X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A bit off topic

I know I'm a touch off topic, but allow me to say this:

Go Broncos.
    From now until the end of September, I'll be chronicling in real time on Twitter the 1946 season of the International league's Montréal Royals, when Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier in professional baseball. Check it out: https://twitter.com/Royals_46season

Originally posted by Augustin_"Gus"

Go Broncos.
    How about:

Go Habs
    TRADE THEODORE!
    Cristobal

Comment

Since we're off topic already I have a question

Anyone else watch '110%'?

These guys are hilarious. Not on purpose mind you, but because they're idiots. I laugh when I hear their NFL predictions...Like they even watch...
      Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

I don't watch 110% out of principle, beacuse I know many people who, just like yourself, watch just for comic relief beaucuse it's a crappy show and all the guests (and the host) are idiots. But if there wasn't so many people who watched tv shows beacuse theyre crappy, there wouldn't be as many crappy shows on tv.

Sometimes I feel as if I watch it regularely (SP?) caus' everytime I speak to my dad, an addict of the show, he makes a point of honor to tell me what's been happening on 110, even tough I clearly stated on more than one occasion that I absolutely don't care. And I always make a point of honor to poke fun at him for watching that. I know, we've all seen better male bondage, but that's pretty much all we got...

That being said, I almost peed my pants the other day when I listened to Christian gauthier, Jacques Demers and Dany Dubé (prononcez Dané Dub&#233 on CKAC talking about the Rose Bowl game between USC and Texas. As a segway to talking about the Canadiens, but still. The three of them had just learned the existence of College football, and they were very impressed by what they had seen.

BTW, in my line of work, I get to see a lot of sport sections from daily newspapers across Canada. Will anyone be surprised if I tell you that on most nights, the Halifax (Nova Scotia) Daily News and the Cornerbrook (Newfoundland and Labrador) Western Star have sports pages that are far more interesting than what we get in La Presse, or in Le Journal de Montréal?

I bet you not.
        Last edited by Augustin_"Gus"; 01-10-2006, 01:59 AM.
        From now until the end of September, I'll be chronicling in real time on Twitter the 1946 season of the International league's Montréal Royals, when Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier in professional baseball. Check it out: https://twitter.com/Royals_46season

Comment

Any Habs fans here?

Are there any diehard Montreal Canadiens fans here.
          They need some help.
          First off trade theodore, dagenais , Ribeiro, Bonk.
          Start playing some hockey every day like against Ottawa.

Now as we're off topic, who is your favorite Hab?

Now batting...number 27...Alex...Kooovaaaleeev!!
          Cristobal

Comment

I'm starting to get into hockey as there is nothing else to look for right now in Montreal, I'm even starting to learn to play and I must say it is the hardest sport I have ever tried. What I'm getting pretty tired of here is the transformation of French Canadian athletes into god's, Theo for example, Steve Begin, Eric Lapointe and Alexandre Despatie. I don't mean to insult any of you with that remark, the process is used in every other country I have lived in before but the United States, where the huge number of superstar athletes in many different sports result in a sort of anonymity of sportsmen in lesser known sports.

Augustin, which sports show would you recommend watching here? I don't have cable, and am stuck between 110% where hockey is almost the only sport talked about (the only baseball related show I ever saw there was about Youppi becoming a Canadien) and Au dessus de la melee. I also miss the San Francisco newspaper for sports news although something I appreciate about La Presse is that baseball statistics of every player are there everyday, even though there are no box scores.

Wilkerson_Rulz, Huet is goalie against Colorado:gt , and I wonder if the number 27 of Guerrero on Kovalevs Jersey influenced me to choose him as a favourite player or if it was his skill .

Comment

Originally posted by wilkerson_rulz
              Are there any diehard Montreal Canadiens fans here.
              They need some help.
              First off trade theodore, dagenais , Ribeiro, Bonk.
              Start playing some hockey every day like against Ottawa.

Now as we're off topic, who is your favorite Hab?

Now batting...number 27...Alex...Kooovaaaleeev!!
              I'm a hardcore Habs fan. My knowledge of hockey dwarfs my knowledge of baseball. I really understand the game within the game of hockey. I played goal all my life, and I'm pretty decent.

My favourite player is probably Koivu. The Triumph over Cancer and his coughing up blood during the last player elevated him as a true leader in my eyes. As a goalie, Theodore used to be my favourite but the endless commercials, the earing, the goofing off with the middle finger and all the rest sort of irritate me.

If this thread were opened up in any other forum it would have been closed long ago. We're the modless mavericks!

