No announcement yet.

Dodger Tape measure home runs.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interestingly, the longest (potential) shot I ever saw was also hit by a Dodger at Forbes Field. But, it wasn't in a game- it was in batting practice. The Pirates and Dodgers were playing at Forbes Field- I think it was 1967. Tommy Davis, who had broken his ankle a few years earlier and was never the same player, was up at the plate during batting practice. My friends and I were sitting in the lower deck out a little past first base. Davis, a righthanded batter, hit a towering smash to left- unbelievably, the ball hit near the top of the light tower to the right of the left field scoreboard. It looked to me like the ball was just reaching its peak when it hit the lights. Forbes was 365 down the line- the light tower was to the right of the large scoreboard. I'm guesstimating that the wall at the point was about 390 feet from home. The light towers were at least 100 feet high- maybe a bit higher. As I said, the ball hit near the top of the light rack. I don't know how far the ball would have gone if it hadn't hit anything, but I'm sure it would have been well over 500 feet.

Interestingly, neither of my buddies saw it- it was about an hour before the game, there was almost nobody in the stands, and it didn't seem to attract any attention- except from a few Dodgers on the field- and me. Most amazing shot I ever saw.

Comment

How about Joe Adcock's homer that sailed over the left field roof of Ebbets Field. My friend retrieved the ball. That
      was the only known home run to clear the left field roof and had to be the longest home run at Ebbets Field.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X