Clueless Bud Steps in to Order sale of LA National League team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clueless Bud Steps in to Order sale of LA National League team

Clueless Bud has stepped in and ordered the sale of the current Los Angeles National league baseball team masquerading as the Dodgers because he feels he has to act in the best interests of that team's fans and it's reputation as one of the marquis teams in the league.

It's too bad Ford C. Frick in 1957 didn't have the intestinal fortitude to do the same thing. Instead Frick's reaction, taken directly from Marie Antoinette about the Brooklyn fans was, "Let them eat cake." (Or actually so they can root for the Yankees, same disregard for the subjects).

With a commissioner with a spine and a sense of decency, history might have been different.

With the Mets in bad shape and probably about to also have MLB seize control of their financial affairs and a sale ordered. this is the chance for someone very wealthy with an affinity for the old Brooklyn Dodgers to step up and execute a complex deal that brings the Dodgers "home" and sends the Mets to LA. Just a thought.... something fun for this forum to kick around. There will probably never be a moment in history again where both clubs ownership structures are under such severe financial pressure. If such a thing WAS to be done (I dont believe for a moment that it will be, but what the hey, its fun to talk about) there will probably never be a better time than NOW.

(Unless baseball one day loses so many fans to demographic change in the years ahead that no one cares about it any more. I can see that day coming too, but probably still pretty far in the future. There is no question that football is more popular now and the intensity that people once had for baseball has lessened A LOT in the general population as a whole. But thats all for another thread, probably in a different Forum).
    Last edited by Calif_Eagle; 04-20-2011, 07:34 PM. Reason: typos, clarity, add some content

Comment

Matha!!!!! Welcome back, glad to see you are well and still posting.

If I recall correctly didn't Bowie Kuhn say he would have blocked the move if he had been in charge at the time?

Comment

Calif, I was thinking about this. Would Wilpon waive his objection in exchange for $100 million? If the Dodgers were sold for say $400 million, terrirotirai payments to the Mets of $100 million $50 million for the Yankees. Probably $750 million for a new stadium. Thats $1.3 billion. With Cable vision needing to fill a programming hole left by the Yankees, its not inconceivable...

Comment

My thought was to avoid the territorial compensation payments by having the Mets involved in the deal, with them going West to LA. Change the name (maybe) and presto... LA still has MLB and so too now does Brooklyn... As for a Stadium... well... in the scenario I was picturing they'd probably play at Citi Field. But... if someone wealthy was absolutely hell bent on bringing them back to Brooklyn proper... well I suppose that could be done too. I am certain that the Tri-State area could easily support 3 MLB teams, maybe even 4 if they were all strategically located. London, England has * 9 * professional soccer teams.

As for LA... well... they got the NFL Rams from Cleveland, the Raiders from Oakland, the NL Dodgers from Brooklyn, the NBA Lakers from Minneapolis, the Clippers from San Diego (who got them from Buffalo!) Only the Angels and the two hockey teams were home grown. And theres a good chance 2 of the following teams are coming to LA. Vikings , Jaguars, Bills, &/or the Saints, to make up the 2 new teams the NFL wants for LA. So I'm sure they could handle a Dodgers - Mets trade with no trouble.

Comment

Let's be real. It's not going to happen. It might be fun to speculate but the train has long since left the station. My only purpose is bringing this up is to remind those who don't know of how not only did the O'Malley screw Brooklyn and had contempt for the fans who made the Brooklyn franchise the biggest money maker in baseball, so did all of major league baseball who had no respect for the Brooklyn fans, for what they put into the team. Ford C. Frick, the Commissioner of baseball, the closet Yankee fan, had it within his power to stop the theft of the franchise and he did nothing. So did Warren Gies, the President of the NL. Along with O'Malley, these are the three who were responnsible for what happened in 1957. But then, if you read the Times blog on this (if it is within your 20 article limit), you see the same old Robert Moses garbage coming up again.

Comment

The Mets wouldn't have to be moved. The Giants, Dodgeys, and Yankees all shared New York more or less profitably back when NYNY was much smaller, and LA has the Angels. Just buy up the territorial rights from the Mets by assuming their debt and there ya go. Generally speaking the less moving parts in a plan like this the more likely it is to actually happen.

Even better, go ahead and forget the LA team and just underwrite the expenses and debts of both franchises in exchange for an expansion option and media territory. Long live the Brooklyn Robins. This one has the virtue of being a little bit less of a pipe dream, depending on how desperate MLB is to shore up the financial health of 2 of its flagship NL franchises.
              Last edited by Imgran; 04-21-2011, 07:09 AM.

Comment

I dont expect anything like this to happen either and I said so in my first post on the thread.... My main point was that if a Dodger return to Brooklyn ever had slightly more chance than a snowball in Hell, its right NOW. If the right billionaires or investment groups or corporations got involved NOW... its a LOT more possible than it will be when the Dodgers and Mets are restored to ownership health.

