Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good ole days

Rod,

You must have joined the organization after I left ('71). As a result of this board, I looked for Denis Mc Sween and found him. I also played with Tackitt. I believe he is in Texas some place.

Cliff Ker

Comment

Originally posted by Ex Expo View Post
      Rod,

You must have joined the organization after I left ('71). As a result of this board, I looked for Denis Mc Sween and found him. I also played with Tackitt. I believe he is in Texas some place.

Cliff Ker
      Hi Cliff thanks for answering me. I believe Glen Tackitt was from Witchita Falls, well at least he was when I knew him. About McSween, I couldn't find him at all and you did, way to go. Could you tell me how you went about finding him and how i could contact him? Ya according to what you say I didn't even get to the Expos until you were already gone. Where did you go from there? Where are you from?

Thanks ROD

Comment

Rod,

Yes, Tackitt was from Wichita Falls. McSween was and still is from Valleyfield, Quebec. I found him through his curling club in Valleyfield. He told me he has worked for Molson for many years and will retire soon.

I am from L.A. Still here. '71 was my last year in organized ball. Since I quit, I have seen Ray Valenzuela, Bombo Rivera, Chip Lang, Barry Foote, and Dale (Tex) Murray. All were teammates in the minors and good people.

Cliff

Comment

Now there is a name from the past Bombo Rivera, haha. Played with him in West Palm. What i remember most about him is they found him in the sticks somewhere and the size of the bloody bat he used. It's barrel was bigger around than my head. Barry Foote as well, sure miss those guys and the great days. Somebody should put together a get together. I remember when I played with Ellis Valentine he came to camp with a new great big Detroit Land Yacht and about 50 different types of hats in the backseat. Wore one everyday. I thought i had a good arm til I saw him throw a ball right out of the stadium from deep centrefield. Parrish, Valentine, and mhyself were jacking around in centrefield throwing balls as far as we could. Boy did i get a Canadian eye opener.

Comment

Nostalgia

Yes, that would be very cool to have some sort of reunion. There were a lot of good people and really good baseball players in the Expos system back then. So many talented people never made it to the show.

Comment

Wow, it's cool that we have some people reading/posting who actually played with some of the most famous Expos at such a high level. Awesome reading about it! Feel free to share some more stories and Welcome to the Fever:cap:
              Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Montreal and Vermont

I had the great joy of seeing a game in Montreal in August of the last year they were there. Bought ticket eight rows back of home plate the day of the game. It cost $25. Had the best time taking the train to and from the park. The under area was spaciuos and clean. Why did so many people dis such a great place for a game? I'll bet that place was rocking when the team was on a roll. What was it like when it was open to the outdoors?

May I also compliment the fans that were there. I think the total was about 7900, but they were great at making noise and staying behind that team that day. I was jumping and screaming as they won in the bottom of the inning. Is there any talk of any team at any other leve ever coming back there?

On a side note: does anyone know of a source that has Vermont Expos items? I have been looking for a logo ball from them for a few years and still have found none.

Comment

Nostalgia

Since I don't want this thread to die I want to let everyone know that, as a result of the messages here, I have talked on the phone with my old teammate Denis McSween and swapped voice mail messages with Joe Leeder. I have also talked recently with Brian Finnerty. We all played for the Jamestown Falcons in 1971. If you happen to be in Jamestown, you can go to the College Inn and see a team photo of the '71 Falcons. We had a few good beers, I mean times there.

Comment

1972 Jamestown Falcons

Sorry, I don't have anything from the 1971 season, however, here's a scan of the scorecard from 1972. Note that this is truly a scorecard, heavy cardstock folded in the middle.
                    Attached Files
                    "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

Comment

1972 Jamestown Falcons roster...

Slipped inside the scorecard was a mimeographed lineup of the Jamestown Falcons. The opponents that night were the Niagara Falls Pirates, managed by Chuck Cottier. Omar Moreno is the only name for the Pirates that I remember-he was listed as an outfielder.

Note that Larry Parrish is on the roster for Jamestown as is Joe Leeder.
                      Attached Files
                      "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

Comment

OK, I was wrong...here's 1971

I do have a 1971 scorecard, just had to dig a little deeper in my "treasures".
                        Attached Files

Comment

1971 Jamestown Falcons roster

Here's the 1971 Jamestown Falcons roster, along with the opponent, the Batavia Trojans.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Very cool stuff

Yes, I have a scorecard from 1971, too. I was number 24. We had some great players on that team but finished dead last in the NY/Penn League. I know that Tony and Bombo were moved up during the season as well as a few others. Sadowski was a good man and a very good manager.

Comment

Expos

It was nice to see that Dan Warthen was promoted to pitching coach for the Mets. He is a great guy and was a promising pitching prospect back in Jamestown in 1971. He ended up playing for Watertwon that year. He was drafted ahead of Mike Schmidt and George Brett.

Comment

I've been compiling a list of all players in the system - I have approximately 3,800 names so far- any data for minor-leagues pre-1978 is hard to compile and often incomplete. The earliest complete data I could find is the '73 Expos organizational record book. Here's what I've compiled so far on the '71 Jamestown Falcons ... if you have anything you could add that would be appreciated.

Ayers, Steven P Atlanta, GA, USA 6'1" 170 Left Left Walker School High School (Decatur,GA) 1971-June Regular Phase-9
                                Conlan, Harry OF West Haven High School (West Haven,CT) 1970-January-Phase-5
                                Croswell, Robert INF Mississippi State University 1971-June Secondary Phase Delayed-2
                                Dostaler, Mike P Montreal, QC, Canada 6'2" 160 Right Right Old Montreal College
                                Gonzalez, Hector INF
                                Jackson, Charles P 1970-June Regular Phase-28
                                Ker, Clifford P Los Angeles Valley Junior College 1970-January Secondary Phase-2
                                Mcsween, Denis P Valleyfield, QC, Canada 6'2" 170 Right Left Valleyfield Science HS
                                Rothe, Walt P University of Texas 1971-June Regular Phase-8
                                Tackitt, Glen P Wichita Falls, TX 6'1" 185 Left Left Ryder (Wichita Falls,TX) 1971-June Regular Phase-3
                                Scott, Tony OF Cincinnati, OH, USA 6'0" 175 Switch Hitter Right Withrow High School (Cincinnati,OH) 1969-June Regular Phase-71
                                Peguero, Felix INF El Seybo, Dominican Republic 5'11" 150 Right Right San Vicente HS
                                Tinsley, Keith OF-P
                                Camarena, Juan P
                                Correa, Juan INF
                                Evans, Larry P
                                Field, Dan C
                                Jok, Stanley P Univ. of Buffalo
                                Valenzuela, Ray OF Bassett High School (La Puente,CA) 1970-June Regular Phase-19
                                Last edited by exposhistory; 06-21-2008, 11:59 AM.
                                sigpic

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X