Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Montreal ever wants another MLB team...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Montreal ever wants another MLB team...

...there are some requirements that need to be met.

1. Build a new stadium - obviously the first thing on the list, Olympic Stadium is not a good place to play baseball.
    2. The city of Montreal MUST be willing to have a retractable roof - Montreal had a thing against retractable roofs because the Big O's failed to work. But a retractable roof is a must in Montreal especially because of the weather in the early and late parts of baseball season. And by having it retractable, the new team can play outdoor baseball - and still not have any weather-related postponements at home.
    3. The new stadium must be designed by HOK - it's gotta be HOK or fans won't come. HOK is the lead authority on new ballparks. It should have elements of the retro park, and elements unique to Montreal.
    4. Once they start to gel as a team, they must be very good - people aren't gonna want to see a losing team year after year. But by playing in a new stadium, the new team may be willing to win more.
    5. Fans must come as to ensure mostly sell-outs or near sell-outs - This was hard in the Big O because it was not a good facility for baseball. But in this new park it would be much easier.

And above all...
    6. The team MUST and I mean MUST be called the Expos - It's already a familiar name in Montreal, and choosing a new name would be pointless IMO. Acquiring the 1969-2004 history from the Nationals is optional (though the Twins did keep the original Sens' history when the expansion Sens began play).

So, that's my lists of musts if Montreal wants back in MLB. Discuss what you think Montreal must do.
    The playoffs should expand eventually, but only if MLB itself expands.

See my blog for more info.

MLB relocating to Montreal just a dream?

One thing that often gets forgotten in the numerous descriptions on the death throes of the Expos in the mid to late '90s is that the Canadian dollar was pretty well upside down during most of the period, and collecting revenue in undervalued Canadian dollars while paying salaries in full pop American ones obviously didn't help.

While all the factors you mention are important, supporting a team in Montreal with a dollar near par is a lot more feasible than it was in the '90s.

Comment

True enough, but the new stadium is a must. The only one on the list, I'd venture. That's been the price of admission since the 1950s, and it continues today.

I'm not so sold on retaining the old name as a must. I'll defer to those with actual first-hand experience, but the few Montreal baseball fans I know look at the name as radioactive. Might be better to make a fresh start.

Comment

Originally posted by six4three View Post
        True enough, but the new stadium is a must. The only one on the list, I'd venture. That's been the price of admission since the 1950s, and it continues today.

I'm not so sold on retaining the old name as a must. I'll defer to those with actual first-hand experience, but the few Montreal baseball fans I know look at the name as radioactive. Might be better to make a fresh start.
        They resurected the Alouettes name for the CFL team that folded. The Senators resurected their name, same with Milwaukee Brewers and Baltimore Orioles

Comment

Thing is I'm not sure the Washington Nationals don't still have some "sticky fingers" on Montreal Expos logo, name, etc. Sort of like the KC A's except the A's kept their team identity while the Expos discarded theirs. They might still have the rights to that stuff.

And even if not , is there any possible way that a new Expos team could come into being without tendrils of Jeff Loria clinging to it like parasitic growths?

Point being, a fresh start with a new name might not be such a bad thing. What a pity "Royals" is taken, I understand it would be a perfect name for Montreal.

Comment

Originally posted by Imgran View Post
            Thing is I'm not sure the Washington Nationals don't still have some "sticky fingers" on Montreal Expos logo, name, etc. Sort of like the KC A's except the A's kept their team identity while the Expos discarded theirs. They might still have the rights to that stuff.

And even if not , is there any possible way that a new Expos team could come into being without tendrils of Jeff Loria clinging to it like parasitic growths?

Point being, a fresh start with a new name might not be such a bad thing. What a pity "Royals" is taken, I understand it would be a perfect name for Montreal.
            It would be similar to the Senators. Washington may own the name but I don't see why they wouldn't hand it over if Montreal wanted to use it again, especially in light of the fact that the current Nats owners have no connections to Montreal.

