Favorite Jarry Park memories ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Jarry Park memories ...

I miss the Expos' and Jarry Park specifically. Thought that it would be fun to share some of the memories and hear everyone else's thoughts...

These are in no specific order !
    ------------

1. April 14, 1969 - Opening Day
    2. Willie McCovey hitting the top of the black wall in centerfield
    3. Catching a foulball of of Maury Wills
    4. The fans banging their feet on the tin cans that the Expos' called stands
    5. Watching Bob Bailey throw underhand (his typical style) to first base
    6. Sitting in the sun and watching the halter tops come into the ballpark
    7. O'Keefe beer at the ball park
    8. Le Goblet for pigs knuckles before the game
    9. Seeing all of the old-time baseball fans enjoying the game in it's true element
    10. Carl Morton in 1970
    11. Gary Carter the adventure in left field
    12. Ron Hunt getting hit more times than a pinata and never rubbing it
    13. John Bocabelllllllllllla
    14. Seeing those crazy uniforms for the first time at the ball park
    15. Le Grande Orange and the fever that the fans in Quebec showed for him
    16. Walking on a sea of peanut shells and crunching them on the metal stands
    17. Claude Mouton
    18. Cooocooo Laboy
    19. The party atmosphere
    20. The raving and frustration of Gene Mauch
    21. The TRADE - Rusty Staub for Mike Singleton, Mike Jorgenson and Tim Foli
    22. The Dancer
    23. The workhorse - Bill Stoneman
    24. The screwball - Mike Marshall (with his screwball and kinesiology)
    25. My youth invested in the love of baseball and the Montreal Expos
    Last edited by Homestead Gray; 12-24-2008, 11:45 PM.
    "The designated hitter rule is like letting someone else take Wilt Chamberlain's free throws." - Rick Wise (1974)

I never went to Jarry Park (lived in Vancouver at the time), but watching them on CBC with Dave Van Horne and Duke Snider live from JP, gave me a passion for baseball and the Expos. Question, you refer to the "tin can stands", are you referring to the left field bleachers, or the additional stands that were built down
    the 1st and 3rd baselines as additions to the original structure? I always assumed they were all concrete?

Comment

Originally posted by Brad MCdonald View Post
      I never went to Jarry Park (lived in Vancouver at the time), but watching them on CBC with Dave Van Horne and Duke Snider live from JP, gave me a passion for baseball and the Expos. Question, you refer to the "tin can stands", are you referring to the left field bleachers, or the additional stands that were built down
      the 1st and 3rd baselines as additions to the original structure? I always assumed they were all concrete?
      The stands were all metal and when the fans banged their feet it was loud and amazing. No concrete at Jarry. Sorry you missed it. It was a great place to watch a ballgame
      "The designated hitter rule is like letting someone else take Wilt Chamberlain's free throws." - Rick Wise (1974)

Comment

Wow, that is quite a collection of memories, Homestead gray. Have any idea how many games you went to? How did you feel at the time about moving out of Jarry and into Olympic stadium?
        From now until the end of September, I'll be chronicling in real time on Twitter the 1946 season of the International league's Montréal Royals, when Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier in professional baseball. Check it out: https://twitter.com/Royals_46season

Comment

Originally posted by Augustin_"Gus" View Post
          Wow, that is quite a collection of memories, Homestead gray. Have any idea how many games you went to? How did you feel at the time about moving out of Jarry and into Olympic stadium?
          I attended about 10 - 15 games per year until about 1975 and then went to about 30 - 40 games per year.

I attended every home opener at Jarry and Olympic with the exception of 1979 (being away almost killed me).

At the time the move to Olympic Stadium seemed to be the logical move. It made the Expos a real baseball team with a modern stadium but I missed the sunshine and family atmosphere at Jarry. Olympic Stadium was cold and impersonal. It would have been wonderful if they had built a stadium similar to Camden Yards in Baltimore but that was not the mode of the day.

