Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If not Expos, what would you name Montreal's team if MLB returns (I choose Harfangs)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If not Expos, what would you name Montreal's team if MLB returns (I choose Harfangs)

I hope and pray that Montreal does return to Major League Baseball someday, and the team should be called the Expos. However, the club would have to use another name should Expos not be available.

Royales, the name of the team in the ill-fated Canadian Baseball League, might do (as would Royals), but Kansas City has Royals and Royales could cause too much confusion.

My pick would be the Montreal Harfangs (French for grey [gray] owl), the Harfang being the provincial bird of Quebec. I know it would be another bird team in the Majors (Orioles, Blue Jays, Cardinals). I would choose that name if Quebec City doesn't use Harfangs for a proposed CFL expansion.

The colours (colors) for the team would be bleu, blanc, rouge, gris, et or (French for Blue, White, Red, Grey [Gray] and Gold). The team could use a variation of the tri-colour caps the Expos made famous.

If you could choose a nickname for the Montreal club (besides Expos), what would you pick?
    MISSISSIPPI BRAVES 10TH SEASON IN THE SOUTHERN LEAGUE 2005-2014

I don't think I'd go for "Expos" as a name for a new Montreal ballclub, just because there would be historical confusion - at some point people might think the "new" Expos have some connection to the original Expos, and while the original Expos' history and legacy should not be ignored in Montreal, by rights they belong to the Washington Nationals.

Off the top of my head I'd think something along the lines of Québécois would be appropriate - or does that strike too much of separatism?

I do like your suggestion that the team's cap continue the tri-color format the Expos used. This would be a visual tie-in to Montreal's previous Major League Baseball club, just as the Mets' cap is supposed to be a combination of the caps of the earlier National League clubs based in the City of New York.
    X
    What's THAT guy doing?
    - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

Fisrt it would be a dream come true if ever Baseball comes back to Montreal (i Hope Soon) and even more meaningful if they would be called "The Montreal Expos"

If you look at Montreal Baseball history we don't have many team names beside the Montreal Royals that dates back to late 1800.

I think we need to have a name that identifies Montreal has a sports city, maybe even names of Hockey teams such as "The Maroons" or "Montreal Wanderers" or we could even call the Montreal Mount Royals which the Royals nickname was derived from the Mount Royal.

But at the end of the day, we MUST keep the name "EXPOS" since this name is in all Montreal people's heart.

I hope Bud Selig is paying attention to Montreal with all the sucess this city is having with Hockey, Soccer and Football, Festivals, F1, etc... all we need is an outdoor Baseball stadium and it would be a garantee sucess.
      Even ex-Expos players admits that all we need is a stadium and this would be a sucess.

I think Baseball moved the Expos at the wrong time, because i feel that there is something going on in Montreal has a city of Baseball.

People often ask the French Radio sports and English sports stations to stop talking about Hockey in summer and they want to talk about Baseball and Expos memories.

Lets go Expos................Vive nous amours.

Comment

Hmmm, maybe the Plateaus?? Never liked Expos.
        Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

The Canadian Corncobs
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by superman1914 View Post
            Fisrt it would be a dream come true if ever Baseball comes back to Montreal (i Hope Soon) and even more meaningful if they would be called "The Montreal Expos"

If you look at Montreal Baseball history we don't have many team names beside the Montreal Royals that dates back to late 1800.

I think we need to have a name that identifies Montreal has a sports city, maybe even names of Hockey teams such as "The Maroons" or "Montreal Wanderers" or we could even call the Montreal Mount Royals which the Royals nickname was derived from the Mount Royal.

But at the end of the day, we MUST keep the name "EXPOS" since this name is in all Montreal people's heart.

I hope Bud Selig is paying attention to Montreal with all the sucess this city is having with Hockey, Soccer and Football, Festivals, F1, etc... all we need is an outdoor Baseball stadium and it would be a garantee sucess.
            Even ex-Expos players admits that all we need is a stadium and this would be a sucess.

I think Baseball moved the Expos at the wrong time, because i feel that there is something going on in Montreal has a city of Baseball.

