No announcement yet.

Clueless Bud Steps in to Order sale of LA National League team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

and there are people who would jump on the fan wagon (ok, that doesn't sound good) just to say they are Brooklyn Dodger fans...age well, the kids and grand kids are indoctrinated, my nephew especially..You'd think he'd seen every game in Brooklyn..cities with no history get teams and rally behind them..

Comment

Welcome back here John! A breath of fresh air indeed!
      you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS
      http://brooklyndodgermemories.freeforums.org/

Comment

Originally posted by MATHA531 View Post
        AL? Ugh. They don't even play real baseball in the AL....you know baseball where the rule book starts out by saing baseball is a game played by 9 players on each team. DH? Not real aseball. Period.
        So what would you have done if an AL team had bought Ebbets Field and moved in back then and took the Brooklyn name?

Comment

Originally posted by aqib View Post
          So what would you have done if an AL team had bought Ebbets Field and moved in back then and took the Brooklyn name?
          I have never accepted what the AL did as real baseball. When that idiotic dh was first proposed, it was supposed to be temporary and the World Series would be played the real way baseball was meant to be played...too bad the owners are so afraid of the Player's Associaton. The only major league, of course, is the National League where real baseball is played!

Comment

Originally posted by MATHA531 View Post
            I have never accepted what the AL did as real baseball. When that idiotic dh was first proposed, it was supposed to be temporary and the World Series would be played the real way baseball was meant to be played...too bad the owners are so afraid of the Player's Associaton. The only major league, of course, is the National League where real baseball is played!
            Right I get that part. I was just curious how you and other Brooklynites would have reacted back then if an AL team had moved in after the Dodgers left.

Comment

I'm 40 years old. I've been a Mets fan since I was six. And I have one thing to say to your proposal -- over my dead body.

I grew up with Tom Seaver, Bob Murphy, Mr. Met, Meet the Mets, Mookie Wilson, Keith Hernandez, Edgardo Alfonzo, Mike Piazza et. al. The Dodgers gave up on New York. The Mets are ours. Let L.A. keep their team -- they're not needed anymore. The Dodgers are not my team, and never have been. And for what it's worth, the New York Mets played more home games at Shea Stadium than the Brooklyn Dodgers played at Ebbets Field. As Casey Stengel would say, you can look it up...

Comment

As much as I love reading about the history of the Brooklyn team and the fanatical attention paid to it by a few fans, it is time to get over it. Sure, we can revel in nostalgia, but the Dodgers reside in LA now, and will continue to do so, despite their bankruptcy. Those who think otherwise are just flat out engaging in pipe dreams.

Comment

KG, I know some of folks who are and were Brooklyn fans. They will never accept the call to "get over it" -- in fact, they find it a little insulting!

Comment

Originally posted by KG Erwin View Post
                    As much as I love reading about the history of the Brooklyn team and the fanatical attention paid to it by a few fans, it is time to get over it. Sure, we can revel in nostalgia, but the Dodgers reside in LA now, and will continue to do so, despite their bankruptcy. Those who think otherwise are just flat out engaging in pipe dreams.
                    Getting over it, as you say, is one thing. Believe me, I don't wake up every morning and say to myself another day without the Brooklyn Dodgers. What am I going to do. At the same time, when the continued lies and revisionist history is thrown out i.e. that the Dodgers were losing money in Brooklyn (they were actually the biggest money makers in the NL), that their attendance sucked (their attendance in 1956 was second best in the NL behind only Milwaukee) and especially that Walter O'Malley was a wonderful human being who was forced by the evil Robert Moses to leave when all he wanted to do was acquire some land to build his own baseball stadium (at the expense, of course, of NYC taxpayers when the Dodgers had a license to print money literally but the city taxpayers should fund it anyway), it becomes important to set the record straight.

The other thing that annoys many of us is the continued efforts of the imposter organization on the left coast to steal our history. Jackie Robinson never played a single game for the Los Angeles National League baseball team. His legacy belongs here where he played. Same thing is true for Campy. Hodges played 11 years here and 4 there. He is a BROOKLYN Dodgers, not a Los Angeles Dodger. Same thing is true for Duke Snider. The history of the organization on the left coast started in 1958 that is their history. Anything before 1958, is our history. And when they wear Brooklyn Dodger jerseys and Brooklyn Dodger caps, they rub further sale into the wounds.

The theft of the Brooklyn franchise is one of the darkest stories in baseball history. It was born of the need for greed on the part of Walter O'Malley and the inability of the Commissioner of baseball to act in the best interests of baseball. That is why it is important to many of us to get the truth out of what really happened in 1957, not the revisionist history that was used to get the evil Walter O'Malley elecdted to the baseball Hall of Fame. He better blongs in the baseball Hall of Shame.

Unfortunately we'll be gone too in the not as distant future as we would like and there will be nobody around to set the record straight. I think what galls many of us the most is when the imposter organization masquerading as the Dodgers on the left coast is portrayed as a classy organization. Their actions in Brooklyn in 1957 make them one of the most classless organizations in baseball history. And we owe it all to the need for greed on the part of Walter F. O'Malley.
                    Last edited by MATHA531; 07-11-2011, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X