Ron LeFlore in trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ron LeFlore in trouble

Is it just me or have we been doing a lot of this lately? Another Expo getting in trouble.

Ex-Tigers (and ex-Expo) player LeFlore jailed over child support
    May 7, 2007

BY BEN SCHMITT

FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

(Editor's note: This story has been updated -- 5:20 p.m.)

Ron LeFlore's journey took him from prison in the 1970s to Major League Baseball, where he became an All Star with the Detroit Tigers.

Today, he went back behind bars at age 58 for $73,000 in unpaid child support.

Acting on a tip from LeFlore's ex-girlfriend, Wayne County sheriff's deputies arrested LeFlore, of Clearwater, Fla., Saturday on a civil warrant while he signed $4 autographs at the Gibraltar Trade Center in Mt. Clemens.

On Monday, Wayne County Circuit Court Judge Megan Maher Brennan ordered LeFlore to pay $12,000 to the mother of his daughter or serve 45 days in the Wayne County Jail.

LeFlore told Brennan that he is married, and in the process of filing for disability with his job with the city of Clearwater.

Shelly Payne, senior staff attorney of the Wayne County Friend of the Court, told Brennan that all of LeFlore's assets are in his wife's name.

"If he had any local assets, I'd be jumping all over them," she said.

The mother of his daughter, Deborah Lewis, 58, of Detroit, said she grew up with LeFlore, and they became involved, eventually having a daughter, Laronda LeFlore-Hall, who is now 31. LeFlore-Hall did not attend the hearing.

"I wasn't some sort of athlete chaser. I was his girlfriend and common-law wife,'' Lewis told the Free Press after the hearing in downtown Detroit. "It's about time somebody did something because it's just been too long.''

LeFlore played for the Tigers in the 1970s, after being discovered while in prison playing semi-pro baseball by former manager Billy Martin.

His life story about his rise from a prison in Jackson to the major leagues became a book and in 1978, a movie: "One in a Million: The Ron LeFlore Story,'' with LeVar Burton playing LeFlore.

Lewis' attorney Beverly Clark said she had taken LeFlore to court at least two other times but was unable to make a dent in the child support bill. The last payment LeFlore made to Lewis was for $61 in February 2002.
    Last edited by Augustin_"Gus"; 05-09-2007, 08:12 PM.
    From now until the end of September, I'll be chronicling in real time on Twitter the 1946 season of the International league's Montréal Royals, when Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier in professional baseball. Check it out: https://twitter.com/Royals_46season

Ron's been in this predicament for years.
    He doesn't seem to give it a very high priority.
    If you want to play, you have to pay.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X