Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opening Day Trivia (still completely useless)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opening Day Trivia (still completely useless)

Baseball season is here again today even if we are starting our third season without “Nos Amours”. Let’s go down memory lane for a few moments. Here are some numbers and facts about Opening Day in Expos’ history.

Total record: 18-18
    Best sequence: 4 straight wins, 1981-1984.
    Worst sequence: 4 straight losses, 1985-1988.
    Home record: 3-3
    Away record: 15-15
    Shutouts: 3-3
    One run games: 9-6
    Most frequent opponents: Pittsburgh 7-2 (1-1 in Montreal and 6-1 in Pittsburgh), New York Mets 1-4 (0-1 in Montreal, 1-3 in New York), and Cincinnati 0-5 (all on the road).
    Most runs by Montreal: 11, April 8th 1969, Montreal 11 @ New York Mets 10
    Most runs by opponents: 11, April 6th 1987, Montreal 5 @ Cincinnati 11
    Most runs by two teams: 21, April 8th 1969, Montreal 11 @ New York Mets 10
    Fewest runs by two teams: 2, April 9th 1982, Montreal 2 @ Philadelphia 0 and
    April 6th 1992, Montreal 0 @ Pittsburgh 2
    Biggest blow out win: March 31st 2003, Montreal 10 @ Atlanta 2
    Biggest blow out loss: 6 runs, 3 times

Most frequent starters:
    Catcher – Gary Carter, 8 times
    First base – Andres Galarraga, 5
    Second base – Jose Vidro, 8
    Third base – Tim Wallach, 10
    Shortstop – Orlando Cabrera & Tim Foli, 6
    Left field – Tim Raines, 8
    Center field – Andre Dawson, 7
    Right field – Vladimir Guerrero, Ellis Valentine, & Larry Walker, 5
    Pitcher – Steve Rogers, 9.

If you guys feel like sharing memories of any Opening Day involving the Expos, please go ahead.
    Last edited by Chicoutimi CP; 04-06-2010, 08:13 PM.
    « But what's puzzlin' you is the nature of my game... »

Certainly one of the most memorable (but not in the good sense of the word) opening days in Expos history happened exactly 11 years and one day ago, April 1st, 1996, when home plate umpire John Patrick McSherry collapsed on the field, and subsequently died of a heart attack during the first inning of the season opener in Cincinnati. Rondell White was at the plate when it happened. The game was postponned to the next day.

It was broadcasted live by Radio-Canada I believe. I missed the game, it was an afternoon affair and I was in class. To tell you the truth, I'm not so sure I would have wanted to see it live.
    From now until the end of September, I'll be chronicling in real time on Twitter the 1946 season of the International league's Montréal Royals, when Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier in professional baseball. Check it out: https://twitter.com/Royals_46season

Comment

I was watching that game Gus, it wasn't pretty.

On another point. We can see by Chicoutimi's facts and figures that out of 36 opening days, only 6 were in Montreal. Thanks again for nothing, MLB.
      CBk Oldtimer #16 now #29

Comment

Originally posted by Monarchs29 View Post
        out of 36 opening days, only 6 were in Montreal.
        To go a little further on the subject, the first Opening Day in Montréal was in 1988. Others were in 1989, 1997, 1998, 2000, and 2002.

Actually, there might have been practical reasons for that :

1- It was too cold for baseball in early April and le Parc Jarry would never have been ready for baseball at that moment.

2- The Big O's roof was not completed before 1987, the year before the first Opening Day game took place in Montreal. So, even with a turf, conditions were still not the best to play in early April.

2- Look at the attendance figures for games in April and May for about the last 15 seasons of the team. Except for the very first game of the season, it would almost never reach 10,000. At this time of the year, people still have the Habs and hockey playoffs on their mind. So there were never long home stands scheduled in April or May. Crowds would begin to be decent only in June.

That's just my opinion , tho.

Claude
        Last edited by Chicoutimi CP; 04-05-2007, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chicoutimi CP View Post
          To go a little further on the subject, the first Opening Day in Montréal was in 1988. Others were in 1989, 1997, 1998, 2000, and 2002.

Actually, there might have been practical reasons for that :

1- It was too cold for baseball in early April and le Parc Jarry would never have been ready for baseball at that moment.

2- The Big O's roof was not completed before 1987, the year before the first Opening Day game took place in Montreal. So, even with a turf, conditions were still not the best to play in early April.

2- Look at the attendance figures for games in April and May for about the last 15 seasons of the team. Except for the very first game of the season, it would almost never reach 10,000. At this time of the year, people still have the Habs and hockey playoffs on their mind. So there were never long home stands scheduled in April or May. Crowds would begin to be decent only in June.

That's just my opinion , tho.