Comment

Originally posted by Ontarioguy
                If this thread were opened up in any other forum it would have been closed long ago. We're the modless mavericks!
                We have freedom alright. But with freedom comes great responsability. We have to use it wisely.

I've resisted the temptation to get into an in-depth discussion about the Canadiens. Considering the fact that this city's obsession with les Glorieux was a main factor that lead to the moving of the Expos, it think it would be odd for us to discuss that in here. But that's just me.

As far as sports shows are concerned, ex-expo, I don't really have sports shows to recommend. I really don't watch sports shows, besides an occasionnal installement of Pardon the interruption on TSN. Youre always better off watching a sports event than watching a sports show. I mean, what does Daniel Poulin or Jean-Michel Dufaux know about hockey that you don't? You probably know as much about the game as Michel Bergeron as a matter of fact. That is, I believe, one of the problems we have with our sport reporters in this town. They probably watch a lot more sport shows than actual sport. Mitch Melnick on Team 990 the other day said that last weekend, he unplugged the phone to watch the NFL. On the other hand, I can bet you that 90% of the people on the RDS roster watch about an NFL game a year, the Super Bowl, mostly for the ads. And I don't even want to talk about Marie-Claude Savard on TVA that pretends to be anything from an passionate Expo fan to an addict of American football, while you know full well that she's completely full of it. If you ask me, I think that, in sports like in business, we're always better skipping what we call in french "les intermédiaires (not sure how it goes in english) and go right to the source.

Comment

Originally posted by Augustin_"Gus"

Go Broncos.

Good work boys. Let's keep it going.

Comment

If forced, with a gun to your heads of course, which would you give up first:

Your wives or the Habs?
                    "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
                    Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Originally posted by runningshoes53
                      If forced, with a gun to your heads of course, which would you give up first:

Your wives or the Habs?
                      Hmmm...tough question.
                      I don't think my hottie would appreciate me shooting her, then again, I would lose my all-time favorite sports team (Sorry Expos, I love the Habs more by 0.1% ) and Alex Kovalev.

I would shoot myself!
                      Joke. Probably the Habs even though a situation such as this one will NEVER happen.
                      Cristobal

Comment

2 game baby!!

The Habs won yesterday...beat the Stars (who were on a 6-game win streak!) 4-2. Kovalev had a goal, Ribs had 2 , and Dandenault had one!
                        The Habs, Bob Gainey, Guy Carbonneau are on a 2-game win streak and Gainey is 2-0 as interim coach...the Habs have just beaten two teams who were on 6-game win streaks...I dreamed Mike Modano died of a heart attack last night!:radio ...and that's it... Theo is still crap as usual, anyone who saw the 2nd goal he let in knows...even though the Habs were outshoy 37-15...it was a decent win.

Next stop: 6 game road trip, hope we go on a 6-game road win streak (see SJ and DAL!)
                        Last edited by wilkerson_rulz-06; 01-17-2006, 09:30 AM. Reason: title, HABS RULE!
                        Cristobal

Comment

Does anyone else think we should close this thread? I love the Habs but I come here to talk baseball. I don't mind letting people know my favourite Habs players and what not, but I dont think a game-by-game following of the Habs is a good idea. (I'm not trying to attack you W_R) Also, This type of thread goes against the BF rules.

I don't care either way. What I'm asking my fellow Expos fans is do we want one off-topic thread for our little gang or should we just stick to baseball.

I'll contact a moderator to close this thread if this type of thread bothers people.

Comment

Originally posted by Ontarioguy
                            Does anyone else think we should close this thread? I love the Habs but I come here to talk baseball. I don't mind letting people know my favourite Habs players and what not, but I dont think a game-by-game following of the Habs is a good idea. (I'm not trying to attack you W_R) Also, This type of thread goes against the BF rules.

I don't care either way. What I'm asking my fellow Expos fans is do we want one off-topic thread for our little gang or should we just stick to baseball.

I'll contact a moderator to close this thread if this type of thread bothers people.
                            Aww... there goes our freedom.
                            Are you contacting him right now?
                            I didn't mean to annoy anone and if I did I'm sorry.

It'd be kind of nice if we had one off-topic thread.
                            I'll stop the game-by-game now!
                            Last edited by wilkerson_rulz-06; 01-17-2006, 10:02 AM.
                            Cristobal

Comment

It'd be kind of nice if we had one off-topic thread just for us Expos buddies.
                              I'll stop the game-by-game now!
                              I'll do a week-by-week!
                              Cristobal

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X