So have some fun with it... dream up some crazy scenarios... who knows who might be reading and thinking... "Hey... It could be done!" lol

Comment

Calif_Eagle:
                  Having some fun with it, and/or dreaming up some crazy scenarios (re: the Dodgers' return to Brooklyn/NYC) hasn't resonated here at BB-F's Brooklyn Dodgers thread throughout my tenure. DodgerDynamo and I attempted the same a few times in the past to no avail. Posters here (by and large) just refuse to dream (however silly) when it comes to this particular fantasy. Personally, I would love to join you, listing all the possibilities, plots, etc., but fear we would be instantly crushed by the members wielding the "facts", snuffing out our reverie post haste.
                  you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS
                  http://brooklyndodgermemories.freeforums.org/

Comment

Originally posted by penncentralpete View Post
                    Calif_Eagle:
                    Having some fun with it, and/or dreaming up some crazy scenarios (re: the Dodgers' return to Brooklyn/NYC) hasn't resonated here at BB-F's Brooklyn Dodgers thread throughout my tenure. DodgerDynamo and I attempted the same a few times in the past to no avail. Posters here (by and large) just refuse to dream (however silly) when it comes to this particular fantasy. Personally, I would love to join you, listing all the possibilities, plots, etc., but fear we would be instantly crushed by the members wielding the "facts", snuffing out our reverie post haste.
                    There was a book written many years ago about the return of the Dodgers to their rightful place. Look...to me, it's become a losing battle as more and more people our age (I'm 64) and older are most unfortunately you may not like the language are dropping like flies and of course people who are any degree younger than some of us have no real knowledge of what the Dodgers meant to Brooklyn and many of us. Add to that the campaign of the O'Malley family to tell the half truths of how Walter was so misunderstood and that it was Robert Moses who was the real culprit which culminated in the scoundrel's election to the HOF. Go look at the 92 comments as of today on the Times regarding the situation. Some called for the return of the franchise, others simply tried to make the point that a Commissioner with integbrity was 54 years too late and you get the response to let it go and the usual Robert Moses stuff.

Unfortunately in a few years, we'll all be gone and there will be nobody left to carry the torch of truth and it will become accepted that poor Walter O'Malley, seeing his situation deteriorating in Brooklyn wanted to build a beautiful stadium in a perfect location (ha ha) and was prevented from doing so by the evil Robert Moses and continue with the myth of what a classy organization the west coast imposters are and have been.

But we can all have our fun!

Comment

I will continue yelling "tripe" whenever tripe is served, however, it can be lonely being right.
                      you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS
                      http://brooklyndodgermemories.freeforums.org/

Comment

The Dodgers themselves are gone. A reexpansion into Brooklyn, though, hasn't been more possible in decades.

It'd actually be easier to imagine Brooklyn reentering MLB as an American League expansion squad given team count (16 NL squads, 14 AL teams). Literally the only way you'd get a team back in the NL is to put the Brewers back in the AL and expand another AL team west of the Mississippi, where it'd be hard to think of a truly adequate market. (Portland and Western Canada top a fairly paltry list). Alsi division alignment would be a pain. With Pittsburgh already in the Central the East Coast is just too concentrated for another East Coast NL team to work.

Anyway, point is that an expansion into the AL is much more feasible atm as you can expand two Eastern teams (say, Brooklyn and Montreal) and shift Toronto and Minnesota one division west.

So how do you guys feel about going toe to toe with NYY on their own turf?
                        Last edited by Imgran; 04-22-2011, 02:43 PM.

Comment

AL? Ugh. They don't even play real baseball in the AL....you know baseball where the rule book starts out by saing baseball is a game played by 9 players on each team. DH? Not real aseball. Period.

Comment

If you want some interesting reading, go to the LA Times web site, still free and no restriction to 20 articles a month and there is an interesting story about the whole mess involving the Los Angeles National League baseball team and its owner. Then read the comments from the Angelinos and in your mind in every letter, substitute Walter O'Malley for Fran k McCourt and Ebbets Field for Dodger Stadium and it could just as well be comments from Brooklyn fans if such things existed in 1957. They act like this simposter near criminal organization represented class under the O'Malley and now look what's happening what with gangs roaming the stands, parking lots and area around the ballpark making the experience a very unpleasant one. Hm...it almost seems we've heard all this before, doesn't it?

Comment

Like all thnigs we thought were impossible (like me returning to this forum) The things we discussed a few years ago, don't seem quite so crazy now, huh? Like Brooklyn uniforms for some actual games, road games next? Dodgers playing exhibition in a little park in Brooklyn over at Coney...or the Dodgers moving back to Ny?..there is money to be made and a marketing and a public relations dream to be mined for Gold! MONEY!! and enthusiaim for Baseball! The media blitz would be unbelieveable!!..Whichever way the money tilts that's the way the way it goes!! No fan loyalty!! "The O'malley rule"" We go where there's cash"!!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X