No announcement yet.

Expos minor league teams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great logo Dennis. Thanks for posting it!

Comment

http://www.baseball-fever.com/attach...1&d=1157859231

You're very welcome!

I purchased a complete (!) Carnavale home uniform (ca. 1973) from eBay last year.

Here is the (poor, sorry) scan of the team picture with a better-grade close up one particular HOF alumnus. Can anyone (perhaps Ex-Expo) ID the surrounding Carnivales?

The memorabilia source is a Montreal store named Lucille Favreau Antiques.

They specialize in many great Expo items including some of the great Denis Brodeur action photos seen in the "Name the Expo" thread..

I'd love to recreate the Carnivale hat to complete the uni set. Do they sell anywhere blank (non-logo) Expo-style tri-color hats anywhere in Canada?

Enjoy the pix!

Dennis
      BrooklynDodger14
      Attached Files

Comment

I haven't seen the blank Expo hats, in my hometown anyway. If I find a place that sells them I will let you know.

I purchased my signed ball from Lucie Favreau Antiques too! They sell alot of interesting and hard-to-find sports related items. I check their ebay store all the time. You never know what you will find.

The Carnavals home uniform would certainly be a wonderful item to have!!

Comment

Lucille Favreau is an outstanding person to deal with - I've bought quite a few historical items, mainly magazines/programs - but for anything related to sports in Montreal she is the best!
          sigpic

Comment

Not sure if Whips' images uploaded correctly...

Originally posted by brooklyndodger14[IMG
            http://www.baseball-fever.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14204&stc=1&d=11582683 13[/IMG]

I found this last spring on eBay: a replica of the Winnepeg Whips home jersey (I didn't win it, though... %^*(^!!) and an isolated view of the team logo, with all the classy characteristic graphics befitting the Expos' "look"!

I will post the Quebec Carnival logo when I get home...

Enjoy!

And a heartfelt welcome to Ex-Expo! We are honored by your presence and look forward to hearing any thoughts you might want to share about your Expos experience! Alas, since the 2004 "Diaspora", genuine Expo stories from the inside will be incresaingly hard to find....

Again, Bienvennue!

I'm not sure if Whips' images uploaded correctly... I couldn't get them at home, so here goes again...

Dennis
            BrooklynDodger14
            Attached Files

Comment

Unidentifed Expo Minor Leaguers

The majority of these players are pitchers who played in the Expos minor league system in the early 70's. I believe Stanley Jok was the son of the ex major-leaguer of the same name. Evans is listed as Larry E. Evans in most Sporting New Baseball Guides of that era. Juan Camarena pitched for Jamestown in 1971, Joe Leeder pitched for Jamestown in 1971-1973 and Keith Tinsley was an outfielder in the Gulf Coat League in 1970 and a pitcher for Jamestown in 1971. Steve Keller pitched from the Winnipeg Whips in 1971 and West Palm Beach Expos in 1969-1971 and Denis McSween is a native of Quebec. I am in Winnipeg and saw the Whips probably 50 times in their short existence. I am presently compiling minor league statistics for many of these players from Sporting News Baseball Guides and may have some statistics or access to some that may of interest to both you and SABR-Quebec. If you have any interest, shoot me off an E-Mail. Thanks

Larry Ryall

Originally posted by exposhistory
              Hello Ex Expo - I'm compiling the minor league record of the franchise, do any of these names look familiar?

Bolden, Bill
              Babcock, Bob
              Jackson, Charles
              Ker, Clifford
              McSween, Denis
              Tackitt, Glen
              Horsch, James
              Gomez, Jose
              Dostaler, Michel
              Turner, Rick
              Williams, Robert
              Keller, Stephen
              Ayers, Steven
              Bettis, Terrill

Some other yet nto identified:
              ?Evans
              ?Jok
              ?Tinsley
              ?Leeder
              ?Camarena

Comment

Winnipeg Whips Logo

These are pretty good. From what I can remember, the Whips jerseys were identical to the ones the Expos wore in 1970-1971 with the exception of the logo. Somewhere packed away, I have a couple of programs with the logo and some player autographs on the front. I will try and dig them up and see if there is any different ones.

Larry Ryall

Originally posted by brooklyndodger14
                I'm not sure if Whips' images uploaded correctly... I couldn't get them at home, so here goes again...

Dennis
                BrooklynDodger14

Comment

Ex Expo

I just came accross this site and noticed a message from Ex Expo back in August. I also played on the Jamestown Falcons in 1971 and would be interested in hearing form you if you still check the message boards.

