Felipe Alou to receive World Series Ring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Felipe Alou to receive World Series Ring

It's good to hear that Felipe Alou in his ambassador role with the Giants will receive a World Series ring. This might help soften the sting of '94.
    Check out my Canadian baseball history blog called "Cooperstowners in Canada": http://www.kevinglew.wordpress.com

Originally posted by cooperstownersincanada View Post
    It's good to hear that Felipe Alou in his ambassador role with the Giants will receive a World Series ring. This might help soften the sting of '94.
    I'm glad to hear that because I saw the Giants Victory Parade and celebration yesterday live from San Francisco's City Hall on MLB.TV yesterday and Alou seemed to be the one old Giants' star (and manager) that none of the commentators ever mentioned.
    People forget that after Dusty Baker left the Giants in the lurch because of a contract dispute after the 2002 Worlo Series, Alou stepped in and led the Giants to a 100 Win season, which was probably their best regular season finish in history.
    Alou is in a few Latin American Halls Of Fame with a .285 batting average and 2100 hits in slightly over 2,000 games and over 200 home runs (Not the biggest star on his various teams, but certainly a constant threat to opposing pitchers and a solid contributor). As a manager he played an important role in turning the Expos franchise around, and his overall lifetime record from 1992 to 2006, of 1033 wins with 1021 losses for a winning percentage of .503, is better than most. Alou's chance to manage came late in his career. He was already 56 or 57 when he first had the opportunity to manage, but he managed until age 71, and he made the most of his belated chance.
    As a young kid who was signed out of college in The Dominican Republic by the Giants when they were still in New York, and someone who played their first seven years or so in the majors with the Giants, and later managed the team, I'm sure Alou was thrilled with the Giant's success this year. That the team is providing him with a World Series Ring further strengthens the bond between Alou, San Francisco, and The Giants.

-philliesfiend55-

P.S:
    Alou is a proud member of the Half-Century Club. Alou was affiliated with either major or minor league baseball every year as a player, coach or manager for 51 consecutive seasons
    (1956-2006). In 2007 after his retirement from managing, he took a less active role as a consultant with the Giants.
    Last edited by philliesfiend55; 11-04-2010, 05:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by philliesfiend55 View Post
      I'm glad to hear that because I saw the Giants Victory Parade and celebration yesterday live from San Francisco's City Hall on MLB.TV yesterday and Alou seemed to be the one old Giants' star (and manager) that none of the commentators ever mentioned.
      People forget that after Dusty Baker left the Giants in the lurch because of a contract dispute after the 2002 Worlo Series, Alou stepped in and led the Giants to a 100 Win season, which was probably their best regular season finish in history.
      Alou is in a few Latin American Halls Of Fame with a .285 batting average and 2100 hits in slightly over 2,000 games and over 200 home runs (Not the biggest star on his various teams, but certainly a constant threat to opposing pitchers and a solid contributor). As a manager he played an important role in turning the Expos franchise around, and his overall lifetime record from 1992 to 2006, of 1033 wins with 1021 losses for a winning percentage of .503, is better than most. Alou's chance to manage came late in his career. He was already 56 or 57 when he first had the opportunity to manage, but he managed until age 71, and he made the most of his belated chance.
      As a young kid who was signed out of college in The Dominican Republic by the Giants when they were still in New York, and someone who played their first seven years or so in the majors with the Giants, and later managed the team, I'm sure Alou was thrilled with the Giant's success this year. That the team is providing him with a World Series Ring further strengthens the bond between Alou, San Francisco, and The Giants.

-philliesfiend55-

P.S:
      Alou is a proud member of the Half-Century Club. Alou was affiliated with either major or minor league baseball every year as a player, coach or manager for 51 consecutive seasons
      (1956-2006). In 2007 after his retirement from managing, he took a less active role as a consultant with the Giants.
      Great information Philliefiend55. Thanks for sharing!
      Check out my Canadian baseball history blog called "Cooperstowners in Canada": http://www.kevinglew.wordpress.com

Comment

Very good info. It would've been a whole lot sweeter if Alou had been able to guide his Expos to the promised land in 1994 with a WS championship.
        Last edited by Big Mike; 11-05-2010, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
          Very good info. It would've been a whole lot sweeter if Alou had been able to guide his Expos to the promised land in 1994 with a WS championship.
          Yes, indeed. I suppose it's the danger of nostalgia, but I miss the Expos a little more each year.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X