No announcement yet.

Does 42 depict Ebbets Field accurately?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does 42 depict Ebbets Field accurately?

I am sure with CGI they can replicate anything, but I just wanted to ask those who actually went to Ebbets Field and saw 42 if it looks like Ebbets looked.

My grandfather was a regular at Ebbets, and he said personally it was a very close fit to how it really was, and I take his view as a fact on it in this case
    MySpace Codes

Comment

I was never there, but that outfield looked dead on from all the pictures and videos Ive seen. Wish they showed more of the Polo Grounds too, we just got that quick glimpse.
      unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
      unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
      unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Comment

Although the film was splattered with errors, both great and small, the depiction of Ebbets Field was "right on."
        you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS
        http://brooklyndodgermemories.freeforums.org/

Comment

Originally posted by penncentralpete View Post
          Although the film was splattered with errors, both great and small, the depiction of Ebbets Field was "right on."
          Pete I'm curious to hear what you thought of the film...

Comment

Originally posted by theAmazingMet View Post
            Pete I'm curious to hear what you thought of the film...
            Basically, I enjoyed it. I will buy the DVD once it's available, again, for the fine depiction(s) of the ballparks, certainly Ebbets Field. The film was typically Hollywood, with flaws only older fans would detect. The pausing and admiring of HRs (ala Reggie & Papi) were phony & incorrect for that era. The Dodgers in Pittsburgh with Robby's HR to win the game and the '47 pennant were totally off base. Robinson did homer in that game, but the Dodgers lost. They actually clinched the NL Flag four nights later (as they slept) with the Cubs' extra-inning win over the Cards in St. Louis (11:30pm Central Time). The Dodger home uniforms were just OK, with the script "Dodgers" about 2 full inches too low on the jersey. The "B" on their caps was a bit swollen, too. All in all, a good film for younger folks to experience.
            you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS

Comment

Ebbets Field accuracy

I'm pretty sure there was never a Budweiser Beer sign in right field as depicted in the movie.

Comment

Originally posted by LESLEGR View Post
                I'm pretty sure there was never a Budweiser Beer sign in right field as depicted in the movie.

Budweiser probably paid a pretty penny for that product placement. But it would have made more sense to have it in Sportsman's Park in St. Louis. Or weren't any scenes set there?
                They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Actually, in 1947, GRIESEDIECK BEER (not Bud) sponsored the St. Louis Cardinals. (pronounced: greasy dick). As Casey would say: "You can look it up."

Comment

Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
                    Budweiser probably paid a pretty penny for that product placement. But it would have made more sense to have it in Sportsman's Park in St. Louis. Or weren't any scenes set there?
                    They didn't show any scenes there that I remember. Shoot, they only showed the Polo Grounds once!

Comment

Another error:

Gene Hermanski batted lefty, not righty.
                      Still patiently waiting @ at Sullivan & McKeever (once THE corner in MLB) for the Brooks to return from their extended road trip.

Comment

Originally posted by penncentralpete View Post
                        The pausing and admiring of HRs (ala Reggie & Papi) were phony & incorrect for that era.
                        Great observation, Pete. I was wondering about this myself. I have seen film footage of the Babe pausing and admiring his homers, but I don't think it was a common practice.

Comment

The Budweiser sign in the right field corner was a politically correct replacement for the the Old Gold cigarette advertisement. The Schaefer Beer sign was not placed on the scoreboard until 1948. The scoreboard was not reconfigured to show RHE totals until 1951. The team pennants were not displayed on the scoreboard until 1951. Gladys Goodding at the organ played and sang the National Anthem on opening day 1947 not the unnamed gentleman in the film.

Comment

Saga Boy Productions impressively recreated the scoreboard and outfield walls with a green backdrop for the movie. Good job on the weathering. Here are photos from production of the set. I do not believe Budweiser was ever used as signage to the right of the foul line. Definitely product placement happening here.

a6cdf21e27b31ac0_org.jpg42 Movie-Saga Boy Productions.png
                            Last edited by Sparticus; 02-14-2014, 06:00 AM.

Comment

For the movie photos above the right field wall depicts incorrect 1955 signage, the wall was shortened left to right. From the proportions above, one panel was omitted.
                              To the right of Esquire sign there should have been "The Knott In The Hole Gang" signage.

The actual photos here (taken May 21,1955) with Jackie show the Knott in the Hole Gang signage just to the right of Jack.
                              1955 May 21.jpeg
                              1955 May 21-1.jpeg
                              Last edited by Sparticus; 02-14-2014, 06:01 AM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X