If Dawson gets in the hall does he go as an Expo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Dawson gets in the hall does he go as an Expo

I have to edit my own post sinde he did actually get in. Does he wear an Expos hat?
    Last edited by aqib; 01-06-2010, 12:05 PM.

I would be very surprised if he didn't.

Comment

He should. I suppose the Cubs can settle for retiring his number, but that's up to the Cubs. I highly doubt they'll retire the #8.
      RIP Ronnie James Dio (July 10, 1942 - May 16, 2010).

Comment

On its front page and in its article about the 2010 election, the Baseball Hall of Fame web site is currently using a photo of Dawson in his Expos uniform, if that's any indication. The Hall of Fame selects the logo depicted on the plaque "based on where that player makes his most indelible mark."

Comment

it is a borderline case here, I mean he could go in in either the cubs or the expos, congrats dawson you deserved it

Comment

He had 20 years in the bigs 10 in Montreal 6 in Chicago 2 each in Boston and Florida. Its a combination of time and impact. So a guy like Mark McGwire can go in as a Cardinal even though he spent more time with the As. They do take personal preference.

Interesting take:

http://bases.nbcsports.com/2010/01/s...laque.html.php

Comment

MVP notwithstanding, his HOF credentials were largely built up as an Expo.

Comment

Congratulations to Andre Dawson and the Montreal Expos fans of Quebec and everywhere.

If I could, I would write in French
                "next, Jacques Doucet"

Comment

Be good to see him go in as an Expo.

Kind of a slap in the face to the slimeballs (Selig included) who sabotaged the Montreal franchise though. Might be some pressure applied to associate him with the lovable cubby-wubbies instead.

Comment

I hope so.
                    "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
                    Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

He definitely should be inducted as an Expo. I'd be disappointed if he wasn't.
                      "Statistics are used much like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support, not illumination."
                      -Vin Scully

Comment

He should join Gary Carter in the Hall as an Expo..

(And the Nationals should honor their history).

Comment

Something more here. (Sent to me by the SABR's Montreal chapter.)
                          « But what's puzzlin' you is the nature of my game... »

Comment

He needs to go in as an Expo. It would cost nothing, and it would be a gesture from baseball to the fans, something like "you are not forgotten!"

Comment

With Montreal from 1976 to 1986, Andre Dawson played 55% of his career games. After all those kind words and compliments he deserves, let's see where he ranks among the leaders in the club history. Then, let's have a look at his records, best streaks, and awards as one of the very best of Nos Amours. I apologize for the length of this post, but I really think all that stuff was worth mentionning.

How the Hawk ranks among the Montreal Expos career leaders
                              1443 games played - 4th
                              6138 plate appearances - 3rd
                              .280 batting average - 11th
                              .476 slugging percentage - 6th
                              828 runs scored - 2nd
                              1575 hits - 3rd
                              295 doubles - 3rd
                              67 triples - 2nd
                              225 home runs - 2nd (including 2 grand slams hit on August 13, 1981 @PIT and on September 21, 1985 @STL)
                              587 extra-base hits - 2nd
                              2679 total bases - 2nd
                              838 runs batted in - 2nd
                              354 bases on balls - 9th
                              253 stolen bases - 3rd
                              62 hit by pitches - 3rd
                              71 sacrifice flies - 1st
                              896 strike outs - 2nd
                              103 outfield assists - 1st
                              9006.2 innings (1027 games) played in center field - 1st
                              3262.1 innings (389 games) played in right field - 5th
                              216 win shares - 3rd.

From the record book
                              Most RBIs in a game -- 8, @ Chicago 9/24/85 (also done by 2 other players).
                              Most home runs in an inning -- 2, @ Atlanta 7/30/78, @ Chicago 9/24/85 (also done by 2 other players, but just once each).
                              Most RBIs in an inning -- 6, @ Chicago 9/24/85 (5th inning).
                              Most hits in a doubleheader -- 6, @ Cincinnati 5/7/78 & St. Louis 6/8/80 (also done by 7 other players).
                              Most homers, away (season) -- 22, in 1983.
                              Most consecutive games with a home run -- 4, 9/21/-9/24/85 and 4/17/-4/22/86 (also done by 6 other players).
                              Most consecutive base hits -- 8, from 6/4-6/7/83.
                              Most sacrifice flies in a year -- 18, in 1983.
                              Most triples in a game -- 2, 7/17/77 STL, 8/3/79 NYM, 9/30/80 STL (also done 11 other times; Hawk is the only one who accomplished the feat 3 times).

His best hitting streaks
                              Dawson owns the team's 5th (tied with 3 other players) longest game streak with at least one hit:
                              19 games 7/17/-8/4/80. His numbers : 81 AB, 11 R, 30 H, 6 2B, 0 3B, 0 HR, 14 RBI, 5 SO, 2 BB, 5 SB, 2 CS ,.370 BA, .393 OBP, .444 SLG, .837 OPS
                              He also compiled other streaks of 16, 14, 13 (twice), 12 (3 times), and 10 games (twice).

His awards
                              All-Star Games in 1981, 1982, and 1983.
                              NL Rookie of the Year and member of the Topps Major League Rookie All-Star Team in 1977.
                              NL Gold Glove as an OF in 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, and 1985 (most GGs for an Expo).
                              NL Silver Slugger as an OF in 1980, 1981, 1983.
                              NL Player of the Month in June, 1983 (.304 BA 9 HR 27 RBI).
                              NL Player of the Week, 5/30-6/5/83 (.452 BA 3 HR 8 RBI) and 4/22-4/28/85 (.500 BA 4 HR 11 RBI).
                              The Sporting News NL Player of the Year in 1981.
                              Expos Player of Year in 1981 and 1983.
                              Number (10) retired by the Expos and inducted as a member of the Expos Hall-of-Fame on July 6, 1997.

For those who still have time, patience, and/or interest, this short piece is fun too.

Sources: Baseball-Reference.com, MLB.com, Montreal Expos 2004 Media Guide, and Washington Nationals website, circa 2005.
                              Last edited by Chicoutimi CP; 04-19-2010, 06:37 PM.
                              « But what's puzzlin' you is the nature of my game... »

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X