I did see an interview with Bill Lee who had propsed a ballpark in the Camden Yard vein just below the Bell Centre and in front of the old Dow brewery. Lee indicated that he even took some publicity shots throwing out the first pitch on the spot that the stadium was to be built. I believe that a downtown venue would have saved the team but by this time Brochu, Loria and Samson (with a little help from Selig) had destroyed the franchise.

Miss the Expos ...

How about you. did you see many games at Jarry?
          Last edited by Homestead Gray; 12-30-2008, 05:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Homestead Gray View Post

How about you. did you see many games at Jarry?
            I wish I had... Had it not been for the fact that I wasn't born until 1977, I'm sure I would have been to a couple Expos games...

My favorite Jarry Park memory, I guess, would be watching Boris Becker play there when I was 7 or 8. He was so gigantic, I couldn't believe how tall he was.
            From now until the end of September, I'll be chronicling in real time on Twitter the 1946 season of the International league's Montréal Royals, when Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier in professional baseball. Check it out: https://twitter.com/Royals_46season

Comment

Originally posted by Augustin_"Gus" View Post
              I wish I had... Had it not been for the fact that I wasn't born until 1977, I'm sure I would have been to a couple Expos games...

My favorite Jarry Park memory, I guess, would be watching Boris Becker play there when I was 7 or 8. He was so gigantic, I couldn't believe how tall he was.
              Too bad it was a great place to see ball but it also became a strong tennis venue as well. You can't beat watching sports in the sunshine even if it is raining. It is just part of the experience.

Comment

Love hearing the memories!

Pig knuckles, though? You can keep them

Comment

Right now, the MLB network is showing a game from Jarry Park from September, 1970.

Comment

Originally posted by Homestead Gray View Post
                    I miss the Expos' and Jarry Park specifically. Thought that it would be fun to share some of the memories and hear everyone else's thoughts...

These are in no specific order !
                    ------------

1. April 14, 1969 - Opening Day
                    2. Willie McCovey hitting the top of the black wall in centerfield
                    3. Catching a foulball of of Maury Wills
                    4. The fans banging their feet on the tin cans that the Expos' called stands
                    5. Watching Bob Bailey throw underhand (his typical style) to first base
                    6. Sitting in the sun and watching the halter tops come into the ballpark
                    7. O'Keefe beer at the ball park
                    8. Le Goblet for pigs knuckles before the game
                    9. Seeing all of the old-time baseball fans enjoying the game in it's true element
                    10. Carl Morton in 1970
                    11. Gary Carter the adventure in left field
                    12. Ron Hunt getting hit more times than a pinata and never rubbing it
                    13. John Bocabelllllllllllla
                    14. Seeing those crazy uniforms for the first time at the ball park
                    15. Le Grande Orange and the fever that the fans in Quebec showed for him
                    16. Walking on a sea of peanut shells and crunching them on the metal stands
                    17. Claude Mouton
                    18. Cooocooo Laboy
                    19. The party atmosphere
                    20. The raving and frustration of Gene Mauch
                    21. The TRADE - Rusty Staub for Mike Singleton, Mike Jorgenson and Tim Foli
                    22. The Dancer
                    23. The workhorse - Bill Stoneman
                    24. The screwball - Mike Marshall (with his screwball and kinesiology)
                    25. My youth invested in the love of baseball and the Montreal Expos

26. (A nod to #13 above) Bi-Lingual intros by Claude Mouton: "Le Receiveur, numero douze; the catcher, number twelve, Johhhn Bocccccaaabellllllla!"

27. Hearing the Star Spangled Banner and then O Canada! played by Fernand Lapierre and sung with equal fervor by the Jarry crowd.

28. The scoreboard with its funny animations: I remember one in particular where a cartoon ballplayer kicks a "zero" around until it lands at the top half of the inning on the linescore below after the Expos had retired the side.

29. Les Expos Sont La! Lapierre playing the Expos theme song and his wry musical commentaries throughout the game (a lengthy interview conducted during a Mets/Expos game at Jarry is archived on the CBC site).

Dennis
                    BrooklynDodger14

Comment

Great addition to the list. It brought back additional memories to me. Sure missed those days !

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X