "guessing" is the operative word, Ed. I can sympathize with your vantage point, and there's at least a kernel of logic in what you're saying -- but I'd like to see what was really said elsewhere around the country at the time. Perhaps if I have a moment I'll take a look.

Comment

Originally posted by VIBaseball View Post
                        I think "guessing" is the operative word, Ed. I can sympathize with your vantage point, and there's at least a kernel of logic in what you're saying -- but I'd like to see what was really said elsewhere around the country at the time. Perhaps if I have a moment I'll take a look.
                        There was probably some joy in AL cities that the Yankees finally lost a Series. I think some of the soprtswriters may have been happy to see the Dodgers finally win one, but I can't picture average fans outside of New York (except for black fans) being excited by a Brooklyn victory or another Subway Series.

Comment

OK, Ed -- I admit it. There is plenty of evidence for your position that came out at the time.

L.A. Times, October 8, 1952: "I m getting sick and tired of these Subway Series almost every year," another fellow said. "And I think most fans feel the same way, even in New York."

National sportswriter Harry Grayson, April 16, 1956: "Again it will be the Dodgers and the Yankees. You can't beat 'em so you might as well join 'em, as tiresome as the subway series is getting to be to the rest of the country."

Lodi News-Sentinel, October 3, 1956 -- after Grayson's prediction came true: "Few fans except the most rabid followers of the Yanks and Dodgers were anxious to see the same old faces in this year's Series."

There were pockets of Dodger support in the hometowns of Dodger heroes.

Comment

I'm not big on what-ifs, but I would have liked to have seen the Indians win the 1955 pennant and play Brooklyn as a rematch of 1920.

Also, in 1948 the Dodgers and Indians played a pair of exhibition games against each other. Leo Durocher was quoted as predicting the squads would face each other in the World Series.

Comment

Collective apologies are owed to the late Al Helfer. That final half of the game and final out was called by Bob Neal.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X