Dawson: Chapeau d'Expos pour Hall

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by exposhistory View Post
    I still don't understand his "disappointment" (or anyone else's in similar position). Play baseball for a living, make millions, have adoring fans and be enshrined into the baseball HOF. He should be grateful and especially to an organization that gave him the opportunity to play in the big leagues.
    Disappointment doesn't necessarily mean a lack of gratitude, nor does it mean bitterness or anger. I'm disappointed in Dawson's public statements, but I remain grateful for his having served his teams with grace and professionalism over his career. And to be honest, my disappointment probably says more about me than him (players can have their own reasons for feeling a greater sense of allegiance to one club over another, apart from just the numbers).
    Last edited by tinseltown; 01-31-2010, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MSUlaxer27 View Post
      I haven't been able to find anything except for Boggs' denials of the clause...kind of odd though that the Hall changed it's former stance of acceding to a players wishes in 2001, after Boggs retired (when the cap stuff was floating arund) but before he was elected.
      Canseco had that clause when he signed with Tampa but he wound up not getting in the Hall. There is also Reggie JAckson who agreed to go in as a Yankee and they agreed to retire his number and gave him a front office job. He is clearly more an A than a Yankee.

As for Dawson, I will just say what I said before, its ok to have a preference, even a strong one, but in light of what has happened to the Expos and their fans, he could have had a bit more class.

Comment

Originally posted by aqib View Post
        Canseco had that clause when he signed with Tampa but he wound up not getting in the Hall. There is also Reggie JAckson who agreed to go in as a Yankee and they agreed to retire his number and gave him a front office job. He is clearly more an A than a Yankee.

As for Dawson, I will just say what I said before, its ok to have a preference, even a strong one, but in light of what has happened to the Expos and their fans, he could have had a bit more class.
        Frank Robinson, Carlton Fisk and Jackson all went in with teams that they played substantially less games with (O's, Bo Sox and Yanks) althought you could make an argument that those organizations are where they made their greatest impact. (I'm not making that argument I'm just saying it could be made.) You could make a similar argument for Dawson. His only MVP and a playoff appearance as a Cub vs. an MVP runner up, ROY and the strike shortened '81 playoffs as an expo.

As far as Dawson goes, he gave Chicago a blank contract to escape Montreal, do you think he cares one bit about anything related to Montreal or the expos? What happened to them has nothing to do with him. You care because you're a fan...it's a business to him.

I can completely understand why he doesn't want to be associated with a dead franchise.

In fairness, he has said thanks to expos fans for supporting him.
        Last edited by MSUlaxer27; 02-11-2010, 04:22 AM.

Comment

Frank Robinson, Carlton Fisk and Jackson all went in with teams that they played substantially less games with (O's, Bo Sox and Yanks) althought you could make an argument that those organizations are where they made their greatest impact. (I'm not making that argument I'm just saying it could be made.) You could make a similar argument for Dawson. His only MVP and a playoff appearance as a Cub vs. an MVP runner up, ROY and the strike shortened '81 playoffs as an expo.

As far as Dawson goes, he gave Chicago a blank contract to escape Montreal, do you think he cares one bit about anything related to Montreal or the expos? What happened to them has nothing to do with him. You care because you're a fan...it's a business to him.

I can completely understand why he doesn't want to be associated with a dead franchise.

In fairness, he has expressed has said thanks to expos fans for supporting him.
          Well the blank contract was due to league wide collusion. I am actually not an Expos fan, I am a Jays fan but I like baseball history of which the Expos are a part. Historical accuracy would dictate he goes in as an Expo. The same reason why that in the announcement show, Dawson was shown as an Expo. Lastly, I will reiterate what I said before its fine with me that he had a preference to go in as a Cub, even if he had a strong preference towards going in as a Cub. Its just his comments disresecting the Expos fans.

Comment

Just curious, because all the articles I have read have him expressing thanks to expos fans for their support of him while he played in Montreal. Do you feel his "disrespect" to expos fans is based on comments he made or just the simple fact that he expressed a desire to go in as a Cub?

Comment

I was happy to see that Dawson will be going into the Hall wearing the Expos cap. It's a unique look that only Tim Raines might be able to also achieve. I'm looking forward to the ceremony and to read lots of great stories about those great 70s-80s teams he was a part of.
              Please read the Baseball Fever Site Policy and FAQ before posting.
              Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Originally posted by Ontarioguy View Post
                I was happy to see that Dawson will be going into the Hall wearing the Expos cap. It's a unique look that only Tim Raines might be able to also achieve. I'm looking forward to the ceremony and to read lots of great stories about those great 70s-80s teams he was a part of.
                Much the like french in the movie "The Holy Grail"...Tell him we already got one...

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...artega01.shtml

Comment

Just curious, because all the articles I have read have him expressing thanks to expos fans for their support of him while he played in Montreal. Do you feel his "disrespect" to expos fans is based on comments he made or just the simple fact that he expressed a desire to go in as a Cub?
                  I recall reading comments in an article when the decision was still up in the air that were disrespectful of Montreal and his time there. I don't recall where I read it otherwise I would post the lnk.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X