Comment

Originally posted by aqib View Post
              It would be similar to the Senators. Washington may own the name but I don't see why they wouldn't hand it over if Montreal wanted to use it again, especially in light of the fact that the current Nats owners have no connections to Montreal.
              It's a different situation, since unlike the early Senators franchise, there remains a clear owner of the Expos trademark, which continues to generate revenue. If a new team wanted to use the trademark, it would have to buy the rights from the Washington franchise.

Comment

Originally posted by tinseltown View Post
                It's a different situation, since unlike the early Senators franchise, there remains a clear owner of the Expos trademark, which continues to generate revenue. If a new team wanted to use the trademark, it would have to buy the rights from the Washington franchise.
                Well I wonder if the Expos trademark etc was sold with the Nationals or if MLB kept it. Even if the Nationals own it, since they don't use it in anyway (no retired numbers etc.) they would probably hand it over for little or nothing if there was ever going to be a team in Montreal again.

Comment

I would expect that the situation would be identical to that of the Nationals - after all, they were able to get the Senators cap logo.

Comment

Originally posted by aqib View Post
                    Well I wonder if the Expos trademark etc was sold with the Nationals or if MLB kept it. Even if the Nationals own it, since they don't use it in anyway (no retired numbers etc.) they would probably hand it over for little or nothing if there was ever going to be a team in Montreal again.
                    Though speculation about it is moot until someone actually wants to purchase the name and logo, in general, businesses don't give away assets for nothing. Plus Expos merchandise continues to be sold in Montreal and Canada, a revenue stream that would have to be compensated for.

Comment

Originally posted by tinseltown View Post
                      Though speculation about it is moot until someone actually wants to purchase the name and logo, in general, businesses don't give away assets for nothing. Plus Expos merchandise continues to be sold in Montreal and Canada, a revenue stream that would have to be compensated for.
                      Well everything is speculation until somehow MLB decides to put a team in Montreal again, which I doubt they will do anytime soon.

As for who owns the name and logos, remember there were two steps to the deal. MLB bought the team from Loria and then sold them to the DC group. MLB may have held onto the rights so that they can keep all the revenues from merchandise sales.

Comment

Some intersting discussions. However, as wonderful as it would be to see Montreal return to MLB, I doubt it would happen any time soon. Not enough homework was done the first time around for the Expos. The city wasn't ready for anything other than hockey, and may never be. Even their own Canadian Football teams folded twice. I agree that a new park would help, but why would they spend that kind of cash to have 9,000 people watch the games?
                        My heart broke the day the Expos left, and I don't have what it takes to cheer for the Nationals. Maybe the Expos will return someday. Hopefully it won't take 30 years to get another team. Maybe the Marlins will move North. On second thought...
                        sigpic
                        Washington? Good Grief!

Comment

If the Marlins moved north, I think Montreal fans would support them better than people in Florida do.

Comment

I know that Quebec City still owns the Quebec 'Noriques' name and all the rights to the Nordiques logo and uniforms. Does anyone know if the City of Montreal has similar rights to the Expos logo and name? Could make things interesting...
                            "I don't like the record. You can have it." - Andres Galarraga after being hit by a pitch for the 21st time, an Atlanta Braves record. :bowdown:

Comment

Originally posted by 108stitches View Post
                              Even their own Canadian Football teams folded twice.
                              Actually, our football team folded just once. The team changed name in the 80's, but it was still the same club. Then they went back to the Alouettes, and folded in 87, before coming back to life in 96. In the interim, we had a team in the World league of American football wich was a pretty good draw despite the fact that they werent very good. the team ceased operations when the league closed up shop in North America to focus solely on their europeen activities.
                              From now until the end of September, I'll be chronicling in real time on Twitter the 1946 season of the International league's Montréal Royals, when Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier in professional baseball. Check it out: https://twitter.com/Royals_46season

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X