Who were the Expos' biggest rivals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who were the Expos' biggest rivals?

I'm wondering if any former Expos fans could tell me who they considered the team's biggest rivals. I'm guessing the Phillies because they played memorable series in 1980, 1981, 1993, and 2003, although I could be wrong.

I'd say the strike which kept them from the post season in 1994.

Comment

I think that was part of the downfall of the Expos. They didn't really have a big National League rival. None of the natural municipal rivals of Montreal had NL teams. Sure, New York, but everyone hates New York, that didn't exactly set the Expos apart very much. And Philly was Montreal's rival like Boston and Anaheim are rivals -- accidents of the playoffs and crucial season games more than any real, historical enmity.

When baseball expands back into Montreal it needs an American League team. A natural rivalry already exists with Boston and Montreal thanks to Habs-Bruins. AN American League Montreal franchise would also allow a direct Toronto-Montreal rivalry. Both would help keep the franchise afloat better than the National League team did, and if the rivalry is successfully established it should help keep someone from moving out of Montreal again.

Comment

Originally posted by Imgran View Post
        I think that was part of the downfall of the Expos. They didn't really have a big National League rival.
        I've heard this said before, but I'm not sure the attendance numbers bear it out. As I've posted before, during the Olympic Stadium years, the Expos outdrew the Mets in ten seasons. They had reasonable attendance numbers up to 1997 (when the second wave of departing stars killed fan loyalty). Of course, since then, attendance in MLB has zoomed upwards, and to keep pace with respect to stadium revenue, any new franchise in Montreal would have to find a way to draw additional fans.

Olympic stadium attendance numbers: http://baseball-fever.com/showthread...98#post1164998

Comment

Oh yeah, I know a team doesn't last in a town for 40 years unless a town can support them and people really overplay that angle of why Montreal no longer hosts the Expos.

I happen to think that at the very least, if they'df had a strong, deep network of intense rivalries it would have been much harder to justify leaving Montreal for the same reason Walter O'Malley had to take the Giants with him to California for HIS move to make sense.

I also think that given the current division structure, the AL East would give Montreal that network, with a French-English Canadian rivalry with Toronto, and an extension of the NHL rivalry with Boston, as places to start in building those rivalries.

(and the fact that Yankee and Sox fans in particular tend to take over road team stadiums would probably help attendance figures. )

Of course right now the Expos' biggest rivals are the Marlins -- for Team Most Screwed Over By Jeff Loria.
          Last edited by Imgran; 03-21-2009, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Charlie View Post
            I'm wondering if any former Expos fans could tell me who they considered the team's biggest rivals. I'm guessing the Phillies because they played memorable series in 1980, 1981, 1993, and 2003, although I could be wrong.
            The Canadiens
            sigpic
            LETS GO METS !!!

Comment

Originally posted by JerseeJerry55 View Post
              The Canadiens
              The remarkable surge in popularity the Canadiens have enjoyed since the Expos left, despite the fact that the Habs have stunk very badly the last 15 years, tells you that not only were the Canadiens rivals of the Expos, but the Expos were also rivals of the Canadiens.
              From now until the end of September, I'll be chronicling in real time on Twitter the 1946 season of the International league's Montréal Royals, when Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier in professional baseball. Check it out: https://twitter.com/Royals_46season

Comment

I couldn't stand the Braves. They used to drive me crazy.

Now I find myself looking forward to their games on PeachtreeTV.

Does this make me a bad Expo Fan?
                Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Yes it does.
                  The Montreal Expos Forever!!

Comment

Comment

The Expos had a lot of bad days/months/years before leaving, but I don't believe they ever gone as low as the Nattis are right now. That's downright embarrassing.
                      From now until the end of September, I'll be chronicling in real time on Twitter the 1946 season of the International league's Montréal Royals, when Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier in professional baseball. Check it out: https://twitter.com/Royals_46season

Comment

Sure, New York, but everyone hates New York, that didn't exactly set the Expos apart very much.
                        But then again, the Mets were the first, and the last opponents the Montreal Expos ever faced.

Not to mention several key deals between the two clubs with varying results for each team:

Staub for Singelton
                        Valentine for Reardon
                        Carter for Brooks
                        Burke for Darling
                        etc
                        NY Sports Day Independent Gotham Sports Coverage
                        Mets360 Mets Past, Present and Future
                        Talking Mets Baseball. A baseball blog with a Mets bias

Comment

Originally posted by SteveJRogers View Post
                          But then again, the Mets were the first, and the last opponents the Montreal Expos ever faced.

Not to mention several key deals between the two clubs with varying results for each team:

Staub for Singelton
                          Valentine for Reardon
                          Carter for Brooks
                          Burke for Darling
                          etc
                          The Mets and Expos had several brawls in the 70's.

One that I witnessed was between Expos catcher Ron Brand and Mets backstop Jerry Grote when Grote was behind the plate. Grote had the "scrappy" rep and both he and Brand were products of the Houston Colt 45s/Astro organization.

Expo 2nd. baseman Ron Hunt always got a big hand at Shea from fans who remembered him as one of the first Mets to be competent.

I remember Lindsay Nelson of WOR-9 lamenting the loss of Steve Renko.

Don Hahn and Don Shaw also played for both teams.

I always liked the Expos!

Comment

Is no one an option?

The expos were neither lousy enough to enjoin sympathy or disgust (if your team lost to them) nor good enough to bring elation if your team beat them. The were quite simply a nondescript franchise who wore funny uniforms and played in a brand new obsolete stadium. The expos (and this is probably the nicest thing you can say about them) never were so bad nor truly exceptional. They were the Chrysler reliant K Car...utterly forgettable. It's hard to "rival" that.
                            Last edited by MSUlaxer27; 03-23-2011, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Unfortunately, I agree. And the other problem was that in that division they had no teams for whom there was a reason outside baseball to be interested in playing them. Which for a perennial middle-of-the-packer is a bit of a death knell.

One thing about many of the old rivalries that thrive in real baseball is that there's a reason besides baseball itself to sustain them and make them interesting. Example: Boston and New York are rivals in the financial and business sector, and a traditional competitiveness has always existed between New England yankees and the New York flavor. It makes it easy to want to watch your team win games against that team and more of a suckerpunch when you lose at the last minute.

Now if Montreal had been in the American League, that would have existed, rivalries certainly exist between Montreal and Toronto for reasons outside baseball, and ditto for Boston. Getting up for a baseball rematch with Montreal when the Habs clean Boston's clock would have been interesting, pity it didn't happen.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X