Gladys gooding national anthem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gladys gooding national anthem

What I would think would be very neat would be if the Brooklyn Nets could dig up a tape of Gladys Gooding playing the National anthem a la what the Flyers do a great deal with Kate Smith and God Bless America with superimposing Lauren Hart on it. I have found at least one broadcast of a Brooklyn Dodger game on you tube with Gladys Gooding playing the anthem, there must be others. But I wonder if anybody here has one and also how to get in touch with the Nets to do something like that before their first playoff game against Miami as a good luck charm (wonder if they've done it before).

Then we could claim Gladys Gooding is the only person to have played for the Dodgers, Knicks, Rangers and Nets!

Wouldn't that be neat but I just don't know how to contact the Nets. Anybody with any good ideas but boy would this be slick.

Public Relations would be the place to start, in my view:

http://www.nba.com/nets/brooklyn/fro..._brooklyn.html

Vice President, Public Relations Gary Sussman
    Senior Director, Public Relations Aaron Harris
    Public Relations Manager Eli Pearlstein

Barclays Center
    620 Atlantic Ave.
    Brooklyn, NY 11217

Sussman is on Twitter.

You could try e-mail (I think it would be gsussman@brooklynnets.com, same formula for the other guys).

Comment

There are a number of audio tapes dating back to 1950 with Gladys doing the National Anthem. What I have always found interesting is that every rendition I have heard is different perhaps owing to how much Gladys had to drink.
      Lets get Eddie Basinski elected to the Polish Sports Hall of Fame.
      www.brooklyndodgermemories.com

Comment

Originally posted by tonypug View Post
        There are a number of audio tapes dating back to 1950 with Gladys doing the National Anthem. What I have always found interesting is that every rendition I have heard is different perhaps owing to how much Gladys had to drink.
        What was interesting is that Gladys not only played the national anthem at Ebbets Field but she sang it also. Later on, when I became a big hockey fan and started attending Rangers game (1961 was the first season I with a bunch of my friends went to every Rangers home game at MSG, 50ยข for side balcony GO card where we had the same people at every game and were allowed to stand in the aisle right over the visitor's bench, it was awesome) but anyway Gladys was the organist at MSG and at 6:15 on Sunday night (6:45 on Wednesday night) began her routine which featured as her second number "Follow the Dodgers" (after dixie)...but MSG had a man named Everet Morrison who sang the anthem (only the US anthem even if a Canadian team was playing but the Canadian teams never polayed the US anthem when American teams were there). It was a sad Sunday evening Rangers game in October 2963 when another organist did things and when I got home that night, I found out that Gladys Gooding had passed away. Still the only person to have played for the Rangers, Knicks and Dodgers.

Incidentally, in doing my due diligence on this, I came across on You Tube a 1957 broadcast of a Dodgers-Cubs game just after Memorial Day weekend with the first of a long Dodgers home stand as referred to by Jerry Dogget and Vin Scully. Very poignant and very sad because I know this was a couple of weeks after that fateful day in May when the NL meeting was held in Chicago and it was announced the Dodgers and Giants had been given permission to pull their treason. Right from the start, Dogget is heard going through the upcoming schedule for the home stand when all the "western" teams of the NL would be coming in (Chicago, Cincinnati, Milwaukee and St. Louis)...the schedule was totally symetric so when the Cubs played at Ebbets Field, I think the Reds played at the Polo Grounds although I could be wrong on the pairings and when they ran the scores, I think he said the Reds (or were they the Redlegs then) were playing at the Polo Grounds but don't hold me to this. I would have to re-check. That means the other two so called Western teams would be playing at Connie Mack Stadium and Forbes Field.

It was really sad listening to Dogget tell the audience the Dodgers would be playing the next day in Jersey City (remember in 56 and 57 to try to blackmail the city, O'Malley moved one Dodger game against each NL opponent to Jersey City) and then Vin comes on to do the play by play of the first three innings (I believe the third member of that team was Al Helfer who was probably on television as the Dodgers televised every home game on channel 9) and Vin says to pull up a chair and then says there are still plenty 0f seats available (of course there were as by then the writing was on the wall the Dodgers were a goner although O'Malley, true to his lying ways, kept saying there was still time although we now know that in October 1956, he told the LA City council that no matter what they heard, the Dodges were coming to LA and that he would have to lie to sucker as many Brooklyn fans as possible with the illusion they could still save the team. In any event, Scully is heard telling the fans right from the start there were plenty of seats available and to come on out. Then he say show great it is to be home even though he spilled coffee all over his freshly dry cleaned suit.

Really neat stuff and I think all you guys might enjoy the tape (maybe you've heard it before; it's been on You Tube for a while).

Comment

https://archive.org/details/baseball_otr this link will take you to that plus two other Dodger games as well as a few other old games. Enjoy.
          Lets get Eddie Basinski elected to the Polish Sports Hall of Fame.
          www.brooklyndodgermemories.com

Comment

The first Knicks game I attended at MSG was November 16,1963 vs the Cincinnati Royals. It was the Gladys Gooddings final performance at the Garden.. She had a heart attack the following afternoon and died the next day. She was replaced by Virginia Thomas who remained the organist through the 1967-1968 season. She closed the old Garden and opened the new Garden. She was replaced by Eddie Layton in Oct 1968

Comment

LAS1914 not withstanding, spelling Goodding with one "d" is tantamount to spelling Ebbets with two "t's."
              Last edited by penncentralpete; 05-27-2014, 01:19 PM.
              you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS
              http://brooklyndodgermemories.freeforums.org/

