X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wilkerson_rulz
    Aww... there goes our freedom.
    Are you contacting him right now?
    I didn't mean to annoy anone and if I did I'm sorry.
    No, no. I'm not contacting one right now. I want input from AG and the other posters.

You didnt annoy me by the way. You've been a welcome addition, bringing life back to this quiet baord. We've lost some quality members over the last year or so. I'm not against the idea of an off-topic thread. But I don't think we should be following the Habs on a game by game basis. But I think an off-topic thread would be good. We could introduce ourselves and talk about all aspects of Montreal. For example, where to get the best smoked meat or Poutine? That sort of thing. This board has been pretty quiet lately and the Off-topic board has brought some life back to it.

Buy at the same time, we are bending the rules and if it bothers people, they should have a say in it.

I won't contact a mod if nobody's upset. I'm just curious how the posters around here feel.
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Originally posted by Ontarioguy
      No, no. I'm not contacting one right now. I want input from AG and the other posters.

You didnt annoy me by the way. You've been a welcome addition, bringing life back to this quiet baord. We've lost some quality members over the last year or so. I'm not against the idea of an off-topic thread. But I don't think we should be following the Habs on a game by game basis. But I think an off-topic thread would be good. We could introduce ourselves and talk about all aspects of Montreal. For example, where to get the best smoked meat or Poutine? That sort of thing. This board has been pretty quiet lately and the Off-topic board has brought some life back to it.

Buy at the same time, we are bending the rules and if it bothers people, they should have a say in it.

I won't contact a mod if nobody's upset. I'm just curious how the posters around here feel.
      Thanks for the kind words, you are one of the few posters around here.

I wasn't pointing at you Ontarioguy when I said if annoyed anyone, I just meant in general.

The best smoked meat is at Pete's Meat, in Ile Perrot.
      Damn its good!
      Cristobal

Comment

Where does the (nick)name Habs come from?

There is nothing I can discover in Montréal Canadiens.:noidea

Comment

Originally posted by yankees rule
          Where does the (nick)name Habs come from?

There is nothing I can discover in Montréal Canadiens.:noidea
          It's just a nickname ( I don't know where it comes from).
          Like Bean Town Sox= Boston Red Sox.
          Cristobal

Comment

A common misconception is that the logo for the Montreal Canadiens ice hockey team (the letter "C" wrapped around an "H") symbolizes Les Habitants Canadiens, thus fans and sports commentators frequently refer to the team as the "The Habs or "Les Habitants" in French.

Comment

Yankees Rule, Here's a good introduction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montreal_Canadiens

Comment

Originally posted by raineman30
                A common misconception is that the logo for the Montreal Canadiens ice hockey team (the letter "C" wrapped around an "H") symbolizes Les Habitants Canadiens, thus fans and sports commentators frequently refer to the team as the "The Habs or "Les Habitants" in French.
                Le Club de Hockey Canadien.

The logo is actually a H envelopped in the C, raineman is right.
                Cristobal

Comment

Since we're off topic....
                  YOu guys like football?? I say Panthers all the way!!!!
                  What are your superbowl predictions????
                  REMEMBER THE EXPOS

Comment

Originally posted by Gjm130
                    I don't really like football but I can say this...Superbowl champs: Seattle Seahawks.
                    Cristobal

Comment

Well, I started this thread. Would be odd for me to say it's wrong.

I mentionned previously I don't think we should go in depth about the Canadiens, for a number a reasons, including the orgiac media coverage of the team, how much that coverage has been detrimental to the Expos over the years, the fact they refuse to play Komisarek and such. But I think it would be nice to have a thread were we can talk about a range of subjects not necessarily related to baseball. I mean, as nice as it is to reminice about the Expos, we don't have much else to do since the team left. It's nice to have something to discuss that's not in the past tense.

And if we bend the rules of BBF just a touch, I think it's something we can all live with. Plus the off topic thread his clearly identified. No one as the obligation to read it.

I'm asking this around; Should we ask the administrators to have a moderator? Mikey and Effel have pretty much relinquished their function. So far, there as been no need for a mod, but maybe one of us (or a couple of us) should be Mod, just in case we need it.
                      From now until the end of September, I'll be chronicling in real time on Twitter the 1946 season of the International league's Montréal Royals, when Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier in professional baseball. Check it out: https://twitter.com/Royals_46season

Comment

Originally posted by Gjm130
                        I think I made my preference clear. Said they would win the SB before the season even started. As I do every year.
                        From now until the end of September, I'll be chronicling in real time on Twitter the 1946 season of the International league's Montréal Royals, when Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier in professional baseball. Check it out: https://twitter.com/Royals_46season

Comment

I pretty much agree with everything you say AG. I think this much discussion about the Habs only helps further the stereotype that montreal isn't a baseball town. And by discussing the Habs we lose all credibility when we go into the current events board trying to defend our town in the eyes of other baseball fans. I think a major events (such as Julien getting canned) can merrit some discussinon but not the game in game out stuff.

I think our little corner of BF is a special one. In a way we're a 'distinct society' to borrow a political term all quebeckers are familiar with. We're from a different country, we can all speake, read, write atleast 2 languages and of course we're the most recent fans to lose a team. I think we've handled ourselves well since the teams departure and we've been quite civil and democratic. Whoever our mod is (if we even bother to get one) should take into account the special situation we are in here. I think our good behaviour without a mod has earned us the right to bend the rules.

Comment

Originally posted by Augustin_"Gus"
                            Good work boys. Let's keep it going.
                            That wasn't so good. In all and all, a great season, but a really sucky ending.

Let's do better next year.

Maintenant c'est la saison des Carabins de l'Université de Montréal qui commence. Beaucoup de nos gros joueurs reviennent, on a un nouveau coach; cette fois-ci, c'est la bonne. J'ai vraiment hâte qu'on puisse sacrer ça dans la face des gens de Québec.

:gt
                            Last edited by Augustin_"Gus"; 01-22-2006, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Augustin_"Gus"
                              Maintenant c'est la saison des Carabins de l'Université de Montréal qui commence. Beaucoup de nos gros joueurs reviennent, on a un nouveau coach; cette fois-ci, c'est la bonne. J'ai vraiment hâte qu'on puisse sacrer ça dans la face des gens de Québec.

:gt
                              As-tu étudier a l'Universite de Monteal? Ou es-tu simplement passionant du football quebecois?

Comment

Guys C'mon!!!!
                                Please Talk English!!!
                                REMEMBER THE EXPOS

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X