Joe

Comment

Well Joel, we'd sure be interested in learning a little about yourself and your experiences in professionnal baseball, especially your days in Jamestown, if your interested in sharing a little bit of that with us. And welcome to Baseball Fever, hope you'll stick around to participate in all the good baseball talk that goes on around here.
                    From now until the end of September, I'll be chronicling in real time on Twitter the 1946 season of the International league's Montréal Royals, when Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier in professional baseball. Check it out: https://twitter.com/Royals_46season

Comment

Thanks Gus. I joined the Expo organization in 1971 as one of a few Canadian players. That year Denis McSween and Michelle Dostaler ere also from Canada. The manager was Edie Sadowski. Because we were from Canada we were not involved in the draft back then. The high draft choices that yera were Dan Warthan (2nd) and Glen Tackit 3rd. Interestingly, the #1 choice that year (a shortstop) did not sign. He signed a football scholarship at Tennesee and went on to be astar in the CFL (Condrege Holloway).

I played in the organization for thee summers and then went to spring training again the fourth year before being released. It was great fun and there were many great young kids that went through the organization and many others that went on to have great major league careers.

Comment

Happy Birthday Gus!!

Hi there AG.

I wanted to wish you a very happy birthday. May your wishes come true.

Have a nice day.

Comment

Thanks.

Just started it off with a cool almost 11 hour workday.

Starts with a bang

I'tll just keep on improving with My Montréal University Carabins football team crushing Laval University in about 4 hours from now.

A good day to all!
                          From now until the end of September, I'll be chronicling in real time on Twitter the 1946 season of the International league's Montréal Royals, when Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier in professional baseball. Check it out: https://twitter.com/Royals_46season

Comment

Jamestown 1971

I guess I sould check these boards more often. I knew and played with all the guys from the Expos minor league system listed above. My general feeling was that the system was very well run by some good baseball people. I think that the success that Montreal enjoyed fairly soon after its inception as an expansion team bears out my belief. We had quality players, many of whom advanced to the bigs and did well. The only Joe I remember from Jamestown '71 was Joe Leeder, a big Canadian right handed pitcher who was pretty good.

Cliff

Comment

Originally posted by Big Toad View Post
                              The majority of these players are pitchers who played in the Expos minor league system in the early 70's. I believe Stanley Jok was the son of the ex major-leaguer of the same name. Evans is listed as Larry E. Evans in most Sporting New Baseball Guides of that era. Juan Camarena pitched for Jamestown in 1971, Joe Leeder pitched for Jamestown in 1971-1973 and Keith Tinsley was an outfielder in the Gulf Coat League in 1970 and a pitcher for Jamestown in 1971. Steve Keller pitched from the Winnipeg Whips in 1971 and West Palm Beach Expos in 1969-1971 and Denis McSween is a native of Quebec. I am in Winnipeg and saw the Whips probably 50 times in their short existence. I am presently compiling minor league statistics for many of these players from Sporting News Baseball Guides and may have some statistics or access to some that may of interest to both you and SABR-Quebec. If you have any interest, shoot me off an E-Mail. Thanks

Larry Ryall
                              Hi, I have just found this sight and it is sure interesting. You sure are mentioning a lot of people that i played ball with in those years. I originally came through the Pirate Organization and ended up with the Expos. I played with the Expos in West Palm, under Lance Nicholls and sure would like to know what happened with a lot of these players, especially Denis McSween my old buddy. I knew he was from Que. but, not really where in Que. I had always thought it was in and around Montreal. If anybody knows more about him i would be happy to learn anything. My name is Rod Dirks, I don't know if anybody remembers me but I was a 6'5'' left handed pitcher from New Westminster B.C. I would sure like to know where I could get some info of myself from those days. I wouldn't know where to even look. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by exposhistory View Post
                                Hello Ex Expo - I'm compiling the minor league record of the franchise, do any of these names look familiar?

Bolden, Bill
                                Babcock, Bob
                                Jackson, Charles
                                Ker, Clifford
                                McSween, Denis
                                Tackitt, Glen
                                Horsch, James
                                Gomez, Jose
                                Dostaler, Michel
                                Turner, Rick
                                Williams, Robert
                                Keller, Stephen
                                Ayers, Steven
                                Bettis, Terrill

Some other yet nto identified:
                                ?Evans
                                ?Jok
                                ?Tinsley
                                ?Leeder
                                ?Camarena
                                Hi, my name is Rod Dirks, and a lot of those names are familiar, I played with a lot of them in West Palm and lived with a lot of them out on
                                Singer island. Those sure were good old days. I was a tall 6'5'' pitcher from New Westminster, British Columbia. I don't know if anyhbody remembers me, but, I had joined the Expos at Daytona and shipped to West Palm from there. I had come over from the Pirates. Good friends in those days were Bill Bolden, Glen Tackitt and his wife and of course my good old friend Denis McSween and his cutey little wife. Any info of these guys or myself sure would be great to see. I wouldn't evn know where to go and look for it. I just happened on to this site. I would thank you for any help you could give me.

ROD

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X