A few facts and numbers about the Expos at the All Star Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few facts and numbers about the Expos at the All Star Game

With the 2006 MLB All Star Game taking place this Tuesday, I thought it would be fun to share this with you all.

*** 34 different Expos were selected to the ASG, 21 position players and 13 pitchers, including 3 who never played (also see the great post by Slaff here http://www.baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=31195).

*** We had to wait until 1970 before an Expo actually played in that game: Rusty Staub (also selected for the 1969 game but who didn’t play in it) made it as a pinch-hitter in the 3rd inning and flied out to center field against Jim Palmer.

*** The last Expo to play in the ASG was Jose Vidro in 2003 (Livan Hernandez was there in 2004 but did not play). Starting the game at second base for the NL, he was called out on strikes in the 5th inning against Shigetosi Hasegawa before being taken out of the game.

*** Over their 36 years history, 21 Expos batters hit 22 for 80 (.275) at the ASG, 4 home runs and 10 RBIs.

*** The best: Gary Carter (5/13), Al Oliver (3/4), Tim Raines (3/10), and Vladimir Guerrero (2/6). The worst: Andre Dawson (2/11) and Tim Wallach (1/9).

*** The 4 four home runs belong to Carter (3, 2 in 1981 and 1 in 1984) and Marquis Grissom (1994). Carter also had 5 of the 10 RBIs and 3 of 11 total runs.

*** On the mound, 10 pitchers combined for 2 wins, 2 losses, 23.1 innings, 24 hits allowed, 10 runs (all earned), 4 walks, 19 SOs, and 3.86 ERA.

*** Winning pitcher in 1982 at Stade Olympique, Steve Rogers was the best, by far, giving up one earned run and 6 hits in 7 innings and 3 games.

*** Dennis Martinez may have been the worst : in 3 games (including a loss in 1991), he pitched 4 innings, surrendered 4 hits, 3 earned runs, 1 walk and 2 SOs. But how could we forget Ugueth Urbina’s 1998 outing: 1 loss, 1 inning, 3 runs, 3 hits, and 1 walk plus 1 wild pitch and 3 stolen bases against.

*** The fielding stats show that the Expos were almost perfect: Jose Vidro made the only error by a Montreal player from 1969 to 2004, in 95 total team chances. It happened in 2000 while he was the second baseman.

*** The Expo fielder who played the most innings at one position was Gary Carter, who caught 31 innings in 6 games (he also played one inning at LF in 1975)… Andre Dawson is the only Expo who played a complete game, doing the trick twice at CF in 1981 and 1982… Over 87 total outfield fielding innings, Marquis Grissom is the only Expo with an assist, which he collected in 1994 (quite a game for him: remember that he also hit a home run).

*** Three Expo rookies went to the ASG: Carter in 1975, Raines in 1981 and… Carlos Perez in 1995 (bet you had forgotten that one!)

*** 4 batters went to the home run contest: Hubie Brooks in 1986 (1 HR in a 8-7 NL win at Houston’s Astrodome), Larry Walker in 1992 (4 HRs in a 27-13 NL loss at San Diego’s Jack Murphy Stadium), Henry Rodriguez in 1996 (3 HRs in one round at Philadelphia’s Veterans Stadium), and Vladimir Guerrero in 2000 (2 HRs in one round at Atlanta’s Turner Field).

=====EDIT 2011=====

**** Gary Carter killed the only base-runner who attempted to steal a base against him. With Fernando Valenzuela on the mound, The Kid threw Rod Carew out in the bottom of the first inning of the 1981 game, as he was trying to steal second base.

**** Charlie Lea also picked off Chet Lemon at first base to end the top of the second inning in 1984.

**** Expos batters were used eight (8) times as pinch hitters. Larry Walker, in 1992, and Henry Rodriguez, in 1996, both hit a single, the latter driving in a run. Tim Raines also drew a base on balls in 1985 and later scored.

**** Raines was the only Expo used as a pinch-runner. It happened in 1981. Interestingly, he was officially picked off by Rollie Fingers, but was safe back at first on a pitcher’s error, and then went to second base on the play. He was stranded at third.
    Last edited by Chicoutimi CP; 03-20-2011, 09:51 AM.
    « But what's puzzlin' you is the nature of my game... »

Great stuff Chicoutimi! Gary Carter sure had some good numbers. The overall stats aren't bad at all.

Comment

Nice little package of goodies CP!

On my XM Radio they keep on hyping the all-star game with the pitch 'Most all-star games are boring but 1994 was an exception.' That was the year Moises Alou drove home the winning run on a double in the 10th. There was a play at the plater and Tony Gwynn beat Ivan Rodriguez's tag. Bob Costas had a great call of that moment.:radio

From Baseball Almanac:
      It was three Expos: Ken Hill, Marquis Grissom and Moises Alou who stole the show. Hill pitched two scoreless innings; Grissom staked the National League to a 5-4 lead with a sixth-inning homer; and Alou delivered the game-winning double it the tenth.
      '94, the best of times and the worst of times.
      Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Among these classic moments by Expos players, don't forget July 14th 1987, when Tim Raines hit a 2-run triple in the top of 13th inning off Jay Howell in a 2-0 win by the NL. That gave the Rock the game's MVP Award.

Comment

I do believe (and my good friend the media guide agrees) that Carlos Perez went to the All-Star game in 95 and not in 96.

Actually, I did remember Carlos Perez in 95. That was the great letdown after 94 and I remember watching the game at the family cabin in Lanaudière and thinking that it was just sad that a team so dominant just a year before would send only one player to the ASG, despite having his manager coaching the NL.

And sad it was indeed...
          From now until the end of September, I'll be chronicling in real time on Twitter the 1946 season of the International league's Montréal Royals, when Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier in professional baseball. Check it out: https://twitter.com/Royals_46season

Comment

Now that the regular season has resumed, here is a final note on the All-Star Game. The SABR Montreal chapter sent me this this morning. (This might be the first time that we have seen a Washington-based writer consider the Expos in a discussion about the franchise's performance.)

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X