Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question on the Expos 5th anniversary night at Jarry Park in 1973.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on the Expos 5th anniversary night at Jarry Park in 1973.

Hello, newbi here,

First, this entire site is incredible. Thanks for the memories.

Recently I saw a picture on which a big cake was brought on the Jarry Park field before a game on a 1973
    night. The occasion was for the Expos 5th anniversay. I was there, I was 5 and it was my first game at the Expos.
    Question: does somebody remember the exact date of that event?

Another question: the same year, in 1973, I went to a game (may be the same game that anniversary one) and this was "Farm Day", and before it started, there were some contests - milking cows contest (Woody Fryman was the winner) - throwing eggs contest etc. I remember being in the bleacher in left field, being impressed by the long throwing distances between the players. I know this one is difficult: but someone remembers the date?

Sorry for my english

Thanks

Yvan

Originally posted by tartag View Post
    Recently I saw a picture on which a big cake was brought on the Jarry Park field before a game on a 1973
    night. The occasion was for the Expos 5th anniversay. I was there, I was 5 and it was my first game at the Expos.
    May 27, 1968 was when the awarding of the Expos franchise was announced, so perhaps then? Another possibility is August 14, the anniversary date of the first payment made to MLB for the franchise.

Comment

The Expos official birthday is August 14th and I believe the event would have been held after that date - Expos were on the road August 14, 1973 but returned to face the Braves on the Friday 17th (night), Saturday 18th (night) and Sunday 19th (day) - I have the same picture in a souvenir book. Woodie Fryman played in AL in 1973 and did not return to the NL until 1975 w/ the Expos . He was with the Phillies until 1972.

Do you recall if the"Farm Day" was night or day and who the opposing team was?
      sigpic

Comment

Hi, guys. Those questions are tough ones. I hope Yvan lets us know how his research turned out if he finds out the answers. I made some research too on my own, especially after reading exposhistory’s post (btw, we miss your site, man). More and more, I think that the photo we have on our mind was not taken on the 5th anniversary. Here is why. I went back to the “Il était une fois les Expos” book. In the 1973 season review, there is no mention at all about the August 17th weekend series against the Braves. On page 188, they talk about the Aug 5th game, a 2-9 sequence at mid August (without any detail from specific games) and then right to the Aug 29th game. I also went to the Globe and Mail archive website. Read articles about the Expos games from the 18th and 20th editions. No mention of the 5th anniversary celebration either. I got nothing about the Saturday’s game because they don’ t publish on Sunday. But right now, my best guess would be that that pic comes from the 8th anniversary celebration that took place at Jarry Park on August 14th, 1976. Maybe I’m wrong, but I come to that conclusion based on the information I have at the moment. Have a good week end, everyone.
        Last edited by Chicoutimi CP; 04-10-2010, 09:16 PM.
        « But what's puzzlin' you is the nature of my game... »

Comment

I found a pic from a 1969 Expos program of the August 14th celebration of the 1st birthday ...

I'm almost certain thyt Woodie Fryman "Farm Day" pic is 1976 (I know I've seen a pciture of that before)... I found a picture of the 5th Anniversary w/ Warren Giles lighting the number 5 candle - it's a night game (Les Expos , Cinq Ans Apres, p. 88). As I mentioned before August 17th and 18th were night games and the previous night game at Jarry was August 4th (they played 2 day games then were on the road from the 7th through the 15th). Logic would make it the 1st game back on the 17th?

The name "Expos" was not revealed until September 5th, 1968 and the logo/colours revealed on January 14th, 1969.
          sigpic

Comment

Deleted because was duplicated in error.
            Last edited by brooklyndodger14; 04-26-2010, 05:50 AM.

Comment

Hello, newbi here,

First, this entire site is incredible. Thanks for the memories.

Another question: the same year, in 1973, I went to a game (may be the same game that anniversary one) and this was "Farm Day", and before it started, there were some contests - milking cows contest (Woody Fryman was the winner) - throwing eggs contest etc. I remember being in the bleacher in left field, being impressed by the long throwing distances between the players. I know this one is difficult: but someone remembers the date?

Sorry for my english

Thanks

Yvan
              Hello Yvan,

I was at that game (my first and only one at Parc Jarry).

It was a Saturday night, August 18, 1973. I got a walk-up ticket for a seat in the back rows of the LF grandstands near the Expos clubhouse.

On entering, everyone received a blue souvenir booklet "Expos Plus 5" which highlighted year-by-year the story of the Expos through game pictures and newspaper quotes in both French and English from 1968 thru 1972. That booklet can still be found either on eBay or from the great Montreal memorabilia shop, Lucille Favreau's.

A cake was brought to the field and with the team surrounding it, all the fans sang "Happy Birthday" and there was a fireworks display from behind the CF batter's eye and the RF scoreboard to cap things off.

