6 Years ago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 Years ago

I feel like someone special left me, someone special die, yes it has been 6 years since our beloved Expos left us, and i cannot wait to see the day that i am sure they will be back.

Today the sports radio in Montreal Team 990 interviewed former Montreal Expos Brad Wilkerson.

He mentioned how Montreal is a real basebal city despite what other people outside the city says because they do not know all the facts.

After a few minutes Elliot Price asked him, if you were in Montreal and the Expos was in the same situation has the Tampa Bay Rays, how many people would be at the big O...

He Started laughing and said " How many people fit in the Big O"

That is so true, in Montreal we had many reasons to quit on the team, fire sale after fire Sale, but one think i know, if ever the Expos would be almost garantee of a playoff birth, i could surely say the big O would be full to it's max capacity for the last 20-30-40 games if not more.

So Montreal was always the laughing stock of the league, how come no one complains about the Rays very but i mean very poor attendance, or the Nationals given free season tickets for 2010 season if you purchase 2 or more season tickets in certain sections of the stadium, or the Pirates or the Indians and the list goes on and on..........

Is it just because the Expos are from Montreal Canada.........Maybe.....

With all these vary bad attendances across MLB it clearly indicate the very poor Commisioner Selig is.... all he cares is NY Yankees, Boston Red Sox, LA Dodgers.......

Hey all Expos fans we should do what the people in Quebec City is doing this coming week end..... they call it " the Blue Walk" for the former Quebec Nordiques........ thinks are moving in the city with a great maire which is pushing for the return of that Hockey club to the NHL, and they will get it within 2-3 years.

I know the Maire of Montreal is sleeping like a dog, but maybe all he needs is a little shake.......

This is mi little frustation of the day...... let me know all of your thoughts..

Thanks

I've interviewed a number of Expos for my blog - Charlie Lea, Boots Day, Dan McGinn, Mike Gardiner, Derek Aucoin - they all insist that Montreal was a good baseball city. In the series before the strike ended the season in 1994, with the Expos in first place in August, the team was getting more than 34,000 out to their games. What's happening in Tampa right now is sad, especially since it is such an exciting, young ball club with a legitimate shot at winning the World Series. I still say if the Expos won the World Series in 1994, they would have a new ball park and baseball would be thriving in the city today.
    Check out my Canadian baseball history blog called "Cooperstowners in Canada": http://www.kevinglew.wordpress.com

Comment

Yeah i miss the Expos, if ya think about it every decade they developed all-stars in thier minor leagues. I dont really know why they let all these players go every year but if they had kept these guys I doubt they would be gone. But i really think Selig just screwed the Expos like he was trying to screw Minnesotta so he could monopolize all thier fans for his Milwaukee team. I hope they come back. I dont mean to sound rude by saying they would prob still be in Montreal if they had kept all those players because I really dont know why they let all those guys go.
      "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Speaking of those lazy fans in Tampa, Stu Sternberg will move that team once breaking the lease becomes affordable because Florida's too full of yokels who drool over college football to care about their fantastic team.

An AL East team that plays the Yankees, Red Sox and Blue Jays..an ideal fit for Montreal. If the city and provincial government had any sense, they'd buy up some land in downtown, quietly rezone it for a ballpark and give Stu Sternberg a call. A well-off, middle market city with a decent-sized corporate base and none of the territorial rights headaches he'd get if he tried to move the team to New Jersey.

Comment

Originally posted by Bitter Fan View Post
          Speaking of those lazy fans in Tampa, Stu Sternberg will move that team once breaking the lease becomes affordable because Florida's too full of yokels who drool over college football to care about their fantastic team.

An AL East team that plays the Yankees, Red Sox and Blue Jays..an ideal fit for Montreal. If the city and provincial government had any sense, they'd buy up some land in downtown, quietly rezone it for a ballpark and give Stu Sternberg a call. A well-off, middle market city with a decent-sized corporate base and none of the territorial rights headaches he'd get if he tried to move the team to New Jersey.
          An interesting thought. It definitely makes sense geographically!
          Check out my Canadian baseball history blog called "Cooperstowners in Canada": http://www.kevinglew.wordpress.com

Comment

Two years before the end, the Expos' last game of the season was at home on September 29, 2002. I had actually bought tickets to the game back on the home opener, as the death watch was in full force then. Vlad was gunning for his 40th home run to achieve a 40-40 season; Robinson put him in the leadoff spot to maximize his at-bats. In the recent Annakin Slayd tribute video to the Expos, there's a line "Vlad 40-40 and the call they got wrong"; this is in reference to his final at bat, where he was called out on a check-swing appeal (dunno if the call was actually wrong or not, but the fans certainly reacted as if it were, throwing debris on the field). I had a bit of a lump in my throat at the end, as I wasn't sure if this was going to be the last I saw of the team. (When the final homestand came in 2004, I attended the game that turned out to be the team's last home victory. It was a difficult moment to come to terms with -- my final time seeing, in person, the team I had supported for over two decades.)

Comment

I'm not saying I'm the first person to say this..but I read this thread after reading something about TB's awful attendance and it just clicked! It's PERFECT!

Of course the will might not be there..but talk about a team that would be successful in Montreal.

Comment

And the new Expos team could bring Tim Wallach into manage. Perfect!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X