Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First inside the park home run

Hi!

Does anyone know which Expo hit the first inside the park home run in the history of the team? When and where did it happen?

Thanks in advance,
    Claude.
    « But what's puzzlin' you is the nature of my game... »

As a matter of fact I (almost) do

First inside the park HR by an Expos: Bobby Wine, april 30th 1970 in LA.

The Expos hit a total of 26 inside the park homers, surrendering just 19. Of those 19, 6 were by St-Louis Cardinals, more than any other team, obviously.

Three Expos players have had multiple inside the park HR, Valentine, and two guys that can hardly be considered speedters, Tim Wallach and Gary Carter.

Hope that can be helpful.

Augustin_"Gus" ou comme on dit en latin: Doctus cum libro
    From now until the end of September, I'll be chronicling in real time on Twitter the 1946 season of the International league's Montréal Royals, when Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier in professional baseball. Check it out: https://twitter.com/Royals_46season

Comment

Originally posted by Augustin_"Gus"
      First inside the park HR by an Expos: Bobby Wine, april 30th 1970 in LA.

The Expos hit a total of 26 inside the park homers, surrendering just 19. Of those 19, 6 were by St-Louis Cardinals, more than any other team, obviously.

Three Expos players have had multiple inside the park HR, Valentine, and two guys that can hardly be considered speedters, Tim Wallach and Gary Carter.

Hope that can be helpful.

Augustin_"Gus" ou comme on dit en latin: Doctus cum libro
      Where do you find all those informations?
      I was tryin' to find the answer but I failed...I didn't find anything anywhere

Thanks
      Nos Amours! ... 1969-2004

Comment

Thanks a lot, Gus.

I'll even add that Wine had a little help : while going after the ball, RF Andy Kosco knocked out hitting RF foul pole. That's what Retrosheet reports in their PBP of the game.
        « But what's puzzlin' you is the nature of my game... »

Comment

I hadn't planned on buying a media guide at the garage sale last year, I just picked one out of the boxes of guides they had left, and I have to say I didn't regret it.
          From now until the end of September, I'll be chronicling in real time on Twitter the 1946 season of the International league's Montréal Royals, when Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier in professional baseball. Check it out: https://twitter.com/Royals_46season

Comment

Wallach's 2 insiders

Weren't Wallach's two hit just a few weeks apart? I think the second one hit the top edge of the center field fence. July/Aug of '87, I think. I remember watching the game. It was a while ago, though...

ennz

Comment

Wallach's inside the park HR were indeed about five weeks apart. The first one was on July 11th, 1987 in Cincinnati, and the second one was on August 15th, 1987 against Pittsburgh.

Comment

Originally posted by Augustin_"Gus"
                I hadn't planned on buying a media guide at the garage sale last year, I just picked one out of the boxes of guides they had left, and I have to say I didn't regret it.
                would it be possible to have a copy of that emailed?

Comment

Andy Kosco - Knocked out Cold

I was 11 years old when I attended the Dodgers vs Expo game on April 30, 1970. I was sitting on the 3rd base side along the Left field foul line.

The Expo player hit a long shot down the Right Field foul line with Andy Kosco running flat out about 90 degrees to the foul line. He made the catch, crossed into foul territory, and BAMMM, ran head first into the light pole. We could hear the sound of the collision from our seats.

Kosco form a standing position, was knocked out cold, fell straight back like a tree onto his back and the ball fell out of his glove. He didn't move an inch. Pretty much the entire Dodger team ran out to his aid including the Catcher.

The Expo player trotted around the bases for the inside park homer unopposed.

I was talking about the play with a buddy today, did a google search on the subject and found this forum.

HerbieSnerd

Comment

Wow, very intesresting account, Herbie, thanks for sharing that with us.

Welcome to BBF. Great place to talk about the game.

Was Kosco seriously hurt on that play?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X