Claude

True, altough, considering how unpredictable the weather is in Montréal all trough April, I'm not really convinced getting an extra week to ten days, sometimes less, was really worth waiting a full 19 years before opening at home. Someone shoud have stepped up and said "you know what, Damn the torpedos. We're opening at home; if we're knee deep in snow, than so be it". And the weather sure can't explain the fact that, despite playing in a roofed stadium, the team opened on the road 8 straight years between 89 and 97.
          From now until the end of September, I'll be chronicling in real time on Twitter the 1946 season of the International league's Montréal Royals, when Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier in professional baseball. Check it out: https://twitter.com/Royals_46season

Comment

As a follow up to post no 1, here are a few more stats exclusively from Expos opening games:

* Most hits: Gary Carter 12 (Jose Vidro 11, Vladimir Guerrero 10.)
            * Most home runs: Gary Carter 5 (Vladimir Guerrero 3).
            * Most RBIs: Vladimir Guerrero 11 (Gary Carter 10).
            * Most hits in a game: Delino DeShields 4, 1990/04/09 @STL.
            * Most home runs in a game: Al Oliver 2, 1983/04/06 @CHC and Vladimir Guerrero 2, 2000/04/03 LAD.
            * Most RBIs in a game: Gary Carter 4, 1975/04/07 @STL; Vladimir Guerrero 4, 1999/04/05 @PIT; Vladimir Guerrero 4, 2000/04/03 LAD; Jeff Liefer 4, 2003/03/31 @ ATL (anyone remembers Jeff Liefer?)

* On the mound, there were 3 shutouts and 4 complete games over 36 opening games by Montreal pitchers. Two zeros belong to Steve Rogers and were complete games (1982/04/09 @PHI and 1983/04/06 @CHC), while Dennis Martinez, Barry Jones, and Scott Ruskin combined their efforts for the third SHO (1991/04/08 @PIT). The two other CGs were thrown by Bill Stoneman (1972/04/15 @STL) and Carl Morton (1971/04/06 @NYM, shortened 5-inning game).

* In relief, the two best performances might be the ones by Chuck Taylor (1974/04/10 @PIT) and Jackie Brown (1977/04/09 @PHI), who respectively went for 6 and 5 innings to win their games. Taylor’s win happened in the longest Expos opening game (13 innings).

* =====EDIT 2011====== Despite the fact that the team won 18 times, only four Expos relief pitchers saved a game on Opening Day: Carroll Sembera (1969/04/08 @NYM), Dale Murray (1975/04/07 @STL), Jeff Reardon (1984/04/03 @ HOU), and Ugueth Urbina (2001/04/02 @CHC).

*According to the Win Probability Added data, the highest leverage save happened in 1984 (1984/04/03 @ HOU). Jeff Reardon came up in the 8th with a 2 run lead, one out, runners on first and third. He then got two outs to finish the inning and took care of things in the 9th as the Expos defeated the Astros 4-2.==========

* Steve Rogers is the only pitcher with more than one win (2). He also had the most losses (4).

* Cy and Dennis Martinez respectively started 9 and 6 opening games. Rogers was 2-4 and 3.43 (57.2 innings), while El Presidente was 1-3 and 3.60 (39 innings). Jeff Fassero ranks third in games started with 3. He was 1-1 and 3.00 (15 innings).

* Best opening day attendance: 1993/04/05 @CIN 55,465. Worst: 1983/04/06 @CHC 4,802.

Source: Baseball-Reference.com Play Index.
            Last edited by Chicoutimi CP; 04-18-2011, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Augustin_"Gus" View Post
              True, altough, considering how unpredictable the weather is in Montréal all trough April, I'm not really convinced getting an extra week to ten days, sometimes less, was really worth waiting a full 19 years before opening at home. Someone shoud have stepped up and said "you know what, Damn the torpedos. We're opening at home; if we're knee deep in snow, than so be it". And the weather sure can't explain the fact that, despite playing in a roofed stadium, the team opened on the road 8 straight years between 89 and 97.
              If you can avoid the expense of heating a building like that beyond enough to keep the pipes unfrozen at the cost of opening on the road you probably do it.

For the record, Boston doesn't open on the road very often, although for some reason New York nearly always does.

I honestly think the next expansion of major league baseball is only a few years away and it's based largely on the fate of the Rays -- the league is making so much money that the only way to increase its footprint is to expand the league, and once its great problem expansion franchise in Tampa has had a winning season or two we'll probably see a serious rumbling towards expansion.

For the record every town that lost its last baseball team in a move got a new one in the next expansion except for Washington that had already lost 2 teams -- and we know that Washington got its extra chance anyway.
              Last edited by Imgran; 04-02-2008, 08:29 AM.

Comment

In today's post, the Baseball-Reference.com Blog mentions yesterday's poor performances by C.C. Sabatthia and Josh Beckett. Turns out it was the 18th time, from 1920-2010, that both starting pitcher on their teams's opening day game threw at most 5.1 innings and yielded at least 5 earned runs. The connection with the Expos is that they were involved in one of the first 17 games. It happened 23 years ago almost to this day. Notice the great effort by Floyd Youmans , in what seems to be the worst start on opening day by an Expos pitcher in the 36 years history of the team.
                Last edited by Chicoutimi CP; 02-20-2011, 02:51 AM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X