Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Toronto-Philadelphia series reminds me of...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Toronto-Philadelphia series reminds me of...

Anyone noticed that this week end, the Phillies and the Blue Jays are playing a 3 game series at Citizens Ball Park? The thing is this series was originally scheduled to take place in Toronto, but because of the G8 Summit meeting that will be going on in the Queen City, MLB has rescheduled the three games in Philly (security concerns).

And the Jays will be fully compensated for the trouble: they will still be the home team (which means that they will be batting last on the other club’s field and that the Phils will be wearing their road uniform), they will have a bigger share of the ticket sales than if they were just the visiting team, and there will be designated hitters. Seems that MLB has learned to treat its teams fairly since the last 20 years or so.

Remember September 13, 1991, when a 55-ton concrete pillar collapsed at the Big O? At the time, the Expos had played 68 home games and 67 away games. And then they had to play the season’s final 26 games on the road as the visiting team, INCLUDING 13 that should have been played in Montreal. Just look here, from 136 and on. Feel free to take a look at each boxscore and you will see for yourself.

Well, maybe Bud and Company came up with a rule that I don’t know about so no team has again to go through what the Expos had to 19 years ago. Or maybe then it was just the Expos that were victims of a "let’s just care of it quickly" subtle attitude. (After all, that wouldn't be the first time, would it...) Or maybe both ?
    Last edited by Chicoutimi CP; 06-25-2010, 03:34 PM.
    « But what's puzzlin' you is the nature of my game... »

The primary difference I see is that each home team is required to provide adequate playing facilities for its home games, which includes ensuring appropriate maintenance contracts are in place. (Yes, in reality the tenant isn't really to blame for the type of failure that happened at Olympic Stadium, but with regards to fulfilling its commitment to MLB, the team was on the hook.) The G20 summit, on the other hand, was in theory an unforeseen cancellation of access that was beyond the control of the Jays. (Of course, it's hard to believe that the potential access problems could not have been determined when the 2010 schedule was drawn up, and the Blue Jays scheduled for a road trip this weekend.)

Comment

They get a better tratement than the 91 Expos, but I still think it's a bad move by the Blue Jays. They should have found a way not to loose those three home dates. Perhaps they tought they could turn a profit by playing those games in Philadelphia. But if Expos fans have learned one thing, it's that you always loose when you trade home field advantage for a cash grab (Puerto Rico, anyone?).

But that kind of unfair relocation happens from time to time. Was it last year that a team (was it Florida or Houston?) had to move games against the Cubs beacuse of a hurricane. And the games ended up being played in Milwaukee, in front of a crowd that was about 98% Cubs fans? I can never quite understand why an organisation agrees to get hosed like that.
      From now until the end of September, I'll be chronicling in real time on Twitter the 1946 season of the International league's Montréal Royals, when Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier in professional baseball. Check it out: https://twitter.com/Royals_46season

Comment

Normally, I'd say just give Philly the three extra home games this year, and next year Toronto gets three extra home games to compensate.

The problem with that is this is interleague play, and since there's no "natural" Philadelphia-Toronto rivalry there's no assurance the two teams would meet next year.
        X
        What's THAT guy doing?
        - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

Originally posted by Augustin_"Gus" View Post
          But that kind of unfair relocation happens from time to time. Was it last year that a team (was it Florida or Houston?) had to move games against the Cubs beacuse of a hurricane. And the games ended up being played in Milwaukee, in front of a crowd that was about 98% Cubs fans? I can never quite understand why an organisation agrees to get hosed like that.
          As I recall, the Astros owner didn't agree until the last minute to give the OK to move the series to a different location, which severly hampered MLB in finding a place to play that was neutral. Perhaps if Drayton McLane had removed his head from his you-know-where earlier, MLB would've had more time to work something out and the games would have been in a spot that was neutral, instead of being forced to settle for a place right next door to Chicago.
          Trusted traders list-
          Mike D. Rockhound, MadHatter

2007 PawSox Dunkin Donuts set: 24/30.

Still need: Kevin Cash, Jacoby Ellsbury, George Kottaras, Jon Lester, Brandon Moss and Ed Rogers.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X