Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resurgence of Expos gear

...among the hip hop set.

You know, I'm pretty gangster myself. I might pick up a bomb hoodie or some such item.
    Oh for a sunny afternoon at Sicks...

Yeah, they're absolutely everywhere... saw a green Expos cap yesterday. It just doesent feel right if you ask me.
    From now until the end of September, I'll be chronicling in real time on Twitter the 1946 season of the International league's Montréal Royals, when Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier in professional baseball. Check it out: https://twitter.com/Royals_46season

Comment

I just bought an Expos hat a few months ago with sort of the same idea. Represent a team that doesn't exist, kind of a dumb concept but it's still kind of a popular thing to do.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RationalNYYfan View Post
        I just bought an Expos hat a few months ago with sort of the same idea. Represent a team that doesn't exist, kind of a dumb concept but it's still kind of a popular thing to do.
        Brooklyn Dodger gear has been selling well for years.

Comment

Montreal rapper S. Rimsky Salgado, who performs under the name Imposs, is making more than a fashion statement when he wears one of his three Expos caps on stage. "The statement we are making is you can sell the team, but you can't take away the soul of what it represented for so many years," he said.

"It was a franchise that was loved by a lot of people. They were always the underdog, a smaller market team that always competed," he said. "I think that stayed in the hearts of a lot of people."
          These parts really stood out to me, because that's exactly how I feel. Although, Montreal is actually a mid-sized market that was proven to be able to support a team. It's just bad ownership that did the Expos in.

I hope that this spike in merchandise sales will send a message to MLB that the Expos need to return. I look forward to the day when I can root for my NL team again.

Comment

One of the reasons that I believe baseball will return one day to Montreal like it returned to Milwaukee and Kansas City.

With the Canadian dollar strong these days there's a good chance to build a case for Montreal in the next round of expansions. Since all of the last expansion franchises have made the playoffs at least once now, I suspect that might happen sooner than we think.

Comment

Originally posted by Imgran View Post
              One of the reasons that I believe baseball will return one day to Montreal like it returned to Milwaukee and Kansas City.

With the Canadian dollar strong these days there's a good chance to build a case for Montreal in the next round of expansions. Since all of the last expansion franchises have made the playoffs at least once now, I suspect that might happen sooner than we think.
              I'm not sure how financially successful that can be. I've heard plenty of theories about how Selig single-handedly tried to get baseball out of Montreal. If this theory is true, then I'm not sure the MLB has any interest in returning. Furthermore, I don't expect the American dollar to stay this weak for any longer than the next 3 and a half years. As soon as this crazy spending slows down and this clown is out of the White house we may hopefully begin to repair, but that's neither here nor there.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JaysExpos View Post
                I hope that this spike in merchandise sales will send a message to MLB that the Expos need to return. I look forward to the day when I can root for my NL team again.
                It's not clear that's the message being sent.

Originally posted by Darleph Cazeneuve
                I'm pretty sure most of the people you see wearing the baseball caps, ask them to name three players from the last Expos season and they won't be able to tell you. It really has nothing to do with the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by spark240 View Post
                  It's not clear that's the message being sent.
                  While that may be slightly true, without the Expos ever existing, there would have never been any merchandise to begin with. Excluding the ones that only wear the merch because it looks cool, people are obviously being drawn to the team now, because they want it back. And to be honest, who would want to even remember who the players were for the last season of the Expos? It was a horrible year.

Comment

While that may be slightly true, without the Expos ever existing, there would have never been any merchandise to begin with.
                    There wouldn't be "Expos" gear, so Montreal pride would have been expressed some other way. Either way, it doesn't seem to have much to do with baseball.

Comment

The city of Montreal is and will always be a hockey hotbed. Baseball will always play second fiddle to hockey. However I do believe that a combination of events caused baseball to crash in Montreal. One...bad ownership. Two...a bad stadium. There was nothing physically appealing about Olympic Stadium. If they had a nice downtown ballpark perhaps more people would have come. Look at Cleveland as an example. They played in a virtual mausoleum for years and now the Jake is considered to be one of the best parks in baseball. Fans also flock to the Jake. Could a baseball resurgency happen in Montreal? It could but I think that is is very doubtful in the near future.