Comment

I spelled Goodding correctly. Reread my post

Comment

Originally posted by LAS1914 View Post
                  I spelled Goodding correctly. Reread my post
                  I KNOW you did. I GAVE you credit for doing so...................re-read MY post. I singled you out as the only one who was correct!
                  you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS
                  http://brooklyndodgermemories.freeforums.org/

Comment

Check out games 6 & 7 1952 WS on you tube for the clearest renditions of Gladys Goodding singing the National Anthem. Game 7 is the best as Tex Rickard can be heard clearly introducing Gladys. Game 6 there is a sound issue and Bob Costas introduces the anthem. By 1957 Gladys' voice was not as vibrant and while the anthem is introduced on the broadcast by the announcers Gladys is not. On two of the broadcasts Gladys is heard playng the Mexican Hand clapping song.during the 7th inning stretch. Al Helfer mentions that Gladys performed the song.
                    Gladys was invited to sing the anthem the day the demolition began at Ebbets Field. She declined and Lucy Monroe, who sang at Yankees Stadium for the the World Series and special events sang the anthem. She was mentioned in newspaper reports as having performed the anthem numerous times at Dodger games which is untrue. Gladys only missed a few games at Ebbets Field from 1942 thru 1957. She missed one game during WW2 when she played at MSG for a Boy Scout function and in 1954 a few games during a musician's strike. During WW2 the anthem was occasionally played by a military band during special ceremonies and a friend of Waler O'Malley sang on opening day in 1956 or 1957.

Gladys was still playing at MSG and the Mets offered her the job at the Polo Grounds. Gladys declined as she had arthritis and could not make the trip to the Polo Grounds. She lived across the street from MSG and played there until she died in Nov 1963.

Comment

Originally posted by LAS1914 View Post
                      Check out games 6 & 7 1952 WS on you tube for the clearest renditions of Gladys Goodding singing the National Anthem. Game 7 is the best as Tex Rickard can be heard clearly introducing Gladys. Game 6 there is a sound issue and Bob Costas introduces the anthem. By 1957 Gladys' voice was not as vibrant and while the anthem is introduced on the broadcast by the announcers Gladys is not. On two of the broadcasts Gladys is heard playng the Mexican Hand clapping song.during the 7th inning stretch. Al Helfer mentions that Gladys performed the song.
                      Gladys was invited to sing the anthem the day the demolition began at Ebbets Field. She declined and Lucy Monroe, who sang at Yankees Stadium for the the World Series and special events sang the anthem. She was mentioned in newspaper reports as having performed the anthem numerous times at Dodger games which is untrue. Gladys only missed a few games at Ebbets Field from 1942 thru 1957. She missed one game during WW2 when she played at MSG for a Boy Scout function and in 1954 a few games during a musician's strike. During WW2 the anthem was occasionally played by a military band during special ceremonies and a friend of Waler O'Malley sang on opening day in 1956 or 1957.

Gladys was still playing at MSG and the Mets offered her the job at the Polo Grounds. Gladys declined as she had arthritis and could not make the trip to the Polo Grounds. She lived across the street from MSG and played there until she died in Nov 1963.
                      Just some quick post scripts. Gladys continued to be the organist at least for Ranger games until the day she died in November 1963; I suppose Knicks games too but I never attended a Knicks game as to this day I despise basketball. But from the early 60's on, I attended every Rangers game. She began playing 15 minutes before warm ups started (6:15 for Sunday night games and 6:45 for Wednesday night games). Her repertoire never varied. Her second selection was always "Follow the Dodgers." She played Dixie as her third selection; I forget or never knew the name of her first sone. When the Rangers took the ice for their warm up 30 minutes before the game, she played the Rangers Victory song. She also had a song for every one of the five visiting teams except Toronto. For Montreal it was their theme song as played at the Forum (les Canadiens sont la), Detroit was I want to go back I want to go back to the farm (I suppose that was the theme song the Red Wings used for their home games), the Bruins were their Boston Garden theme song (pare), Chicago was Chicago, Chicago what a town, but for the Leafs she had nothing (although it could have been the Maple Leaf forever although it was an unofficial Canadian national anthem although the Leafs played as the Canadian national anthem before their home games, God Save the Queen before O Canada achieved status). However while she played the US National Anthem before the game (and they never played the Canadian anthem sort of retaliation for the Smyths refusing to play the US National Anthem at Maple Leaf Gardens for games involving US teams), she didn't sing it. The vocalist, at least from 1961 on was a man named Everett Morrison I believe.

I will never forget the Sundayt night game I attended in November 1963 when they said nothing and she didn't play the organ there and found out when I got home she had passed away that day. Ah. Boyhood memories.

Comment

Gladys played the organ for all sports events(Rangers,Americans,Rovers,Knicks,boxing,wres tling,roller derby,college basketball regular season and tournaments, tennis) at Madison Square Garden from 1937 until 1963. She didn't entertain on the organ for Track and Field but played and sang the anthem. I don't know when she stopped singing but I believe it was after 1958. She also played for boxing matches at St. Nicholas Arena when not scheduled at the Garden. She was succeed by Virginia Thomas who played the organ until the old Garden closed and opened the new Garden. She was replaced by Eddie Layton at the start of the 1968 - 1969 season. Virginia didn't play songs for visiting teams but played the Rangers Victory Song each time the Rangers took the ice. My father took me to Ebbets Field and Gladys played about an hour before the game and played a song for each team except for the Boston Braves. When the Braves moved to Milwaukee Jane Jarvis(Mets organist) became the Braves organist in 1954. She and Gladys exchanged sheet music and the Braves team song was played as well.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X