tallest building?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tallest building?

What was (1930s-1960s) the tallest building/structure in Brooklyn's borders? Was it Ebbets with the light fixtures? or a warehouse?

just curious as there are not many tall buildings visabile in most photos of Brooklyn.
    Son, we'd like to keep you around this season but we're going to try and win a pennant.

Originally posted by dreifort
    What was (1930s-1960s) the tallest building/structure in Brooklyn's borders? Was it Ebbets with the light fixtures? or a warehouse?

just curious as there are not many tall buildings visabile in most photos of Brooklyn.

I believe it was The WILLIAMSBURG SAVINGS BANK.

C.

Comment

how many stories was/is it? and was it visible from Ebbets seating?

thanks Deb!

Son, we'd like to keep you around this season but we're going to try and win a pennant.

Comment

Originally posted by dreifort
        how many stories was/is it? and was it visible from Ebbets seating?

thanks Deb!

I do not know how many stories it is. I believe it is still standing, though it probably isn't the Savings Bank any longer.

No, WE could not see it from Ebbets Field.

I may be wrong, but I don't think there was any other building taller than it, in Brooklyn, during those years.

c.

Comment

"The Willie" was 512' high.

Comment

According to several websites, the "Willie" is not only still
            standing, but is being converted to luxury condos.

It is 34 stories tall and was built between 1927 and 1929.

Brownie31

Comment

It' still standing see it everyday on my way home from work.
              unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
              unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
              unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Comment

It also is one of the buildings represented in the famous Mets logo. I think there is also a church to represent Brooklyn, the borough of churches.
                sigpic

Comment

I believe it's still the tallest building in Brooklyn, isn't it? At least, that's what they said during a broadcast of the NYC Marathon in one recent year (don't remember exactly when).
                  I will not assimilate into the Angelos Collective. Resistance is not futile.

Comment

"While the Williamsburgh Savings Bank is the tallest building in Brooklyn, it's not the tallest structure. That distinction goes to the 597-foot tall radio/TV tower at Brooklyn Tech High School on Fort Greene Place (foreground)."

http://www.forgotten-ny.com/STREET%2...ie/willie.html

I fear what Mr. Bruce Ratner is going to throw up in his Atlantic Yards development -- the spot that The Big O wanted.

Here's the condo story:

http://www.therealdeal.net/issues/Ma...1109908732.php

Comment

The Williamsburg Savings Bank Building has been the lair of the borough's dentists for years now.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X