As for the game, it was former Expo Carl Morton vs. rookie and future ace Steve Rogers, and the Atlanta Braves beat the Expos in a rain-delayed game, 3-1. One of the additional hightlights was an 8th inning home run by Hank Aaron (his 31st for the season and number 711 or 712 for his career).

Here is the link from Retrosheet:
              http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1...180MON1973.htm

I hope this brings back some memories.

Enjoy and Bienvenue (sp?) to the Fever!

Dennis
              BrooklynDodger14
              Last edited by brooklyndodger14; 04-26-2010, 05:49 AM.

Comment

Thanks very very much guys for the answers.

I'm just amazed and moved by your desire to help. You know, the Expos departure, and I'm sure I'm not the only one to think that, is just pis... me off. All is left are souvenirs. I was five, now I remember the rain, but not the fireworks nor the Hank Aaron home run (geez, so it means I was a witness of home run by the great Hank Aaron...) but I think I remember the Braves white and blue shirts. You know why I remember the rain? Because people used their souvenir booklet "Expos plus 5", mentionned by Dennis, or other program, by sitting on it after the rain has stopped... Remember the aluminium long seats in left fields? Cold and wet. So I was there in the first year of my day camp, my first Major league ball game, my first of many great Expos ball games. Thank you Dennis, yes it was on August 18th 1973 and le Journal de Montréal mentionned it the monday after. So, that game being on a saturday, it means it probably was on TV here in Quebec, on CBC and Radio-Canada... Hum. I would give a lot to put my hands on a tape of that. The same for the radio version - I already verified on Ebay, Mr. Charlie does'nt have it.

Dennis, I have verified on Ebay (Lucie Favreau etc.) and I just can't find the booklet "Expos plus 5" that I probably used that night as a cushion, nor I can't find a ticket stub... So If somebody sees that somewhere, please pm me.

And Dennis, do you have other souvenirs of that particular night? What brought you in Montreal on August 18th 1973?
                Myself, I was impress by the big lights of Jarry Park going back home by bus on Metropolitan Blvd.

Concerning farm day: ExposHistory, I don't remember if it was a night game and I don't remember the year neither... 1973,74, or 75. It could have been August 18th 1973, but I guess Dennis would have told us.
                Sorry for the confusion for Woody Fryman. Woody was the champion at milking cows on farm days at Olympic Stadium. But a thing is clear on my head: there was a throwing eggs contest at Jarry Park and I remember being in the bleacher in left field, being impressed by the long throwing distances between the players and by the language I could not understand at that time.
                Thanks ExposHistory.

And many thanks to every one here,
                MERCI!
                Yvan
                The Expos with a new stadium would have survived. Bring them back home. And I'll do my part for it to happen.

Comment

Dennis, I have verified on Ebay (Lucie Favreau etc.) and I just can't find the booklet "Expos plus 5" that I probably used that night as a cushion, nor I can't find a ticket stub... So If somebody sees that somewhere, please pm me.

And Dennis, do you have other souvenirs of that particular night? What brought you in Montreal on August 18th 1973?
                  Myself, I was impress by the big lights of Jarry Park going back home by bus on Metropolitan Blvd.
                  You are most very welcome, Yvan.

You might be pleased and interested to know that the following eBay/Lucie Favreau item (#380069985085):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...%3DI%26otn%3D1

is of a 1973 edition of the Expos Baseball Magazine, and while the description is of Volume 5/Issue 2, the cover depicted clearly says it is ISSUE 3, and is in fact the cover of the edition that was available during that Braves series and August 18th. It is going for the Buy-It-Now price of $19 (US) plus shipping. I would gladly snatch it up myself but am unemployed at the moment, so I would encourage you to reclaim a small part of your first Expos memory. (See below)

I still have my "Expos Plus 5" but it was ironically water damaged not from that night's rain, but more recently. A big seller that night was the full length Expos rain slicker: white front with an Expos logo, blue hood, and a red back with an arched "expos" spelled in the style of the team lettering.

I was visiting Montreal from NYC that week to see Terre des Hommes and was leaving with my family for Niagra Falls that night. I kind of single-handedly prevented our scheduled departure becasuse I chose to stay at Jarry until the end of the game (I was 16 at the time).

I still have the Molson pocket schedule from that night but am not sure if I still have the scorecard. That night I was very proud to wear my new, authentic Roman Pro Hat model of the Expos cap (The eMb insignia was embroidered directly to the cloth and was not a patch). They were the official caps worn by the team and could be purchased exclusively at NYC's Madison Square Garden Pro Shop (Gerry Cosby's). I bought all my Expos hats there over the decades.

I hope you purchase the magazine.

Dennis
                  BrooklynDodger14
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by brooklyndodger14; 04-28-2010, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Found Montreal Gazette article referencing August 18th, 1973 as the date - no specifics, focus of article was on the series vs Braves.
                    sigpic

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X