One Year on: Where are you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Year on: Where are you?

So we've now had a whole year to digest the loss of our team. I'm curious as to what everyones interntions are for the upcoming season.

Can you see yourself rooting for another team with any interest? Are you going to just pack it in and flip the bird to MLB?

Gus, I remember you saying that you were going to hop on the St. Louis Cardinals bandwagon. How's that working out? Is it still working out?

As for myself, 2005 was a year of greif and experimentation. I didnt really follow one team in particular, but I tried to watch baseball on a daily basis. The 2 teams I followed the closest was the Cubs and Yankees. All that said, last season there were long stretches where I wouldn't watch a single game. Sometimes it lasted a month. It was tough to feel any emotion but sadness.

This year I'm resolved to make a run with the Yankees. It's either the Yankees or I'm done with MLB. I feel deep shame in cheering for the Yankees, because I hated them with such a passion and their free-spending ways did have a hand in destroying our franchise. But they have a great radio duo, which comes in clearly here in Montreal and even in my home in Ontario.

I really don't know how any of this is going to play out. I'm hoping I've had enough time to mourn the Expos that I can atleast follow another team on a daily basis. The Yanks will never be the Expos but atleast they can help ge get through those hot summer nights.
    Last edited by Ontarioguy; 02-21-2006, 09:48 PM.
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

I didn't work. I started the year paying special attention to the Cards, posted a couple of messages on their board, but I was kidding myself. It was still too early. And I don't necessarily plan to follow them very closely this season either, altough stranger things have happened. I was disapointed by them last year. They had their backs to the wall, but that Pujols HR in Houston is the kind of shot that should have been a momentum changer. It was such a big hit, in every sense of the term, they should have been able to ride the wave into the next games, and make a series out of it. But they showed no carachter wathsoever and fell flat on their faces the next day. That was pretty awful.

Tony Larussa is baseball's version of Jacques Martin. Great in the regular season, but come playoff time, their clubs seem to lack the necessary passion to get to where you need to go.

Anyway, I don't believe I'll jump on their wagons, short/medium term. I'll watch de WBC, and after that...

I'll watch random games on Sportsnet the way I did last year. But at this point, I don't care much for anyone. Even here on the fever, I visit this board, and that's pretty much it. Even tough right now I'm working on causing a stirr on the CE, I havent posted there in quite a while.

I'M not even quite sure I'll play the full season with the Expos on the PS2 like I did the last two years. Right now, my writing projects are taking a lot of my time, and are very consuming in many ways. Maybe that's why I don't feel passionate about baseball. I didn't even pay that much attention to the Olympics so far, compared to what I usually do. Perhaps as I move along, and with spring coming, baseball will come back to me, we'll see.
    From now until the end of September, I'll be chronicling in real time on Twitter the 1946 season of the International league's Montréal Royals, when Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier in professional baseball. Check it out: https://twitter.com/Royals_46season

Comment

Nationals all the way!
      Cristobal

Comment

I pretty much followed the Nats last season. I suppose it was mainly because of Wilks, Livan, Schneider and Vidro. When they got on top of the NLE early and stayed there, it drew me a little more. Then the fade/shoke started. Vidro got injured(again) as did a few others. And I kind of started looking the other way.

This season, or should I say this off season, Bowden didn't do a lot to, IMO, improve the team. More of a sideways move, bringing in maybe's, could be's, and never were's. He's got enough middle-infielders to stock 7-8 teams, and only 1 or 2 of them, outside Vidro and Soriano, might be good enough to get a career out of it as star players. It seems to me that Bowden is out to rid the team of any and all Expos.

I'm still in a "wait-and-see" mode as far as the 2006 season is concerned. Right now, I'm reading as much as I can get on other teams and may decide to follow someone else for a change. Or, I may just decide to jump on some teams bandwagon, just because...

Anyway, after following one team for all these years, it's hard to switch sides all of a sudden.
        CBk Oldtimer #16 now #29

Comment

Originally posted by Monarchs29
          I pretty much followed the Nats last season. I suppose it was mainly because of Wilks, Livan, Schneider and Vidro. When they got on top of the NLE early and stayed there, it drew me a little more. Then the fade/shoke started. Vidro got injured(again) as did a few others. And I kind of started looking the other way.

This season, or should I say this off season, Bowden didn't do a lot to, IMO, improve the team. More of a sideways move, bringing in maybe's, could be's, and never were's. He's got enough middle-infielders to stock 7-8 teams, and only 1 or 2 of them, outside Vidro and Soriano, might be good enough to get a career out of it as star players. It seems to me that Bowden is out to rid the team of any and all Expos.

I'm still in a "wait-and-see" mode as far as the 2006 season is concerned. Right now, I'm reading as much as I can get on other teams and may decide to follow someone else for a change. Or, I may just decide to jump on some teams bandwagon, just because...

Anyway, after following one team for all these years, it's hard to switch sides all of a sudden.
          Bowden is a horrible GM.
          He makes senseless moves:

Zach Day (who I consider promising) for Preston Wilson!!!! (WILSON!!) sucked!
          He was with us for half the season and he struck out as much as Wilky () And he thinks he's worth 12.5 mill.:grouchy Go figure
          Cristobal

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X