1955 World Series Roster Survivors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1955 World Series Roster Survivors

I Know That Don Newcombe And Duke Snider Are Still Alive, Does Anyone Know About Anybody Else?

Originally posted by PEDRO
    I Know That Don Newcombe And Duke Snider Are Still Alive, Does Anyone Know About Anybody Else?

Welcome, PEDRO, to OUR Brooklyn Dodger Squad!

Yes, there are a total of 11 survivors of OUR 1955 World Championship team.

Besides Duke Snider and Don Newcombe, there are Clem Labine, Johnny Podres, Ed Roebuck, George Shuba, Roger Craig, Billy Loes, Sandy Koufax, Don Zimmer and Carl Erskine.

There are others that were not on OUR 1955 Team that are still with us... Ralph Branca, Bobby Morgan, Randy Jackson, Gino Cimoli, Ken Lehman, Andy Pafko, Dick Williams, Gene Hermanski and Rocky Bridges are a few of them.

c.

Comment

Although not on the official 1955 World Series team, Tommy Lasorda "sorta" was on the team, at least until June 8, 1955.

Comment

1955 dodgers

here is the yearly team of the 1955 dodgers:

1b-gil hodges-passed away--1972
        2b-jim gilliam-passed away--1978
        ss-pee wee reese-passed away--1999
        3b-jackie robinson-passed away--1972
        of-duke snider-alive
        of-carl furillo-passed away--1989
        of-sandy amoros-passed away--?

backup players:don zimmer-alive, don hoak-died, rube walker-died-1992, frank kellert-died, george "shotgun" shuba-alive, dixie howell-died, bob borkowski-alive, walt moryn-died, bert hanric-died.

pitchers:

R-don newcombe-alive
        R-carl erskine-alive
        L-johnny podres-alive
        R-billy loes-alive
        R-russ meyer-died

bullpen:

R-ed roebuck-alive
        R-clem labine-alive
        R-jim hughes-died
        R-don bessent-died
        L-karl spooner-died

other pitchers:
        roger craig-alive, sandy koufax-alive, joe black-died-2002, chuck templeton-died, tommy lasorda-alive.

glad to help!

Comment

Sadly, SANDY AMOROS, one of the heros of OUR 1955 World Championship, passed away in 1992.

c.

Comment

Sandy Amoros passed away June 27, 1992. I imagine his soul will be present for your celebration. The same goes for Jackie, Pee Wee, Gil and the rest. I don't think think they'd miss it for anything . I've always been struck by how fondly your Brooklyn Dodgers recall you, their fans, in interview after interview. What you shared together can never be recreated. You know that. What you continue to share can only be envied by the rest of us.
            Last edited by zman; 06-24-2005, 07:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by zman
              Sandy Amoros passed away June 27, 1992. I imagine his soul will be present for your celebration. The same goes for Jackie, Pee Wee, Gil and the rest. I don't think think they'd miss it for anything . I've always been struck by how fondly your Brooklyn Dodgers recall you, their fans, in interview after interview. What you shared together can never be recreated. You know that. What you continue to share can only be envied by the rest of us.
              Thank you, zman!

OUR Brooklyn Dodgers and US......truly a family! They were as much a part of US as WE were of them....and not one of them has ever forgotten the bond WE shared...and still do to this day.

As I have always said...IT was a SPECIAL TIME, in a SPECIAL PLACE, with a VERY SPECIAL TEAM, who had VERY LOYAL and SPECIAL FANS.......sadly, BASEBALL will NEVER see the likes of US again! :gt

c.

Comment

I do not knpow how you guys did it, but you left out catcher. Campy unfortunately died in 1993, and Rube Walker died a few years later.

Comment

Originally posted by zman
                  do u mean me?
                  if u do, sorry to tell u im no dodger fan...
                  GO YANKEES!

Comment

Originally posted by yes to bert & al!
                    do u mean me?
                    if u do, sorry to tell u im no dodger fan...
                    GO YANKEES!
                    No. My comments were directed toward Brooklyn Dodgers fans. I'm a Yankees fan myself and born too late (1954) to experience that wonderful era of Brooklyn baseball.
                    Last edited by zman; 06-27-2005, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Does anyone know when Doc Wendler the Dodgers trainer passed away, or John Griffin the clubhouse man who supplied all the crazy hats we see in pictures?
                      Lets get Eddie Basinski elected to the Polish Sports Hall of Fame.
                      www.brooklyndodgermemories.com

Comment

zman-
                        im a yankee fan too, but i was born VERY late to experience any of the brooklyn years.
                        but i am filling in for those years by getting all these dodgers' autographs.

tonypug-
                        good question, i have another question-
                        does anyone know when pete sheehy died? its been bugging me for a long time.

Comment

A name no one has mentioned is back up catcer Joe Pignatano. Not sure if he actually played in Brooklyn, but I think he might have for a brief time. :atthepc
                          http://www.nflfans.com/x/forumdisplay.php?f=55 :atthepc

Comment

Originally posted by ColtscorrAL
                            A name no one has mentioned is back up catcer Joe Pignatano. Not sure if he actually played in Brooklyn, but I think he might have for a brief time. :atthepc

"Piggy" did play on OUR 1957 team....and is still very much alive. He enjoys golfing, almost every day!

c.

Comment

Originally posted by DODGER DEB
                              "Piggy" did play on OUR 1957 team....and is still very much alive. He enjoys golfing, almost every day!

c.
                              Thanks Deb :atthepc
                              http://www.nflfans.com/x/forumdisplay.php?f=55 :atthepc

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X