Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PVNICK
    replied
    I hope I am not violating any copyright laws by doing this but Philliesfiend posted this in the Living Expos thread yesterday. I thought it would fit here as well.

"Bob Bailey, who passed away in early January 2018 at age 75 was a Pittsburgh Pirates' bonus baby, but he paid his best dividends to other teams, particularly the Expos. he was an Expo between their expansion year of 1969 and 1975. Defensively, he was an above average third baseman, Three years stood out for Bailey, offensively. 1970: 28 HR, 84 RBI, .287 b. avg.; 1973: 26 HR, 86 RBI, .273 b. avg; 1974: 20 HR, 73 RBI, ..280 b.avg. overall he was a big leaguer for 17 years 1962 to 1978, debuting a month before his 20th birthday. In his final year he only played 43 games for the '78 Boston Red Sox and contributed poorly with just 4 HR and 8 RBI, with a .191 b. avg. on a team that could have used more solid production off the bench in their year-long battle wih the Yankees for the A.L. East crown. His 17 seasons, 1931 games played, 1.564 hits, 189 home runs and .257 batting average mark him as an a solid, if not spectacular contributor to 1960s and 1970s teams. Bailey played for the Pirates, dodgers, Expos, Reds, and Red sox (in that order) and he was a strong contributor off the bench to the 1976 World's Championship Cincinnati Reds team where he hit .298 in a limited role (69 games, 124 at bats)."

Leave a comment:

• Chicoutimi CP
    replied
    Like a lot of people, Bailey was one of my favorite players during the early years. He has said on record (http://sabr.org/bioproj/person/b5992b7d) that the greatest thing that ever happened to him was the four standing ovations the Jarry Park crowd gave him on July 3, 1973, when he was 4 for 6, and hit 2 home runs, 7 runs batted in in a 19-8 win against the New York Mets.

Sadly, according to a query I made with the Sean Lahman’s database, Bailey became the 42nd former Expos player who passed away. Carl Morton had been the first one on April 12, 1983, at the age of only 39 after a heart attack.
    Last edited by Chicoutimi CP; 04-11-2018, 11:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Calif_Eagle
    started a topic Bob Bailey

Bob Bailey

Per Baseball Ref.com Bob Bailey has passed away on 1-9-18.

Bailey played for several teams but had his best seasons and greatest success with the Montreal Expos.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...ailebo01.shtml

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X