Comment

Originally posted by icee82 View Post
                        The city of Montreal is and will always be a hockey hotbed. Baseball will always play second fiddle to hockey. However I do believe that a combination of events caused baseball to crash in Montreal. One...bad ownership. Two...a bad stadium. There was nothing physically appealing about Olympic Stadium. If they had a nice downtown ballpark perhaps more people would have come. Look at Cleveland as an example. They played in a virtual mausoleum for years and now the Jake is considered to be one of the best parks in baseball. Fans also flock to the Jake. Could a baseball resurgency happen in Montreal? It could but I think that is is very doubtful in the near future.
                        Funny, I got to see Olympic Stadium in person for the first time ever yesterday. I got off at the Pie IX metro stop and saw the exterior of the stadium. The place looks big, but just the spaceship feel to it in general looks a little rediculous. Plus the neighborhood isn't that great - not for Montreal standards. Perhaps if they built it somewhere closer downtown it would have gotten a bit more publicity.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by spark240 View Post
                          There wouldn't be "Expos" gear, so Montreal pride would have been expressed some other way. Either way, it doesn't seem to have much to do with baseball.
                          So you're saying people who might not be the biggest baseball fans wear hats, etc. of the team from their city? Never would have thought of that. If that's the case, then the spike in merch sales over the years also has "nothing to do with baseball". Which means that the Expos are, at the very least, on par with all the other teams. What's remarkable here though, is that the Expos haven't played a season in 5 years. You cannot deny that that is significant.

Originally posted by icee82 View Post
                          Being second fiddle in a market the size of Montreal aint too shabby. It's not like the city is only big enough for one team. The Habs are the Yankees of hockey, so obviously they will be the bigger draw.

Come summer time, Baseball is just as much Canada's pastime as it is for the United States. Quebec actually has a very rich baseball history dating back to the 19th century. There's absolutely no reason an MLB team cannot be successful in Montreal. You actually brought up many valid points as to what was the downfall of the Expos.

It's very true that Cleveland struggled for much longer than the Expos in a crappy stadium with only a few thousand fans showing up nightly. They threatened to move for decades.

The Pirates are struggling now, but we all know they will never move, like the Indians. There is too much history there. It's like the Expos got the short end of the stick because they're an expansion franchise and they're Canadian. Which is ridiculous, because Canada is just as much a baseball nation as the US.

Baseball can and will work in Montreal, just like it has in other markets that were once deemed poor (San Diego, Milwaukee, etc).

Comment

So you're saying people who might not be the biggest baseball fans wear hats, etc. of the team from their city? Never would have thought of that. If that's the case, then the spike in merch sales over the years also has "nothing to do with baseball". Which means that the Expos are, at the very least, on par with all the other teams. What's remarkable here though, is that the Expos haven't played a season in 5 years. You cannot deny that that is significant.
                            Significant in what way?

Significant in representing interest in bringing baseball back to Montreal? Yes, I deny that.

I'm not against baseball in Montreal. Montreal was one of the great minor league cities for many years. Major league baseball might be viable in Montreal too, if it were done right.

I don't think any of that is necessarily represented by how many Expos hats are selling, no more than the spike in Birmingham Barons cap sales (after Britney Spears wore one in a video or something) represents anything about minor league baseball fandom in Alabama.

Comment

Couple of things here. A) The fact that the Expos, being a defunct team, see their merch sales go up as part of this post-modern-retro-chic fad dosent mean there's a public support for the return of baseball in this city. Ut just means that... were in the middle of a post-modern-retro-chic fad. Were everything either old or ugly is cool, for a reason I don't completely understand. Reading more into it is a mistake, IMHO.

B) I've been saying over and over, and I will say it again, Montréal has not always been a one team market like it is today. Far from it. The Canadiens almost moved to Cleveland in the late 20's. Professional wrestling was every bit as popular as hockey for a while, with Yvon Robert (a professional wrestling champion from Québec) being on par with Maurice Richard as far as popularity was concerned. The Royals for some stretches of their history were as popular as the Canadiens. During their A-days, in the late 70's and early 80's, the Expos were cool, the Canadiens were establishement. Expos gear was everywhere in the streets while Canadiens' gear was nowhere to be found. The Expos drew huge crowds at the big O. The Canadiens are all-mighty in this market right now (even though they suck), being the only pro team in town. But it wasn't always the case. And it's cyclical. It wont always be that way. There's plenty of room for a baseball team in the Montréal market.
                              From now until the end of September, I'll be chronicling in real time on Twitter the 1946 season of the International league's Montréal Royals, when Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier in professional baseball. Check it out: https://twitter.com/Royals_46season

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X