People often ask the French Radio sports and English sports stations to stop talking about Hockey in summer and they want to talk about Baseball and Expos memories.

Lets go Expos................Vive nous amours.
            In French, the colour (color) maroon is translated into marron, while the translation for wanderer is vagabond, a word that is the same in French and English.

However, if the Expos name does become available, it should be used again. I have a feeling the only way Montreal will get another team is if baseball expands again to either 32 teams (either both in the American League or go to the National League and get either Milwaukee or Washington [the ex-Expos] to jump to the AL) or 36 teams (2 in the NL, 4 in the AL).
            MISSISSIPPI BRAVES 10TH SEASON IN THE SOUTHERN LEAGUE 2005-2014

Comment

When I recreate the Montreal franchise in Baseball Mogul, I use the name the Montreal Chevaliers. I think that might do.

Comment

Originally posted by Imgran View Post
                When I recreate the Montreal franchise in Baseball Mogul, I use the name the Montreal Chevaliers. I think that might do.
                Way too open to mispronunciation.

Che-VAH-Yay!
                Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

It's a francophone city. Whatever you choose will probably celebrate that, and that means Anglophones will stumble over it. It's a fact. Heck, you even saw that occasionally over the Expos.

Comment

Originally posted by Imgran View Post
                    It's a francophone city. Whatever you choose will probably celebrate that, and that means Anglophones will stumble over it. It's a fact. Heck, you even saw that occasionally over the Expos.
                    This is true.

So why Chevaliers? Old movie fans will recognize the name, at least.
                    Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                    Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Well the first thing I would do is survey the fans and see if they want the Expos name back. Like Cleveland fans wanted the Browns name back. While Washington was over the Senators name when the Expos went there. Maroons may work since it has historical significance to Montreal. Plus if I recall correctly the Maroons were a draw for the anglophone crowd while the Habs catered to francophones.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
                        This is true.

So why Chevaliers? Old movie fans will recognize the name, at least.
                        Decent name for a team. The chevaliers were, among other things, knights and warriors. Old-school honor, dignity, fighting spirit -- what's not to like? There's probably better names, but Chevaliers certainly isn't bad.

Comment

Originally posted by aqib View Post
                          Well the first thing I would do is survey the fans and see if they want the Expos name back. Like Cleveland fans wanted the Browns name back. While Washington was over the Senators name when the Expos went there. Maroons may work since it has historical significance to Montreal. Plus if I recall correctly the Maroons were a draw for the anglophone crowd while the Habs catered to francophones.
                          From what I understand the city of Cleveland allowed Art Modell to leave Cleveland but he had to leave the team colors, team history, and team records in Cleveland. The Browns were offically "deactivated" by the NFL for three years and where "reactivated" via an expansion draft although technically the new Browns team was not an expansion team. I think it might be diffucult for a new Expos team to regain the "Expos" name, team history and team records from the Washington Nationals.
                          Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 08-10-2010, 05:11 PM.
                          Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
                            From what I understand the city of Cleveland allowed Art Modell to leave Cleveland but he had to leave the team colors, team history, and team records in Cleveland. The Browns were offically "deactivated" by the NFL for three years and where "reactivated" via an expansion draft although technically the new Browns team was not an expansion team. I think it might be diffucult for a new Expos team to regain the "Expos" name, team history and team records from the Washington Nationals.
                            Yes thats true, but its because the Cleveland fans wanted the name and history to stay. I don't think it would be too hard to get the name from Washington. I dont think they care since they don't acknowledge their Montreal roots. Like how the Twins were cool with the Senators name being reborn.
                            Last edited by aqib; 08-11-2010, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by aqib View Post
                              Yes thats true, but its because the Cleveland fans wanted the name and history to stay. I don't think it would be too hard to get the name from Washington. I dont think they care since they don't acknowledge their Montreal roots. Like how the Twins were cool with the Senators name being reborn.
                              The Nats do acknowledge their Montreal roots. Recently, Andre Dawson was honored at a Nats game for his HoF induction. I find it strange to honor Dawson in a city where he never played a single major league game.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...tnerId=rss_mlb
                              Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X