No announcement yet.

Expos minor league teams

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lmaynard116. I just saw your post. I can't say that I remember your father yet the name does sound familiar. I was in the minor leagues during the time period you mentioned '72 or '73. What position did your father play, was he drafted out of high school or college and what city/state was he from? Perhaps this might jog some memory for me. As for baseball cards, TOPPS took pictures at spring training for minor league players but I don't think they ever used the cards unless you eventually played MLB.

Comment

I was bopping around on the internet the other day and decided to "google" the name of a friend of mine who played in the Expos' minor league system in the '70s to see what, if anything, would come up. Along with some other Expos statistics web sites, his name came up here on the list of players from the first page. His name is Mark Cunningham, although I know him as Gabby. We met in 1980.

Mel Didier, who was the Expos' minor league director (I think that was his title) when Gabby was there, left major league baseball for a couple of years. Mel was named the head baseball coach at the University of Southwestern Louisiana (now the University of Louisiana at Lafayette) and he brought a few guys with him as assistants. Gabby was one of them. I think Mel had caught up with Gabby just before he came down here at Humbolt State University. Gabby was working with a young player that Mel ended drafting for the Indians, Jack Fimple. I met Jack at spring training with the Indians in 1981. As a matter of fact, they moved me to catcher at spring and Jack was nice enough to give me a brand new catcher's mitt. It's the only thing I still have from my playing days.

Gabby stuck around Lafayette for a few years after Mel went back to major league baseball. For those who might remember Gabby, you would know that he is very laid back and his needs are simple. Good thing, too. We lived in an old house just outside of town and, for a while, we didn't have any electricity. We couldn't afford it. We could afford, though, an old shipping box for a table, a checker board, and a bottle of Jack Daniels. It's amazing how those checkers could move around the board by themselves after a while.

When Gabby left Lafayette, he moved up to Shreveport to work with one of the other ex-Expo players. All I can remember is his name is Bob and he works for a milk company. Gabby stayed in Shreveport for a couple of years. When Gabby's father became ill, he moved back to California to be close to him. His father has since passed away. Gabby is still in California. Now he's taking care of his mother.

Gabby has come back to Lafayette a time or two since he's been back in California. Last time was a couple of years ago. I still talk with him every few months.

I'm not certain if anyone will remember Mark/Gabby. He never made it to the major leagues and obviously his is not a household name. I remember him, though. He's my friend...

Comment

Expos Minor League Teams

Since no one has posted here for almost three months I decided I had better keep the thread alive. Mel Didier was the Expos Minor League Director when I was in the system (1970-71). Good man and a great baseball guy. Most of the Expos execs had come from the Atlanta Braves. Gabby must have played after my time as I did not know him.

Cliff

Comment

More nostalgia

I got a message from the son-in-law of Juan Camarena - one of my Jamestown teammates. Interesting how many contacts I have made on this site thirty eight years after i quit playing.

Comment

Originally posted by exposhistory View Post
            Lucille Favreau is an outstanding person to deal with - I've bought quite a few historical items, mainly magazines/programs - but for anything related to sports in Montreal she is the best!
            hear, here ! i can second that !
            the turd in the punchbowl
            reality really sucks.
            enjoy the game more...

Comment

Hi,
              I'm interesting in contacting former members of the Expos' organization, including players who were in the minors. I'm a broadcaster in Montreal who wrote a book that will be launched hopefully by the end of the year. Just type my name on amazon.com for more info.
              You can contact me via my e-mail address: althetiger@hotmail.com
              Thanks and hope to hear from you soon!
              Alain Usereau

Comment

This was a great thread. I grew up in Palm Beach County and went to WPB Expos games with my father for many years at Municipal Stadium in the 1970's.

I still have some memorabilia from those days.

If there any former WPB Expos or fans of the WPB Expos, I would enjoy reading about your memories.

Comment

Originally posted by Lmaynard116 View Post
                  hey guys, i just joined this site cause i saw this thread - im actually trying to find information on my dad. he graduated high school in '72 or '73 and played baseball for one of the montreal expos minor league teams. His name is David Faubert - if anyone can give me information on what minor league team he was on, if you remember him, or if you know where i could find information PLEASE let me know! I have been looking for a LONGGG time. Also, would the expos minor leagues have baseball cards from the 70s? Id love to find his card. . . thanks for any info you can give me
                  I don't remember his name as being a West Palm Beach Expo in the 1970's.

There was a set of cards done for the 1975 WPB Expos.

The only reason I know it was 1975 was because I remember James Baby being in the card set and when I looked him up he only played in 1975 with the WPB Expos.

Comment

I've been working on a research about the Expos organization for over two years and I haven't found anything about Mr David Faubert. First time I ever heard about him. I don't think he ever played for the Expos organization.

Comment

WPB Expos

Originally posted by althetiger View Post
                      I've been working on a research about the Expos organization for over two years and I haven't found anything about Mr David Faubert. First time I ever heard about him. I don't think he ever played for the Expos organization.
                      I still have some materials from the WPB Expos of the 70's, including some of that card set.

Comment

Originally posted by althetiger View Post
                        I have some materials I would like to give away to any ex-WPB Expos from the 1970's or their families.

Comment

You know not only can you find out the teams that played for the Montreal Expos and when... but nearly all of them can be found at www.digitalballparks.com with full galleries of every ballpark the Expos have ever utilized for Major leagues, Minor Leagues... Spring Training. Actually for every team in history. Our evolving website already has 671 Baseball Stadiums and approaching 16,000 hi resolution photographs. If you want to know what stadiums the Expos used, don't you want to get all that information and see the photographs of those ballparks as well?

Over 1 million fans can't be wrong
                          www.digitalballparks.com

P.S. we are ALWAYS trying to find more photographs of ballparks that are no longer standing. We don't need ballparks that are still here. We have those. We need ones that are long gone. Please let us know if you have any!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X