New book about the Expos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New book about the Expos

I've learned from reliable sources that Jacques Doucet, voice of the Expos, along with author Marc Robitaille, who penned among others "Un été sans point ni coup sur" wich was made into a movie last summer, are working at a new book on the history of our Expos. The plan is to write a comprehensive history, a book intended for the die-hard, that goes into detail about each season of the club. They're not looking to appeal to the masses. They want something for people like me, or you perhaps since you're on a Expos board on the Internet right now reading this.

I got the chance to read a first draft and I have to say that I enjoyed it quite a bit. Volume I (from 1968 to 1984) is bound to hit the bookshelves this fall. Volume II (84-2004) should come out in 2010. I don't know if there will be a english version. But that is definately something Expos fans should look out for.

How do I know that? I guess you could say that I did some reaserch for said book. And that I got to chat with the editor. It was a nice trip down nostalgia lane, getting to leaf trhu pages after pages of stuff written about the Expos in the papers. I had a good time.

Speaking of wich, I wont steal the author's thunder, obviously. But I'd like to share with you a few things I discovered while reaserching. As you probably know, Mayor Jean Drapeau threw the inaugural pitch of the Expos' history in New York, but Québec Prime minister Jean-Jacques Bertand threw the first pitch at home. And Mayor Drapeau was asked to throw the ceremonial pitch at Jarry, but deferred to PM Bertrand. When asked why, his answer, as quoted in an article by Ted Blackman in the Montreal Gazette in 81, I tought was amusing:"I've been booed at Molson Stadium, i've been booed at the Forum, I've been booed at the Autostade. I'm not going to be booed at Jarry Park too".

Premier Bertand threw the first pitch, to a cascade of boos...
    Last edited by Augustin_"Gus"; 02-11-2009, 08:11 PM.
    From now until the end of September, I'll be chronicling in real time on Twitter the 1946 season of the International league's Montréal Royals, when Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier in professional baseball. Check it out: https://twitter.com/Royals_46season

I cant wait!

Comment

Originally posted by bambambaseball View Post
      I cant wait!
      Likewise. This is excellent news.

Has Doucet written anything before?
      Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
      Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
      Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
      Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
      Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

He wrote for La Presse until 1971 when he stepped into the booth. But I don't believe he's written any books.
        From now until the end of September, I'll be chronicling in real time on Twitter the 1946 season of the International league's Montréal Royals, when Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier in professional baseball. Check it out: https://twitter.com/Royals_46season

Comment

Wow That is great news. Keep us posted, AG!
          Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X