Can Facebook save the Expos?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Facebook save the Expos?

This article is from earlier this month. Is there enough support? I guess we can start somewhere. http://www.stubbornfool.com/2011/12/...ave-expos.html

The photos that have been uploaded by fans on the Facebook page are pretty remarkable. Some real nice gems there. Nice trip down memory lane.
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Here's the group I've been following on Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/ExposNation

Looks like they are organizing a trip to Toronto on September 1st to see the Rays vs. Blue Jays. Wear your Expos gear!

Comment

sorry, Expos already moved away!

Comment

Originally posted by Cap78 View Post
          sorry, Expos already moved away!
          That was uncalled for, Cap.
          Put it in the books.

Comment

If Facebook can cause a revolution, save people who need an organ, then it can bring back a major league team back to Ville Marie. I see the clear obstacle in all of this is Selig. He needs to retire because under his regime, Montreal will never get a team. We can hope the Rays move and Montreal along with the Provincial Government of Quebec & Canada will lure them back up there. Let's hope next time around, the Politicians realize that baseball is important and that they must mend the damaged hearts of millions of baseball fans in QC and in Canada...

So all in all, yes, if there is enough support, then Facebook can be the "jump-off" to bring baseball back to the great city of Montreal.
            sigpic
            h!

Comment

A return of baseball to Montreal will require grass root efforts. Facebook is a decent place to start. Warren Cromartie has been scheduling a series of events to raise awareness and interest in a return of major league club. Stories like the link above (http://www.stubbornfool.com/2011/12/...ave-expos.html) help bring awareness to the public and stirs up conversation.

Comment

I haven't seen this first-hand but supposedly Selig has admitted he made mistakes regarding Montreal. MLB are businessmen, if Montreal provides the best opportunity to make money, they're back in the running regardless of past history.

I really think it can happen. Not in the next five years, maybe not in the next ten, but when the Expos left pretty much everybody gave up on MLB even returning to Montreal again. I don't think that is in any way accurate now, as there's several reasons to be hopeful.

MLB has two franchises in obvious trouble in Oakland and Tampa. The territorial rights issue is not going away for either one. The Canadian economy is strong, and Canadians are now wealthier than Americans. Quebec is a bit poorer than the rest of Canada, but not poor enough to take them out of the running. Montreal's economy is pretty good. The local TV situation is better than when the Expos were there: there is now francophone competition to RDS and there is a sports network war in English, so there are TV opportunities in both languages. TSN and RDS would love to get baseball rights to counterpoint Rogers and TVA's Blue Jays rights. There are still a lot of obvious development opportunities downtown for a new park. The Nordiques are on the verge of coming back, which will empower people (people felt as hopeless when the Nords left as when the Expos left, and they're clearly going to get a team at somepoint) and focus attention on the Expos. People in Montreal are definitely rediscovering baseball.

It'll be tough - where's the prospective owner, where's the stadium? - but it's not impossible.

Comment

They were talking about the possible return of the Expos on TSN 690 today (I think it was during Randy Tieman). He was talking to someone who is supposedly very well connected in the Quebec business community (no name given) and was told that there are two people with the kind of money required to bring MLB back to Montreal and they are interested but not committed. He said it is not something that would happen very soon, and part of it would depend on the election results, but what he was told seemed to hold a ray of hope.

Comment

Talk is cheap, mystery owners smacks of the "florida retirement community" ruse from slapshot.
                    mlb won't allow any us based franchise to leave the country, the political repercussions for mlb would not be worth the headaches. local (florida & cali.) and federal politicians would be falling over themselves to start hearings to reverse anti-trust exemptions, tax breaks for franchises and "saving" us jobs. it's been used before.
                    moving oakland east would create havoc with realignment, do you think that the other owners want only 2 al franchises on the west coast? no, next year they finally have 5-team divisions across the board and this would screw that up.
                    as long as selig and his cronies (many owners) are in power they won't give montreal a sniff, they would have to admit they made a mistake in '05 and they won't. they aren't interested in expansion either, that would decrease the "take" by existing clubs from the new bloated tv contracts, broadcasters like fox don't want to show games from canada either.
                    front office people don't like having to deal with separate income taxes, labor laws, customs snafu's, exchange rates and changing meal money as well as many other issues.

the attitude about quebec among players hasn't changed much since this s.i. article was written in '90...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...7080/index.htm

sorry folks, but nobody in mlb is interested and few in the minors also - ottawa is only talk, the mayor can send out press releases until the ink runs out but no action by the eastern league, not a good sign. over the last 15 years all but one milb franchises were transferred to the us.
                    if you don't believe me, go ask someone who's actually in the biz and get the big picture...
                    Last edited by Paul W; 09-06-2012, 03:09 PM.
                    the turd in the punchbowl
                    reality really sucks.
                    enjoy the game more...

Comment

One of the things about these sort of Facebook groups is that you will have people who support Montreal having a team who aren't going to be fans of the team. There was a Bring Back the Winnipeg Jets group. I was a member, I am and always will be an Oilers fan but I wanted a team back in Winnipeg because they didn't deserve to lose the team. So I would support any attempt to bring baseball back to Montreal but I am a Jays fan.

Comment

nhl isn't mlb.
                        reality really sucks.
                        enjoy the game more...

Comment

I am a life-long Washington Senators fan...from the awful teams in the mid-'50s onward. Typical Washington fans feel that MLB committed a crime in tearing down the Expos. I am delighted to have a team again, and the Nationals work hard to talk about "franchise records" rather than "Washington records". Feel welcome to follow the Nats, and to imagine Walter Johnson pitching to Gary Carter. Still, Montreal deserves a team...and several places just are not baseball towns. Tampa and Miami, for instance. (May Loria be banned from baseball...won't happen, but it would be justice)

Comment

Originally posted by welch View Post
                            ...Montreal deserves a team...and several places just are not baseball towns. Tampa and Miami...
                            on the business side, montreal is no better an mlb market than the other 2 mentioned.
                            mlb had the last place left in n. america available to move a franchise, others who want new
                            mallparks now don't have that leverage.
                            and isn't mlb a business? yes it is...
                            Last edited by Paul W; 10-06-2012, 03:58 PM.
                            reality really sucks.
                            enjoy the game more...

Comment

https://montrealgazette.com/sports/t...ck-to-montreal Stephen Bronfman embraces plan to bring baseball back to Montreal

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X