X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Duke Snider

The Duke of Flatbush is dead at 84.

A sad day for baseball.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
    - Walt Whitman

I just saw this on ESPN. There aren't many left now.

Comment

This is an truly marked loss for the memory of the Brooklyn Dodgers. I believe penncentralpete had posted a picture of Duke using a wheelchair a year or two ago, so it's not entirely surprising...but it's still a sad day.

Comment

Wow. As someone who is just the son of a Brooklyn Dodgers fan, I am choked up over this one. I can't imagine how my dad is feeling right now. For all Dodgers fans this has to be one of those "Do you remember where you were when you heard..." moments. Truly the end of an era.

Comment

Very sad to hear that he passed on. I've been hearing about him for quite some time, since I actually lived in Flatbush, Brooklyn (near Sears and the former Macy's location) for 20+ years. Rest in peace, and the best of love towards his family, friends and countless fans.
          Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
          Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
          THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
          Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

RIP Duke

I too am the son of Brooklyn Dodger fans. Duke has been eclipsed by Willie and The Mick by the fans of today, probably because those two were younger than Duke and lasted a bit longer. But my parents insist that Duke in his prime was right there with both, and even Joe D when they overlapped.

Duke hit the most HRS in the 1950's: more than Mick, Willie, Teddy Ballgame, Eddie Matthews,...and yet his star did not shine as bright to the new fans of today. But to those that were there......a different story.

Duke was the same age as my dad and two years older than my mom. What Don Zimmer says below rings true for that generation:

Don Zimmer reflected on the passing of former Dodgers teammate Duke Snider:

“Mickey (Mantle), Duke and (Willie) Mays, they were great players in one town. Duke never got the credit for being the outfielder that (Willie) Mays and Mantle were. Firts of all, it was a small ballpark, Ebbetts Field. And Duke was a great outfielder and a great player. What can I say - I played with him for five years. ... He was a great centerfielder and a great hitter. As a friend, I had a lot of good times with him. (Johnny) Podres and I and Duke, we spent many hours at night over a beer or something. Duke liked the horses like I did. … He was a great guy. They’re all passing away. There’s not many left. I’m still standing, I don’t know for how long.’’

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/rays/c...ng-duke-snider

Comment

i just heard about the passing of my true boyhood hero. i have never felt this badly about any ballplayer in any sport. just picturing his regal running style with his head held high, the nickname duke really fit. he was the best player on the best team of the 1950's. i don't care how many times the yankees beat us, we were still the best. rest in peace duke.

Comment

truely a sad day for a Brooklyn Dodgers fan. Duke was a great ballplayer, a devoted husband, and familyman, and an even better person. This world's loss, is Heavens gain. God needed a great CF to play against the Mick's team up there!

RIP Edwin "Duke" Snider.
                unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
                unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
                unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Comment

If any of you saw the Oscar telecast tonight, Academy president Tom Sherak mentioned being a Brooklyn Dodgers fan. Yet, still, he couldn't be spontaneous enough while mentioning that to give his condolences for Duke?

Comment

Originally posted by The Commissioner View Post
                    If any of you saw the Oscar telecast tonight, Academy president Tom Sherak mentioned being a Brooklyn Dodgers fan. Yet, still, he couldn't be spontaneous enough while mentioning that to give his condolences for Duke?
                    Given he likely had a busy day, it's entirely possible he didn't know Snider had died.

Comment

Originally posted by The Commissioner View Post
                      Yeah, I thought for sure that was a lead in to a moment of silence for the Duke. Disappointed when it wasn't.
                      unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
                      unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
                      unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Comment

Originally posted by Bitter Fan View Post
                        Given he likely had a busy day, it's entirely possible he didn't know Snider had died.
                        Yeah, that's true. I guess I could give the guy a bit of slack on that one. Still, like Amazing Met said, it was disappointing.

Comment

The Duke is gone
                          Long live the Duke
                          His legend will live on...

Comment

Baseball Heaven in the Great Beyond has added another slugger to its legendary lineup.

I remember the Duke on the Mets '63 squad. He still had some of the old magic by hitting 14 home runs. Wish I had had the chance to see him at Ebbets Field. It must have been great fun.

Comment

Throughout his life, and especially after 1957, Duke always impressed me as having a strong, enduring connection to Brooklyn.

He mentioned that he did not want to move, despite going to his home state.

He often spoke of Brooklyn and the Ebbets Field connection.

I know he once had a website (maybe still did until his death) in which he expressed fond memories of Brooklyn.

His passing is yet another reminder of how short life is.

May you rest in peace with God, Duke.
                              Still patiently waiting @ at Sullivan & McKeever (once THE corner in MLB) for the Brooks to return from their extended road trip.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X