No announcement yet.

Say no to baseball in Montréal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those guys that say "see no one cares anymore, the strike killed baseball in Canada" lurk in Toronto too, but they shut up this season after the Jays had supurb ratings. Clearly people still care... we like most American markets too want something competitive on the field and not some team that gets trampled on day in and day out.

Comment

Originally posted by Alomar93
      Those guys that say "see no one cares anymore, the strike killed baseball in Canada" lurk in Toronto too, but they shut up this season after the Jays had supurb ratings. Clearly people still care... we like most American markets too want something competitive on the field and not some team that gets trampled on day in and day out.

yea, look at kansas city or the devil rays.........
      LETS GO YANKEES!

Comment

Now I'm not living in Montreal anymore but I keep wondering, why are all these proposed teams being set up off of the island? Why not somewhere close to downtown? Wouldn't that be better for everyone? It doesnt have to right downtown but maybe some place like Verdun or heck even out in the east end near Olympic Stadium. Atleast get it near the Metro. I know if I were still living there, and a park was built somewhere on a Metro, I would probably stop by on a nice sunny day. When I lived there last year, I would take my radio, a blanket and head to the park lie out in the sun and listen to the Yankee game from a station in Vermont. It was enjoyable. If it were off the island, I would never go.
        Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

why not just put them in olympic stadium? if it is not being used that is - lol, it would be way to big for them, but they can tarp off a LOT of seats, (like all but most of the 1st level) that would be pretty cool, and a pretty cool feel for indipendent baseball. It would give them the edge on intiminating the away team
          LETS GO YANKEES!

Comment

The guys in Boisbriand are really serious. Read in the paper yesterday that they will get the stadium construction underway in april, this coming april, if everything goes according to plan. The team would start playing in 2008, and they will be named the Royals (les Royaux). Wich I think is a shame.

Les Royaux de Boisbriand. Makes little sense. They named the team "the Royals" beacuse of Mount-Royal. The lilnk between that municipality that isn't even on the island of Montréal and mount Royal isn't that obvious if you ask me.

And I say NO to baseball in or around Montréal. I havent changed my mind on this.
            From now until the end of September, I'll be chronicling in real time on Twitter the 1946 season of the International league's Montréal Royals, when Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier in professional baseball. Check it out: https://twitter.com/Royals_46season

Comment

Royals? people will think they are part of the KC Royals farm system.
              LETS GO YANKEES!

Comment

Actually, Royals is the historic name for baseball clubs in Montréal. Been in use from early in the 20th century until 1960. The Expos were, I believe, the first real professional baseball club in this city not to be named "The Royals", beacuse of the KC team of the same name.
                From now until the end of September, I'll be chronicling in real time on Twitter the 1946 season of the International league's Montréal Royals, when Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier in professional baseball. Check it out: https://twitter.com/Royals_46season

Comment

Originally posted by Augustin_"Gus"
                  Actually, Royals is the historic name for baseball clubs in Montréal. Been in use from early in the 20th century until 1960. The Expos were, I believe, the first real professional baseball club in this city not to be named "The Royals", beacuse of the KC team of the same name.
                  Why were they not named the Royals? I think that, historically, they had the rights to be named the Royals.

Comment

The KC Royals were already in the major leagues when Montréal was awarded a franchise. And MLB probably didn't want to follow the lead of the Canadian football league and have a couple of teams named the same.

But if the St-Louis Browns came to Montréal in 1954 instead of going to Baltimore as they came close to doing, you'd have to believe they would have been named the Royals. And history could have been different for the franchise. But we'll never know how that would have turned out, will we?

Comment

OK, I gave this Can-Am baseball in the Montréal metro area thing a lot of tought. And I'm ready to take a stand on the issue. I say NO. In a big way. We should laugh at the idea that the Montréal area would get a franchise in that dog and poney show of a league. The reason is simple.

Montréal is supposed to be an international city. We host major international gatherings of all kinds. We had the olympics. We have formula 1. All kinds of stuff. We like to consider ourselves as a major league city. And as far as baseball is concerned, two years ago , we competed with cities like New York, L.A. and Chicago. We went to the stadium to see the Barry Bonds, the Pedro Martinez's of this world in action. And now, we'll get all worked up when Sussex county or Brockton will come to town? We're gonna fill the stands to watch Dennis "Oil Can" Boyd and Eddie Lantigua? I don't think so.

That league is beneath us, plain and simple. You want to know how I know? It's a little statistical mesure I call "the St-Hyacinthe factor". St-Hyacinthe is a city of close to 80 000, located about an hour south east of Montréal. And St-Hyacinthe is big enough to have a Can-Am league team. If St-Hyacinthe is big enough, than it's beneath us. Heck, Québec (the city) is too big for that league. So Montréal is just way to big to have a franchise. We have no business in that circuit. Frankly, if we get a team in that league, it will be tough to argue with those who say Montréal isn't a major league city.

I don't believe we are starved for baseball to a point were we need pro ball, no matter the caliber. So I say to Mr Delage Roberge, Mr Griffin, Mr Poirier, all the others: Please, don't do that. Don't get a Can-Am league team for Montréal. How about St-Hyacinthe? It's a lovely place, and they've been waiting for a pro team for a long time.
                      So you rather have nothing? How snobby do you have to be?

Comment

Originally posted by BlueBird
                        Hey, hey. Take it easy friend.

Everyone has the right on his own opinion. Even though you don´t agree with it.

Calling each other names, it is not the way how we deal with each other overhere.

Please keep that in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueBird
                          Yes. I would rather have nothing at this time. That's the whole point of the thread. And it has nothing to do with being snobby and everything to do with realizing that you don't go from the Majors to Indie A-ball in three years. Makes no sense.

Now, Blue bird, if you have actual arguments in favor of having a low minor team in Montréal starting next year, i'd like to hear them. Maybe I could have a change of heart about this, who knows?

Comment

I understand the arguments against it, I just dont understand why someone wouldnt want at least some sort of baseball to be able to watch. Why you wouldnt want to go to the ballpark and watch a game. I'd take any ballteam here no matter what the conditions/history of baseball in the city.

Comment

Originally posted by EvanAparra
                              I understand the arguments against it, I just dont understand why someone wouldnt want at least some sort of baseball to be able to watch. Why you wouldnt want to go to the ballpark and watch a game. I'd take any ballteam here no matter what the conditions/history of baseball in the city.

For some reason, though it won't happen, if the Yankees left NY today, or the red sox left boston, and the next day and Indi league wants to replace them, would you like that?
                              LETS GO YANKEES!

Comment

Yes. I would rather have nothing at this time. That's the whole point of the thread. And it has nothing to do with being snobby and everything to do with realizing that you don't go from the Majors to Indie A-ball in three years. Makes no sense.

Now, Blue bird, if you have actual arguments in favor of having a low minor team in Montréal starting next year, i'd like to hear them. Maybe I could have a change of heart about this, who knows?

I tried giving you a change of heart but it didn't work

I have a question for BlueBird, did you read any of the posts other than the 1st? because I basicly already asked this question.
                                LETS GO YANKEES!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X